2024: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2024)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post

FranklyFlawless wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:22 pm I ordered a Sunbeam SG1000 Power Steam Handheld Garment Steamer from eBay. It will be used to refine my LinnStrument Darker Mod even further by ensuring the bamboo playing surface has no folds, wrinkles, or other surface irregularities.


large_SG1000_1340x1340_1.jpeg
Garment steamer! I got to know those pretty well when I was a chauffeur.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Post

The SG1000 model I got was the top pick from Wirecutter until it was discontinued worldwide, but it still exists recoloured as maroon in Australia/New Zealand.

Post

Instruo DAPF bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dAbwPzbIZ8

I don't need more FM/PM stuff and don't particularly need more filter action either, but this has some other potential I'll be happy to explore, and I just happened to have 4HP left to fill. :party:

Post

foosnark wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:44 pm Instruo DAPF bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dAbwPzbIZ8

I don't need more FM/PM stuff and don't particularly need more filter action either, but this has some other potential I'll be happy to explore, and I just happened to have 4HP left to fill. :party:
Thanks for the post. I'll be getting one of those when they're in stock. I'm a big fan of the sound of an all-pass in motion, i.e., a phasor, but I don't want to control a phasor with a simple LFO, I want to be able to use an arbitrary modulation signal.

Post

foosnark wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:44 pm Instruo DAPF bought.

I don't need more FM/PM stuff and don't particularly need more filter action either, but this has some other potential I'll be happy to explore, and I just happened to have 4HP left to fill. :party:
That's a great video! I explored creating different filter topologies and formant sounds using the phasers and frequency shifter during my Serge presentation, but the Serge phasers are vactrol based, so I'm not sure they'll do some of those CV feedback tricks. I can't wait to try!

Post

I ordered a Craftplus Rotary Punch from Ivan Leathercraft. It will be used to refine my LinnStrument Darker Mod even further by creating cleanly shaped holes throughout the bamboo fabric playing surface.

1000x1000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post

Double Tap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:35 am I suppose I'm unlikely to find out if this Polybrute 12 thing is likely to emerge this year or not, and whether it's twice the price or three times the price...
Is that an iPhone holder / charger on it? How cool!
Last edited by audiouser720 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post

I’m gonna get this I don’t care. I love all my OTO Machines so much

https://youtu.be/06KdfV7wAlc?feature=shared

Post

audiouser720 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:38 am
Double Tap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:35 am I suppose I'm unlikely to find out if this Polybrute 12 thing is likely to emerge this year or not, and whether it's twice the price or three times the price...
Is that an iPhone holder / charger on it? How cool!
Haha no they call it a “morphee” - it’s a souped up mod wheel / touch sensitive XY pad and you can push it down too - so basically three parameters in one motion.

Post

audiouser720 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am I’m gonna get this I don’t care. I love all my OTO Machines so much

https://youtu.be/06KdfV7wAlc?feature=shared
These are nice. I still haven't come up with a good reason to get one! :cry:

After getting my different areas set up, it unfortunately doesn't make sense, and I'm still trying to change that! :hihi:

Likewise, loving the other OTO machines so I know this thing is worth it.

Post

Double Tap wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:28 pm
audiouser720 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:38 am
Double Tap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:35 am I suppose I'm unlikely to find out if this Polybrute 12 thing is likely to emerge this year or not, and whether it's twice the price or three times the price...
Is that an iPhone holder / charger on it? How cool!
Haha no they call it a “morphee” - it’s a souped up mod wheel / touch sensitive XY pad and you can push it down too - so basically three parameters in one motion.
Is this unique to Arturia? I don’t remember seeing it on anything else.

Post

elxsound wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:54 pm
audiouser720 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am I’m gonna get this I don’t care. I love all my OTO Machines so much

https://youtu.be/06KdfV7wAlc?feature=shared
These are nice. I still haven't come up with a good reason to get one! :cry:

After getting my different areas set up, it unfortunately doesn't make sense, and I'm still trying to change that! :hihi:

Likewise, loving the other OTO machines so I know this thing is worth it.
To be honest, the only reason to get any of these OTO machines is the sound. If that sound is important. Both the reverb and the delay are the closest modern options to vintage Lexicons I think, even if they are not exactly the same. These are some of the only modern (as in not vintage) effect processors that are not just plugins in the box that I can think off.

Bebe Cherie just has that extra sparkle, but a very pleasant extra 5-10%. It’s not your business as usual mixer, I don’t think.

The build quality also resembles quality effect processors from 80-90s.

I love the concept, love the aesthetics, call me a fanboy.

Post

audiouser720 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:03 pm
elxsound wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:54 pm
audiouser720 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am I’m gonna get this I don’t care. I love all my OTO Machines so much

https://youtu.be/06KdfV7wAlc?feature=shared
These are nice. I still haven't come up with a good reason to get one! :cry:

After getting my different areas set up, it unfortunately doesn't make sense, and I'm still trying to change that! :hihi:

Likewise, loving the other OTO machines so I know this thing is worth it.
To be honest, the only reason to get any of these OTO machines is the sound. If that sound is important. Both the reverb and the delay are the closest modern options to vintage Lexicons I think, even if they are not exactly the same. These are some of the only modern (as in not vintage) effect processors that are not just plugins in the box that I can think off.

Bebe Cherie just has that extra sparkle, but a very pleasant extra 5-10%. It’s not your business as usual mixer, I don’t think.

The build quality also resembles quality effect processors from 80-90s.

I love the concept, love the aesthetics, call me a fanboy.
Definitely... and same about all of it!

The Chase Bliss CXM 1978 and Meris X are supposed to be a little closer to the Lexicon 224 sound, but those are missing the saturation processing.

I've got the CXM, too, but I'm not interested in the Meris X, even if that might be the closest (from what I understand). The CXM and Bam have the hardware interaction going for them, otherwise I'd just use a computer for processing over the Meris X since I don't perform... And not bashing the X! its lovely too.

BIM is a crazy soundgooderizer. :love: Same goes for BAM. Seriously, all just lovely.

One day, I'll add the mixer for sure.

Post

audiouser720 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:56 pm
Double Tap wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:28 pm Haha no they call it a “morphee” - it’s a souped up mod wheel / touch sensitive XY pad and you can push it down too - so basically three parameters in one motion.
Is this unique to Arturia? I don’t remember seeing it on anything else.
Reminds me of an Expressive E Touché, but not quite the same thing (that one tilts and slides forward/backward/left/right/down)

Post

I just bought two used Arturia Minifuse 2 USB audio interfaces.

I use Linux (which will use one of the devices), but there are about 20 years of Windows apps in my archives from the years when I did use Linux--including some challenge response mistakes I made in the past that I might as well do something with. I also have a second laptop that runs Windows that's been sitting around. I'm going to use Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork plugin (which I also had sitting around in my archive from when I used Windows), and I'm going to turn the windows laptop machine into a Windows-based DSP Server to serve a few purposes:

1. To offload intensive apps to balance CPU usage
2. To make use of all of my Windows plugins
3. To use it as an outboard effects box for guitar usage
4. Us it as a Windows plugin multisample creator -- essentially sampling any Windows patches that I still want to use on my Linux laptop
5. Since I have Chickensys Translator sitting around, I'll use it to convert sampled instruments into SFZ and SF2 instruments for my Linux laptop.

Think of it as an external hardware unit that I will connect to through midi, while recording the output through the two audio channels.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”