Monorail

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lovely atmospheric track. I would love to hear a key/mood change somewhere in the middle. Just my two cents.

Paulieworld wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm Lovely atmospheric track. I would love to hear a key/mood change somewhere in the middle. Just my two cents.
Well, these are the limitations of Frippertronics: changing chord is a PITA. The longer the delay time, the longer you must wait for any notes out of the new key you want to switch to, to fade out of the loop so you can play in new notes from the new key. So, 4 bars at 120bpm takes 8 seconds, with a slow-decaying regeneration, you can be looking at well over one minute to change chord, even using very simple progressions such as A, D and G. Try it, if you have the Valhalla delay…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfE_CXSENE

Thank you, Bill Vencil. My piece has two Fripps layered over each other, so, I couldn’t be bending over backwards to shape a chord change in what is, essentially, improvised pieces. You hear the notes, and you do your best to keep the flow going. The reason it was Fripp that pioneered this is because he can think inside these loops while keeping his fingers in the right places. It’s fun with a keyboard, too.

Fripp cheats a bit in the following example, he’s already recorded the repeating texture loop and starts playing over it in a classic solo. Doesn’t change chord, either. Just look at those fingers. Two tape recorders and a guitar and it sounds like the cosmos melting. Now, that’s something that you can’t download the latest version of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAECAnlnriU

Lovely sounds, I loved the almost Vangelis-like CS80 quality of one of the synths, and the crystalline e-piano was also excellent.

There was a vst delay called ElottronixXL that I used back in 2009 for making a Frippertronics track. It was fun.

Although chord changes are often present in ambient music, I do not believe that they are a requirement.

I see your artist name on SoundCloud also has a Fripp connection :wink:

Good work :)

Great track! I also was hoping for some kind of change (chord or tempo) about halfway through but it is what it is and it is quite good. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”