Is REAPER the current best long term choice?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Perhaps an explanation of the preferences may be included.
But on the other hand the default preferences are not explained.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:42 am Perhaps an explanation of the preferences may be included.
But on the other hand the default preferences are not explained.
The manual is long and deep, but the power of Reaper is unleashed by the user.
It's all in your hands and, accordingly to your needs and willingness, it becomes an extension of your music world.

I'm finally using it daily and the freedom of customization is liberating (and overwhelming) to say the least.
FL Studio? :o

liquidsound wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:44 am ....the freedom of customization is liberating (and overwhelming) to say the least.
The customization has been a bit of a rabbit hole for me.
I'd never coded before, had never written a script.
I've been learning and fudging code for a few months now and just made this.
Sure, it's no masterpiece, but I find it pretty handy.
To be fair, it's more about the learning experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5W9qTvhX24

redmaggott wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:08 pm
liquidsound wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:44 am ....the freedom of customization is liberating (and overwhelming) to say the least.
The customization has been a bit of a rabbit hole for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5W9qTvhX24
Nice!
Then you my love this one (kind of M4L stuff for Reaper) and maybe even more powerful as you'll see throughout the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqPkNV8qWrk

Does Reaper still have that context-dependent mouse cursor MIDI editing? Really hated that, it was the only thing keeping me from using it.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:42 am Does Reaper still have that context-dependent mouse cursor MIDI editing? Really hated that, it was the only thing keeping me from using it.
I'm not sure what exactly you mean but the context is still available, but anything can be used by custom toolbar icons or Preferences or shortcuts.

liquidsound wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:53 pm The customization has been a bit of a rabbit hole for me.
Nice video.
Did you write the Generate Rift script?

Currently a Studio One user but looking to possibly switch to Reaper as my main DAW.

BTW re: Mulab - Reaper
Are you using Mulab as a plugin in Reaper?

liquidsound wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:34 am
JerGoertz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:42 am Does Reaper still have that context-dependent mouse cursor MIDI editing? Really hated that, it was the only thing keeping me from using it.
I'm not sure what exactly you mean but the context is still available, but anything can be used by custom toolbar icons or Preferences or shortcuts.
Last time I tried Reaper was probably around 6 years ago. What I'm referring to is how, when you're editing a MIDI clip, the action of the cursor will change depending on what part of a note event it's hovering over. So, it could change from (e.g., from memory and maybe not accurate in the details) note selection to the scissors tool to the glue tool simply based on where the mouse it pointing at that particular moment, whereas in Cubase these functions are only changed by manually selecting which cursor mode you're in (via the toolbar or keyboard shortcut).

Nice!
Then you my love this one (kind of M4L stuff for Reaper) and maybe even more powerful as you'll see throughout the video.
Thanks for that.
I'm over complicating things.
But I am a complete novice.
These are two scripts I've been working on.
Both Lokasenna, both button crazy.

https://youtu.be/vOspUaoaqr8

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:03 am
liquidsound wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:53 pm The customization has been a bit of a rabbit hole for me.
Nice video.

Currently a Studio One user but looking to possibly switch to Reaper as my main DAW.

@redmaggott wrote that script.

I use MuLab in Reaper with no problems as a Plugin. I need to figure how to sync the MuLab Matrix to start rather than the Timeline.
I could do it with a Note assigned to the Matrix but I have some issues with that method.

I can have MuLab App just print MIDI in any tracks in Reaper if needed.
I'm just beginning to explore the Reper-MuLab possibilities, and it can be a powerful combo.

JerGoertz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:33 am
liquidsound wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:34 am
Last time I tried Reaper was probably around 6 years ago. What I'm referring to is how, when you're editing a MIDI clip, the action of the cursor will change depending on what part of a note event it's hovering over. So, it could change from (e.g., from memory and maybe not accurate in the details) note selection to the scissors tool to the glue tool simply based on where the mouse it pointing at that particular moment, whereas in Cubase these functions are only changed by manually selecting which cursor mode you're in (via the toolbar or keyboard shortcut).
Being new to Reaper I didn't detect any of those Mouse Transformations tools. Perhaps there are ways, via scripts or preferences, to activate them.

Shortcuts + Actions in Reaper can probably achieve anything you need. Most Actions are there waiting to be used...

I'm kind of excited to the prospect of so much flexibility available in Reaper that I will make it a mission to learn it and make it my final music production environment.

Nothing is perfect but neither am I :hihi:

redmaggott wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:04 am
Nice!
Thanks for that.
I'm over complicating things.
But I am a complete novice.
These are two scripts I've been working on.
Both Lokasenna, both button crazy.

https://youtu.be/vOspUaoaqr8
That one you need to come up with an explanation :hihi:

liquidsound wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:36 amBeing new to Reaper I didn't detect any of those Mouse Transformations tools. Perhaps there are ways, via scripts or preferences, to activate them.

Shortcuts + Actions in Reaper can probably achieve anything you need. Most Actions are there waiting to be used...

I'm kind of excited to the prospect of so much flexibility available in Reaper that I will make it a mission to learn it and make it my final music production environment.

Well, maybe Reaper's changed in those 6 years, then. I'd demo again, but I've already committed to Bitwig and Renoise. I may not be perfect either, but I try to be faithful. :hihi:

JerGoertz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:20 am
liquidsound wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:36 amBeing new to Reaper I didn't detect any of those Mouse Transformations tools. Perhaps there are ways, via scripts or preferences, to activate them.

Well, maybe Reaper's changed in those 6 years, then. I'd demo again, but I've already committed to Bitwig and Renoise. I may not be perfect either, but I try to be faithful. :hihi:
I know... I've used BWS for about 5 years and Ableton for much longer...
I just got tired of waiting for developer's roadmap and strict visions.

I got a great Reaper Theme for now (Reapertips) and while I'm making music, I'm rediscovering my new workflow (frozen by other DAWs) and thanks to the open-end Reaper structure I will slowly adapt it to my "new" way of producing music.

Some people rush and try to adjust Reaper to the way they are used to the other DAWs.
I'm trying to refine and explore different ways to produce, "and then", I will begin to dig deeply into the Reaper Jungle establishing a definitive, more personalized structure to produce music with this new tool.

I'm faithful too... but to myself! :hihi:

liquidsound wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:24 am
Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:03 am
Nice video.

@redmaggott wrote that script.

I use MuLab in Reaper with no problems as a Plugin. I need to figure how to sync the MuLab Matrix to start rather than the Timeline.
I could do it with a Note assigned to the Matrix but I have some issues with that method.

I can have MuLab App just print MIDI in any tracks in Reaper if needed.
I'm just beginning to explore the Reper-MuLab possibilities, and it can be a powerful combo.
Reaper does not have a modular environment such as FL Studio with Patcher and Mulab with Mux.

I love all modular environments whether a DAW, instrument or fx. I love the flexibility for routing and to be able to see it. But most of all I love it when the modular plugin can host other plugins. Yes I admit it, I’m in love with modular!!!

I am looking to add a modular environment to Reaper. I am now looking in the current order of preference at:

1. Bidule https://web.archive.org/web/20170926075 ... ts/bidule/
2. Unify also has a modular environment called ComboBox which allows one to route audio and midi as desired. https://www.kvraudio.com/news/plugingur ... fect-50140
3. Mulab plugin with Mux. Also considering Mulab App (over reaper) with Mulab Plugin.
4. Loomer Architect https://www.loomer.co.uk/architect.htm
5. FL Studio as a plugin with Patcher. Also considering FLS Studio (over Reaper) with Patcher.
6. Freestyle https://www.newsonicarts.com/html/freestyle.php
7. Metaplugin https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/
8. Element - https://kushview.net/, (Name a fair price)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”