Do Linux users tend to be somewhat paranoid?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:58 pm
glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:24 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:32 pm I currently know that Ableton works through WINE and WINEASIO.
Hi, can can you post version details and around six screenshots made during various parts of an Ableton recording session in linux? I have several 'Lite' versions among the spindles.
Cheers
I've never tried it myself, but here's some information that I've found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... _on_linux/

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=41212

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=2113
Gotta see the pics...your pics, your setup...
Last edited by glokraw on Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:54 pm That assumes they are the more efficient or feature-rich versions in a diverse market.
I'm mainly using Reaper. If you don't experiment, you don't learn. From my perspective, performance is not the highest priority. The windows Reaper and some plugins look better than linux counterparts, some perform better, or support more features, so things are used on a case-by-case basis. I would never recommend anyone to know and use only one daw. Not to mention, some of them have unique capabilities and quality extras. I have a few Mixbus licenses, and also Bitwig 8-track is nice for a guitar multi-fx chain, should the Muse whisper. :love:
All creations I've made so far were created in Bitwig and mixed/mastered in Mixbus32C. It's basically two different approaches. I was made aware of this when I mentioned on a Wednesday evening some time ago at a "Mixing with Mike" session : there are two kinds of DAWs and thus two different users. One is preferring a hardware metaphor, the mixer console, as a basis for a DAW while others are preferring DAWs that explores other paradigms. A mixer user will basically see no use in a DAW offering a modular synth. It wouldn't be a looked-after feature. This is what's neat in using Bitwig for creation and Mixbus32C for mixing : I could change hats and become a mixer that was given a set of tracks to mix well.

I consider it contributed to create proper conditions for the Muse to manifest :)

Cheers.

glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:05 pm The linux daw, and commercial software-in-linux topics in the computer setup forum require no ID at the door, and topics are essentially wide open when it comes to linux.
Even rival soccer fans are free to post :hyper:

viewtopic.php?t=160807

viewtopic.php?t=503359
Yeah, I know, but that's not putting Linux at the forefront of the section.

Tiles wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:57 pm Well, start Kontakt.
I did. Years ago.

K6-Absynth5-Reaper.png

A couple of my songs made with Kontakt libs:

https://youtu.be/uamwc0Y3PeI

https://youtu.be/OAV3-NeYXMk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wilkins_micawber wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:17 pm I don't want to attempt all the various windows installers via wine.
Hi, wine-staging is a toad that sit's on a rock in the sun. It just provides windows, menus, and some internet connectivity, and little else. Installers run just like in windows, the ones without fancy managers or ilok almost always work. Last night, I installed the windows Zebra2 Legacy, and an Arturia freebie (the Arturia manager app also applied four updates I'd forgotten :roll: :hihi: ) You can pick a couple plugins you always use, and keep the herd out to pasture while testing :wink:

You could test i3 in a live session of AVLinux, it has version 4.19 1-1 in the synaptic repository. Found at www.bandshed.net
Cheers

mevla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:13 pm
glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:05 pm The linux daw, and commercial software-in-linux topics in the computer setup forum require no ID at the door, and topics are essentially wide open when it comes to linux.

viewtopic.php?t=160807

viewtopic.php?t=503359
What section? It's at the top of the section it's in, and other topics appear from time to time in various places, at moderator disgression. Whether a topic is at any forefront depends on the clickbait offered, and the proximity to friday night :wink:
The commercial topic gets about 70 clicks on a good weekend.
Drat, I'm down to two bags of Orville Redenbachers on a weekend :scared:
Cheers

mevla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:07 pm there are two kinds of DAWs and thus two different users.
Cheers.
I think the powerful expensive daws are diverse enough to each be semantically considered different 'kinds'. I consider my son-in-law a Cubase master, and he is on a Mac since the M1 or whatever it's called became needed for work. Very different than Reaper,
which is foreign to Bitwig, which is unlike Pro Tools, that is not as fugly as Ableton, which doesn't sound like a Harrison console...but music emerges from all, the fundamental result that makes life better. Sometimes.
Cheers

enCiphered wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:00 pm Apologies for the clickbait title, but I've concluded that most people here expressing concerns or engaging in debates about licensing, copy protection systems for plugins, or speculating on the fate of a company going out of service, etc., as well as those worrying about the compatibility of a 50-years old sample library with a contemporary Kontakt version, tend to be predominantly Linux users. Could this be accurate, or am I mistaken? It's just an observation on my part.
I don't see why Linux users would be discussing that, these are problems for Windows and Mac software users.

Monsieur_FyP wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:45 pm
BBFG# wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:28 pm The new batch of up and coming Linux users are not paranoid, they're rebellious as they give the other two the finger and push their way out of their corner they try to keep every in.
Doesn't this snooty, aggressive tone prove that linuxians are indeed paranoid? :P
No, but it reveals yours.
:lol:

glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:47 pm

viewtopic.php?t=160807

viewtopic.php?t=503359
What section? It's at the top of the section it's in, and other topics appear from time to time in various places, at moderator disgression.
The section of the forum is clearly

KVR Forum index Computer - Setup and System Configuration

Ain't seeing any 'Linux' in there.

It's only a thread within. In 2024 that's pretty much a status of refugee :)

mevla wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:37 am

viewtopic.php?t=160807

viewtopic.php?t=503359
What section? It's at the top of the section it's in, and other topics appear from time to time in various places, at moderator disgression.

To be fair, do you see a separated Windows group or a separated Apple group? I don't think we need anything more than what we have now. To demand special treatment WOULD make us stand out. :wink:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I like Linux , but I found that I like Windows better for DAW duties . Those who get windows vsts working I envy you it was too much work and too much time tinkering for me . I always x my fingers that it gets better for musicians . Seems Valve Steam have done amazing things for Linux gaming . I wish someone would do the same for Musicians and Linux .

mevla wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:37 am

viewtopic.php?t=160807

viewtopic.php?t=503359

Its one of the biggest and oldest topics here. There isn't a Mac section, Intel section, AMD section, ARM section or Microsoft section. None of them need sections. But should they be added, I'd look into them, just to keep relatively current. Although my depth is roughly, i5, i7, i9, and number of cores...much deeper, and I start losing musicality. :hihi: Sound On Sound (see pic) have computer forums, The Gear Page don't, so a mixed bag out there. I did ask for a new more general title, as the OP is absent, but got no response.

macForum.jpg

I do think your examples would be good for linux users to follow, whether new or experienced. If I were 20 years younger, and 120 credits more learned, I'd get the full version of Bitwig :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mevla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:30 pm
glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:24 pm Hi, can can you post version details and around six screenshots made during various parts of an Ableton recording session in linux? I have several 'Lite' versions among the spindles.
What would be, performance-wise, the idea with running a Windows DAW in Linux, when there's Linux-native Bitwig and Mixbus32C available ?
Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest it's because he's a Live user and doesn't want to spend Dog knows how many hours/days/weeks/months porting all his songs across to a new DAW. I've done it twice and it is not something you decide to do on a whim. I switched to Studio One 3 or 4 years ago and I still don't have half as much of our stuff running in it as I do in Orion. It's just too hard to bring it all across.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | Zoom U24 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

https://linuxmusicians.com is great if you just want linux focused discussion without the constant demands to justify your choices.

Return to “Instruments”