LAUNCH! VAST Dynamics - Vaporizer2 - Hybrid Wavetable Additive / Subtractive Synthesizer / Sampler / Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Energy The Transformation Vaporizer2

I gave this synth a go today and it was quite enjoyable, however it is a little odd also. Seems it does not react well to using modifier keys for more accuracy of parameter change. Also how do you get back to a saw wave once you have messed all the partials up ?

I cannot seem to find "Basic Saw" anywhere in the WT folders.

Worth an evening playing around with.

The wavetable editor can imprint a basic saw at anytime.

Does wavetable editor support undo?

mike_o wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:18 pm The wavetable editor can imprint a basic saw at anytime.
Ok thanks, how ? If I just want to get back to a pure saw fast.

I am guessing there is an easier way than drawing in a bunch of partials and phases :lol:

And where is square and triangle while we are at it there must be a quick way
yet no WT is listed as such. These should be instant to load on any synth.

The partial/harmonic editor in this synth is superior than Serum as far as I understand. In Serum the sound cuts out when you adjust a partial/harmonic which is very annoying.

Vaporizer the audio continues playing smoothly as one might expect. which is frankly frustrating as a sound design tool, glad I did not pay $170 for Serum, oh yeah I did.

It is a little bit clunky workflow wise but is a very interesting synth. The effects parameters are very strange to set up in Vaporizer.. they do not appear to do what you would typically expect. (especially reverb and delay are unintuitive.)

Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-10 um 09.20.46.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Great thanks, I guess just click the relevant icon. Will try when I am back on it. I will consider donating for sure once I have got my head around it. You did a great job with this synth many thanks.

audiojunkie wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:19 pm
Weasel-Boy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:13 pm ComicBookGuy.png
...then let me introduce you to something worse! :D

https://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrastwo ... zistow.htm
That would likely do well with an AI app.

I can't figure out what MORPH is doing.
The manual says that it removes crossfades between waveforms in the wavetable (I don’t know English well, I might have understood something wrong).
But it doesn’t work for me - the crossfades remain.

Alright, total n00b question if that's okay:

Why the heck does all the modulation start at 50% of the way through the modulation range? As in every time I hit a note, the parameter jumps from 0% to 50% instantaneously and then follows the modulation path from 50% to 100%. I've tried every possible setting I can find to get it to start at 0 and I can't seem to figure it out.

Even if there is an easy fix to this, why wouldn't the default just be to go from 0 -> 100 like every other synth?

Alexander137 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:46 am I can't figure out what MORPH is doing.
The manual says that it removes crossfades between waveforms in the wavetable (I don’t know English well, I might have understood something wrong).
But it doesn’t work for me - the crossfades remain.
Hm, yes. Morph is probably not the most useful slider in Vaporizer2 anymore. It changes the crossfade curve between two adjacent wavetable positions. From very smooth to instant. It is only left in for compatibility reasons with older sample to wavetables presets. Maybe it will be removed at some point and replaced by something more useful.

Deadzone_Music wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:56 am Alright, total n00b question if that's okay:

Why the heck does all the modulation start at 50% of the way through the modulation range? As in every time I hit a note, the parameter jumps from 0% to 50% instantaneously and then follows the modulation path from 50% to 100%. I've tried every possible setting I can find to get it to start at 0 and I can't seem to figure it out.

Even if there is an easy fix to this, why wouldn't the default just be to go from 0 -> 100 like every other synth?
in Vaporizer2 there is the concept of unipolarity / bipolarity of modulation sources and modulations. I know that might be confusing but it offers some possibilities that are useful. What does that mean:
- If you drag the mod. source LFO1 to OSCA Cents it will modulate the full range from -2400 to 2400 cents. That is usefule if you want to have a modulation that centeres around a mid value
- If you change the LFO1 from bipolar to unipolar it will modulate the Cents from 0 to 2400 cents. The LFO is no longer creating a -1 to 1 signal. Instead it creates 0..1.
- Switch the LFO1 back to biploar and change the polarity in the mod. matrix to unipolar. This has the same effect. From 0 to 2400 cents.
So if you want a full range modulation you have to make sure that both mod. source and matrix slot are bipolar. I assume that your examples were with MSEGs which default to unipolar since they are supposed to modulate gain or cutoff which shall not center around a value but shall modulate between 0 off and 1 full.

When modulating sliders like the filter cutoff you also need to take into account that the slider display is logarithmical/exponential. So the mid point in terms of frequency is at 14khz on a 0..28khz range.

It is maybe not intuitive. That is granted.

[/quote]
So if you want a full range modulation you have to make sure that both mod. source and matrix slot are bipolar. I assume that your examples were with MSEGs which default to unipolar since they are supposed to modulate gain or cutoff which shall not center around a value but shall modulate between 0 off and 1 full.
[/quote]

Except that literally doesn't work. The bipolar/unipolar setting doesn't change the movement of the MSEG modulation at all.

I just recorded this video going through all the possible settings and there is no way to get the MSEG modulation to start at 0 and go to 100: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q5BFqZ3YXA

Deadzone_Music wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:07 pm
[/quote]

Except that literally doesn't work. The bipolar/unipolar setting doesn't change the movement of the MSEG modulation at all.

I just recorded this video going through all the possible settings and there is no way to get the MSEG modulation to start at 0 and go to 100: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q5BFqZ3YXA
[/quote]

Your MSEG is unipolar. Set it to bipolar. You might want to use MSEG2 though since MSEG1 is your VCA envelope as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vastdynamics wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:22 pm Your MSEG is unipolar. Set it to bipolar. You might want to use MSEG2 though since MSEG1 is your VCA envelope as well.
Ohhh okay, I didn't realize the unipolar/bipolar settings in the envelope page and the matrix were two different things.

It's still a bit needlessly confusing in my opinion, but I understand how it works now.

Thank you for your help!

Deadzone_Music wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:04 pm
vastdynamics wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:22 pm Your MSEG is unipolar. Set it to bipolar. You might want to use MSEG2 though since MSEG1 is your VCA envelope as well.
Ohhh okay, I didn't realize the unipolar/bipolar settings in the envelope page and the matrix were two different things.

It's still a bit needlessly confusing in my opinion, but I understand how it works now.

Thank you for your help!
I agree that it is confusing. Yet the current state is a trade off between functionality and compatibility of presets over more than 5 years. Take into account that changing this logic would change the sound of almost all presets. So a tricky compatibility mode would be required.

Return to “Instruments”