Do Linux users tend to be somewhat paranoid?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:44 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:32 pmMost linux users adhere (some more than others) to certain ideologies.
Is that why Karl Marx grew a Linux beard?
The proletarian struggle was hijacked some time ago.

egbert101 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 pm Most paranoid thread on KVR. See you guys on the moon!
Planetary suggestion. Watch the movie "A Trip to Mars" (1918, silent), disable the audio, and start at the same time the "Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K&D Session (CD 1 , 1998)"

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2blVjZvq0Vc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShWTcxqUqvw
Last edited by mevla on Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_leras wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:35 pm
Monsieur_FyP wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:45 pm
BBFG# wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:28 pm The new batch of up and coming Linux users are not paranoid, they're rebellious as they give the other two the finger and push their way out of their corner they try to keep every in.
Doesn't this snooty, aggressive tone prove that linuxians are indeed paranoid? :P
Not necessarily. Are we "paranoid", or are we tired of uneducated, outdated responses from internet trolls? Doesn't everyone get tired of those people? :)
There are of course good reasons to have open source software.

A much better thread than this would be a Linux for Audio 2024 thread. (If there isn't one).

I'd love to see a good guide to Linux for Audio.

The practical reality though is I would need/want:
Rme drivers
Steinberg drivers for midex 8 and small audio interface
Dual display drivers to work properly
Bitwig which I know does work
Cubase and Ableton to work
VSTs for many synths and FX from probably almost 20 different companies

Then I also use my pc for a bunch of other stuff.

For me I know windows works. And the cost of windows with a new computer every 5-6 years is not very much compared to the amount of time I'd need to spend trying to get a Linux install working....
That's understandable. And in all honesty, some of that will be hard for Linux to achieve--especially the Rme drivers. That said, there IS currently a driver for the midex 8:

viewtopic.php?t=501740

Dual display drivers get better with every release (about every 6 months). I currently know that Ableton works through WINE and WINEASIO. Cubase, I'm not so sure. The VSTs and FX from almost 20 different companies will be hit-n-miss. The majority of Windows plugins work, but whether the specific ones you are wanting, or alternative similar apps are needed will require one to test each of the plugins you are wanting to use. So, over all, most of your stuff will work, but that's not the point. The point is that you use what you want to use, just like we use what we want to use. Linux may not be everyone's cup of tea. The only thing we really want is to enjoy what we enjoy and prevent misinformation that may dissuade others who may have an interest. Things really ARE getting better and better. :)

EDIT: It looks like there are some RME models that are supported by linux:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/download ... rchive.php
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

_leras wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:04 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 pm There's definitely a way to verify hardware drivers. Let's see some non-class compliant hardware from the Windows 98 days work with Windows 11--if the drivers will even install.... :wink:
This situation is about things that did work in windows 20+ years ago, that maybe didn't work on Linux at all... And may have had updated drivers since.

I think this is much better overall than how things have gone with Apple, and back then lots of stuff maybe wouldn't work with Linux at all.

NB: Standard class compliant hardware and drivers are definitely a very welcome thing and hopefully will reduce device obsolescence, which is a hugely wasteful problem, and also leads to problems like critical medical equipment needing a janky old PC to even operate....
As a person who works in IT at a hospital, I can completely relate and fully agree with you! :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

mevla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:26 pm
egbert101 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 pm Most paranoid thread on KVR. See you guys on the moon!
Suggestion. Watch the movie "A Trip to Mars" (1918, silent), disable the audio, and start at the same time the "Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K&D Session (CD 1 , 1998)"

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2blVjZvq0Vc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShWTcxqUqvw
Great album! I liked it so much that when I wore out both CDs I bought it a second time! :lol:

Something has to be pointed out : is one from a Windows background needing to run a specific set of Windows audio software applications (and if not, fail) or is one free of this requirement ?

I was free of it, did not posses any Windows audio applications that I relied on, to be working in Linux. This is an important factor to take into consideration.

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:38 pm Great album! I liked it so much that when I wore out both CDs I bought it a second time! :lol:
Yeah, it's 'magical' and as such it transcends any tech considerations. I mean, the whole thing, tech wise, sounds very simple, could have been done on any platform, using any software. What's important is the atmosphere, the feeling. and it's there 200%.

Something often neglected in a market-driven ecosystem.

enCiphered wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:00 pm It's just an observation on my part.
There are linux users who use only open-source tools. Others use only native linux tools that may be also include closed source tools. Some also use windows tools in various ways, by way of wine, wineasio, and plugin wrappers like lin-vst and yabridge. I've yet to meet anyone using fully open-source hardware to run their open-source OS of choice.

There are a few whose passion is cult-like, sometimes antagonistic, and sometimes projecting a superiority complex that would embarras a Beverly Hills based died-in-the-wool Mac user.

One can advocate the merits for this and that and the other thing without being a jerk.
Without insisting on right and wrong. As a musician, I find so many delightful tools to use, that there is little time to waste on such chats. I often give examples of what windows tools I use in linux, but I rarely buy anything without a demo, or strongly suspecting it will work, and if not, it will still be something that could be of value to a friend using a different OS.

With inflation effecting purchase power, it's expected that people will want to do extra research on the status and value of potential purchases. Linux users have more of that to do, when considering tools coded for windows.
Cheers.

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:32 pm I currently know that Ableton works through WINE and WINEASIO.
Hi, can can you post version details and around six screenshots made during various parts of an Ableton recording session in linux? I have several 'Lite' versions among the spindles.
Cheers

mevla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:11 amThe core of it is that at a time when there were no passwords for Windows systems, there were passwords for all Linux systems.
So you are saying that before everybody started wearing tinfoil hats, Linux users were already wearing tinfoil hats? Colour me surprised.
People using Windows would from time to time frown or ridicule at that extra 'useless' step Linux users had to do.
Some of us still do. Of course, back then there was nothing to protect but these days there is access to so much sensitive information that passwords make at least some sense these days. Back when Linux first had them? Not so much.
NOVAkILL : Legion GO, AMD Z1x, 16GB RAM, Win11 | Zoom U24 | MPK Mini+ | Studio One
ARP2600, ARP Odyssey, OB-EZ, SEM, OB-1, Prestige, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Saurus,
Invader 2, Olga, TRK-01, BA-1, Thorn, Spire, VG Iron 2

glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:24 pm Hi, can can you post version details and around six screenshots made during various parts of an Ableton recording session in linux? I have several 'Lite' versions among the spindles.
What would be, performance-wise, the idea with running a Windows DAW in Linux, when there's Linux-native Bitwig and Mixbus32C available ?

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:28 pm
mevla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:11 amThe core of it is that at a time when there were no passwords for Windows systems, there were passwords for all Linux systems.
So you are saying that before everybody started wearing tinfoil hats, Linux users were already wearing tinfoil hats? Colour me surprised.
In the context of the observation it's actual fact.
BONES wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:28 pm Some of us still do. Of course, back then there was nothing to protect but these days there is access to so much sensitive information that passwords make at least some sense these days. Back when Linux first had them? Not so much.
Thus the 'forearmed is forewarned' approach.

mevla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:30 pm
glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:24 pm Hi, can can you post version details and around six screenshots made during various parts of an Ableton recording session in linux? I have several 'Lite' versions among the spindles.
What would be, performance-wise, the idea with running a Windows DAW in Linux, when there's Linux-native Bitwig and Mixbus32C available ?
That assumes they are the more efficient or feature-rich versions in a diverse market.
I'm mainly using Reaper. If you don't experiment, you don't learn. From my perspective, performance is not the highest priority. The windows Reaper and some plugins look better than linux counterparts, some perform better, or support more features, so things are used on a case-by-case basis. I would never recommend anyone to know and use only one daw. Not to mention, some of them have unique capabilities and quality extras. I have a few Mixbus licenses, and also Bitwig 8-track is nice for a guitar multi-fx chain, should the Muse whisper. :love:
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:24 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:32 pm I currently know that Ableton works through WINE and WINEASIO.
Hi, can can you post version details and around six screenshots made during various parts of an Ableton recording session in linux? I have several 'Lite' versions among the spindles.
Cheers
I've never tried it myself, but here's some information that I've found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... _on_linux/

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=41212

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=2113

mevla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:18 pm Maybe there should be a Linux section on KVR...
The linux daw, and commercial software-in-linux topics in the computer setup forum require no ID at the door, and topics are essentially wide open when it comes to linux.
Even rival soccer fans are free to post :hyper:

viewtopic.php?t=160807

viewtopic.php?t=503359

Return to “Instruments”