D10 /D110

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What about D10/D110 Plugin?
Collector of VSTs

You could just get the D-50 plugin for now, but it might be interesting to have a D-110 in software also.

The D-110 has a drum section built-in which is pretty cool, but most drum plugins are much better these days anyway.

Wow I had a D110. It was supremely average. I guess it was a very poor man's D50 but multitimbral and with a lacklustre GM drum kit.

We can all live without this, right?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

At the time they were produced, it was cool to have some decent sounds (but not as full sounding as a D-50) and multitimbral functionality. My brother had one. He wrote several songs using it and added his guitar parts on other tracks afterward.

But these days you can just use multiple tracks of the D-50 plugin in a DAW to get around the multitimbral part.

Had a D110 and it was awful. The only sound I ever used was a slightly modified sitar patch because it was the only one that had any kind of filter squelch. As mentioned, the drums were not even mediocre, the basses were lifeless and weak, the filters sounded horribly metallic, everything was 1-dimensional. It wasn't even useful as some kind of General Midi module. Even Korg M1 drums were better than the D110's. The only bonus was multitimbrality. So, 16 channels of shit instead of 1, yay :party: . They'd have to pay me to use a D110 plugin. TBH none of that LA synthesis stuff ever impressed me much at the time. Useful for pianos, I suppose but not much else.

kritikon wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:56 pm Had a D110 and it was awful. The only sound I ever used was a slightly modified sitar patch because it was the only one that had any kind of filter squelch. As mentioned, the drums were not even mediocre, the basses were lifeless and weak, the filters sounded horribly metallic, everything was 1-dimensional. It wasn't even useful as some kind of General Midi module. Even Korg M1 drums were better than the D110's. The only bonus was multitimbrality. So, 16 channels of shit instead of 1, yay :party: . They'd have to pay me to use a D110 plugin. TBH none of that LA synthesis stuff ever impressed me much at the time. Useful for pianos, I suppose but not much else.
See my memory is sliiiiightly less negative than that. Actually this guy gets the most out of it...

https://youtu.be/u3oQoMtZeTI?si=EtxepEjQoeru75rr
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

We had a D5 and a D110. You get into problems equating it to a D50 though. Even though they're in the same realm of Roland's evolution at the time, these were actually an attempt at giving the market what they felt was either wrong or missing in the D50/550. These were a case of certain "improvements" making it worse.

We loved our little D's. But probably because it really wasn't a 50/550. It could cut through an industrial punk metal setup with its own unapologetically harsh edge.
Yes, if you were expecting a multi D50, you would be very disappointed. But if you played it for what it was, it was a cool (and cheap) little board.
I would venture to say someone could knock out a cheap D5 plug-in , (which IIRC, had no drums) and it could find something to do in many setups. D770 would be good too. But again, that's also a different beast than the 550 or the 5/110.
But if Roland did them for their Cloud, I still wouldn't touch any of them.

I liked the Reso Synth patch. I think that was about it.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:31 pm Wow I had a D110. It was supremely average. I guess it was a very poor man's D50 but multitimbral and with a lacklustre GM drum kit.
We can all live without this, right?
We can all live without yet another emulation of a supremely average analog synth right?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Had a D-10. Only synth I ever sold - at a loss too. It had a good hard case though, maybe I should have kept that.

What about, no?

A plugin version of the worst synth ever made?

I had a D10 back in the day and loved it for being relatively affordable, multitimbral, and programmable when I could only afford one proper synth. I also loved the Atari 520ST I ran it off, but I wouldn't really want either back today :)

BTW it died when my cat pissed on it.

gauderbock wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:22 pm BTW it died when my cat pissed on it.
See, even pets knew the true value of this synth.
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”