2%
Skin 12
36%
Skin 13
17%

Total votes: 321

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vortifex wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:15 pm I get why people like the cleanness of skin 12 but I think it looks quite uninspiring and a bit outdated like a Rob Papen synth.
Same here. It feels dated, and like I already said before, it reminds me of some old SynthEdit designs.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

11 is beautiful 😍

I like 12 the best, with 10 a second choice.

# 10 has the clearest overall colour balance and is the most neutral "default" looking skin out of this selection.

But I also like elements of # 3 and # 13 also.

himalaya wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:34 pm
Vortifex wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:15 pm I get why people like the cleanness of skin 12 but I think it looks quite uninspiring and a bit outdated like a Rob Papen synth.
Same here. It feels dated, and like I already said before, it reminds me of some old SynthEdit designs.
himalaya wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:29 pm Some people work with plugins 24/7. I do.
I do too and that's why 12 is the only one I want to work with 24/7. :shrug:

With the skins of Icarus version 2.5 the background is straight on but the knobs have a backwards tilt like you're looking at them from below and that does bother my OCD. They're perfectly usable but not entirely comfortable to my eye.

I grew up using hardware so I'm comfortable with hardware looking GUIs. I loath flat GUIs and to me the Valhalla skins are some of the worst on the market. When I see the one you posted my mind says "toy" and not "tool". Lucky for him the plugins sound great.

So to me 12 doesn't look dated it looks more professional. More like a tool.

At any rate I'd wager a guess that Tone 2 might be a bit surprised that 12 is leading by so much (double at the time of this post). I get the feeling they would rather have 6 or one of the other similar options as default and I'm fine with that as long as 12 is still an option unaltered from the screenshot (although adding the +- for bipolar knobs makes sense)

I'm still hoping that user skin edits will be possible as that will eventually yield more options and hence make it easier for people to find or make a skin that they love. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Imo the design approach of 6,10 & 13 is basicly the same with some minor differences (color sheme and backgroud texture). And combined they earn 52 % of the vote. Therefore, the majority clearly tends towards that design. That beeing said, does it really matter which is design is default? Often I choose the not default skin (Hive, Ana, Viper, ABL, Spire, Microtonic, you name it) and never think about the others again. I just hope it will remain "3rd party" skinnable like v2 is.

+1 for editable skins in the same way as Icarus 2.... i'd like to add my own in a near future..

12 without a doubt.
And you’re still reading?!...

Teksonik wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:06 pm
himalaya wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:34 pm
himalaya wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:29 pm Some people work with plugins 24/7. I do.
I do too and that's why 12 is the only one I want to work with 24/7. :shrug:
I appreciate that.
Although, you quoted me in reference to a slightly different sentiment, that of working with some bizarre GUI designs like those 3D knobs or whole front panels set to some mind-bending 3D multi-angle (who remembers Poly-Ana? Although Arturia hasn’t learnt as shown in some of their plugins…looking at you CS80V…). The new skin (12) for Icarus is entirely usable in this context. No issues with it except a simple personal preference amongst other designs that Tone2 is offering.

Teksonik wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:06 pm
With the skins of Icarus version 2.5 the background is straight on but the knobs have a backwards tilt like you're looking at them from below and that does bother my OCD. They're perfectly usable but not entirely comfortable to my eye.
Exactly. It triggers my OCD too, although, that original skin is still not as bad as some other designs from several other companies, which simply prevent me from buying some plugins.

Right now, I hope that we will see more revised skins for the other Tone2 synths. Some of these new ones are so good.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

PhaseTransition wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:12 pm Imo the design approach of 6,10 & 13 is basicly the same with some minor differences (color sheme and backgroud texture). And combined they earn 52 % of the vote. Therefore, the majority clearly tends towards that design
as their #2 and #3 choices in the poll. Yes they're almost identical. But this is just the default for marketing, not use.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

My question for skin 6 and all those like it is - How can you tell if the mod amount is unipolar or bipolar? In the old skin and 12, you can see the mod amount and whether it goes in one direction or both directions around the current knob position. But with the yellow bars, they always look like the are uni-directional. Given that the knob position is indicated by the blue ring around it, I'm not sure how you'd see bi-directional modulation. Does the yellow ring go both direction from the knob position I wonder? There are no examples of that.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:07 pm My question for skin 6 and all those like it is - How can you tell if the mod amount is unipolar or bipolar? In the old skin and 12, you can see the mod amount and whether it goes in one direction or both directions around the current knob position. But with the yellow bars, they always look like the are uni-directional. Given that the knob position is indicated by the blue ring around it, I'm not sure how you'd see bi-directional modulation. Does the yellow ring go both direction from the knob position I wonder? There are no examples of that.
Skin 6 has several examples of bipolar mod i believe, namely filter 1- cutoff and filter2 - drive

tasty tatsyn wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:49 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:07 pm My question for skin 6 and all those like it is - How can you tell if the mod amount is unipolar or bipolar? In the old skin and 12, you can see the mod amount and whether it goes in one direction or both directions around the current knob position. But with the yellow bars, they always look like the are uni-directional. Given that the knob position is indicated by the blue ring around it, I'm not sure how you'd see bi-directional modulation. Does the yellow ring go both direction from the knob position I wonder? There are no examples of that.
Skin 6 ex: has several examples of bipolar mod i believe, namely filter1-cutoff and filter2-drive

tasty tatsyn wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:49 pm
Skin 6 has several examples of bipolar mod i believe, namely filter 1- cutoff and filter2 - drive
How can you tell? Looks the same as any other positive modulation.

Easily 6 or 13. I think this is REALLY the wrong place for this type of vote, though. People here are pretty design-averse and I'm guessing don't skew very neurotypical, so I don't think opinions here will map very well to general music production consumers.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”