Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post

jamcat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:24 pm Studio One is really designed with recording your own tracks in mind. I think its overarching purpose is for studio recording, not arranging sample kits. There are other DAWs that were designed primarily for doing the latter. It's better for everyone if you use the tools that were designed to fit your needs, rather than to try to force change on ones that were designed for someone else's needs.
So this means Reaper, Cubase and Logic are more meant to put together sample sets instead of recording your own tracks??? :dog:

Post

syntonica wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:48 pm Or you can just trim that pesky silence off the beginning of your loops. ;)
Of course...

I think the time to implement a waveform preview is much less than going trough all of these samples and edit then rerender them... while that´s one person making the waveform preview while thousands of users would have to individually edit their samples...

Post

Trancit wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:29 am So this means Reaper, Cubase and Logic are more meant to put together sample sets instead of recording your own tracks??? :dog:
It's quite obvious and telling that you named three DAW's that largely follow the same paradigm as Studio One to ridicule jamcat's statements. :shrug:

EDIT for clarification: There is a huge difference whether a tool was designed for a specific primary purpose or whether the product managers have decided after 10+ years that such a feature should be slapped on somehow.

Post

J Veronica wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:56 am Upgrading my perpetual licence every two years feels like a bad deal now. I'm seeing more content walled off behind the subscription model, unless I want to pay for extras that other DAWs include by default.

Updates don't add things I want (not an atmos enthusiast) and the aggressive push to subscription leaves me feeling cold about the whole ecosystem. Prices are going up for a lesser experience IMO.
I concur that there's a push for subscriptions that's becoming more obvious. PreSonus has now gotten rid of upgrade pricing to Artist version where you now have to pay full price. Your choices are to get the subscription, pay full price or upgrade to pro version. I have numerous DAW's including the pro version of Cubase, Samplitude and other programs, too many to mention. I have no use for the pro version of Sudio-One since I don't exclusively use a single program.

I didn't see any announcements or received any emails stating their intent to cancel Artist upgrades. You can get the EDU version at the Artist upgrade price if you cheat or become a student I suppose. I would never feel comfortable investing the price to pro version just for them to decide at anytime to get rid of what you're paying for and replace it without notice or stop offering upgrade pricing for pro. No thanks, I'm out!

Post

pc2000 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:04 am
J Veronica wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:56 am Upgrading my perpetual licence every two years feels like a bad deal now. I'm seeing more content walled off behind the subscription model, unless I want to pay for extras that other DAWs include by default.

Updates don't add things I want (not an atmos enthusiast) and the aggressive push to subscription leaves me feeling cold about the whole ecosystem. Prices are going up for a lesser experience IMO.
I concur that there's a push for subscriptions that's becoming more obvious. PreSonus has now gotten rid of upgrade pricing to Artist version where you now have to pay full price. Your choices are to get the subscription, pay full price or upgrade to pro version. I have numerous DAW's including the pro version of Cubase, Samplitude and other programs, too many to mention. I have no use for the pro version of Sudio-One since I don't exclusively use a single program.

I didn't see any announcements or received any emails stating their intent to cancel Artist upgrades. You can get the EDU version at the Artist upgrade price if you cheat or become a student I suppose. I would never feel comfortable investing the price to pro version just for them to decide at anytime to get rid of what you're paying for and replace it without notice or stop offering upgrade pricing for pro. No thanks, I'm out!
I'm not able to check right now, but do they perhaps sell Artist upgrades for S1 on third party sites at all? I mention it because Presonus also stopped selling crossgrades directly, but they still sell it through third party sellers.

The push for subscriptions is one thing that gave me pause as well. I don't have a problem in theory with the two pricing models coexisting, but it really does feel like the subscription model is becoming their first priority, and it makes me a little uneasy committing to the software in the long term.

I'm definitely still keeping an eye on it, though. For me, there wasn't really a big reason I chose to not purchase Studio One, it was just a "death by a thousand papercuts" situation. Every DAW has a bunch of little things that annoy you, don't work how you want them to, or are missing, but in my case, S1 just had more of them. It didn't help that the website was full of broken links, and there were a bunch of times where I would google an issue I was having, and I'd find a feature request/forum thread about it from years ago with loads of people talking about it (again, I've encountered this with other DAWs, but not as often).

So yeah, looking forward to seeing what's new in Studio One 7! Or maybe 8 :D

Post

concealed identity wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:56 am I'm not able to check right now, but do they perhaps sell Artist upgrades for S1 on third party sites at all? I mention it because Presonus also stopped selling crossgrades directly, but they still sell it through third party sellers.
Nope! They pulled them in September or October last year!

Post

Ah, that's a bummer!

Post

Its what I heard from my friends who try to change DAW becouse of costs difrent DAWs - StudioOne often have new versions that are underdeveloped - and therefore have errors. But I'm not Studio One user

Post

pc2000 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:04 amPreSonus has now gotten rid of upgrade pricing to Artist version where you now have to pay full price.
You can upgrade Artist right here in the KVR Marketplace for $50.
Your choices are to get the subscription, pay full price or upgrade to pro version. I have numerous DAW's including the pro version of Cubase, Samplitude and other programs, too many to mention. I have no use for the pro version of Sudio-One since I don't exclusively use a single program.
So what? The full price of Artist is the same as the upgrade price for Pro. You're no worse off, either way. And if you don't feel you need Pro, then you probably don't need to update Artist, either. Again, nobody is worse off.
I didn't see any announcements or received any emails stating their intent to cancel Artist upgrades.
Why would they, are you a shareholder?
You can get the EDU version at the Artist upgrade price
Are you sure? At my local music store, Edu pricing is double the price of Artist.
I would never feel comfortable investing the price to pro version just for them to decide at anytime to get rid of what you're paying for and replace it without notice or stop offering upgrade pricing for pro. No thanks, I'm out!
I wouldn't like to wake up with a horse's head my bed and I reckon that's just about as likely as that bullshit you just sprouted.
concealed identity wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:56 amI don't have a problem in theory with the two pricing models coexisting, but it really does feel like the subscription model is becoming their first priority
Why do you say that? I don't get that impression at all. In fact, if you guys didn't mention it, I doubt I'd even remember they had it.
it makes me a little uneasy committing to the software in the long term.
Why? Is it not working now? Assuming it is, why would you care what happens in the future?
Every DAW has a bunch of little things that annoy you, don't work how you want them to, or are missing
No, they don't. I can't think of a single thing in either Studio One or Orion that would fit those categories. That's why I am perfectly happy using Artist as my only DAW - it has everything I need, has no annoying foibles and it all works exactly how I'd expect it to. If they never updated it again, I see no reason why I wouldn't still be using it when I'm 80 years old.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Post

oh my god :lol:

Post

Trancit wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:29 am
jamcat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:24 pm Studio One is really designed with recording your own tracks in mind. I think its overarching purpose is for studio recording, not arranging sample kits. There are other DAWs that were designed primarily for doing the latter. It's better for everyone if you use the tools that were designed to fit your needs, rather than to try to force change on ones that were designed for someone else's needs.
So this means Reaper, Cubase and Logic are more meant to put together sample sets instead of recording your own tracks??? :dog:
And Pro Tools, apparently, from this insane logic. :D
Crossinger wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:26 am EDIT for clarification: There is a huge difference whether a tool was designed for a specific primary purpose or whether the product managers have decided after 10+ years that such a feature should be slapped on somehow.
Couldn’t you make this argument about basically any feature in a DAW? Should Cubase have stayed a MIDI sequencer, rather than slapping on audio support?

Post

oneway wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:12 am Should Cubase have stayed a MIDI sequencer, rather than slapping on audio support?
Yes.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Post

Don't know why some people are so against a small wave view preview... And the misinformation about S1 being a DAW built mainly for recording is funny. Are we going to ignore the amount of tools S1 comes with to manipulate samples? Are we also going to ignore the fact that Presonus offers samples from goldbaby and sample magic on their marketplace? Such an odd crowd.

Post

oneway wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:12 am Should Cubase have stayed a MIDI sequencer, rather than slapping on audio support?
No.

That's pretty much the basic feature set every DAW should have, and doesn't really count as an argument for specialization of any kind. Unless we're talking about an application which is really, really specialized for a certain use case. DAWs can be pretty much used for any kind of music these days, and mainly just suit themselves better or less for special use cases.

Post

oneway wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:12 am Should Cubase have stayed a MIDI sequencer, rather than slapping on audio support?
In general: maybe I should speak of „paradigm“ rather than plain „feature“. E.g. Cubase, Logic, etc. will never keep up with the Ableton Live Session View.

Regarding implementation of audio tracks: well, you got me. BUT Steinberg did several rewrites of the codebase (iirc SX was a complete new codebase back in the days) so they had the chance to do things right from ground up. But this is not always possible.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”