E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zenker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:36 pm how do i uninstall everything related to Emu so that there is nothing left and I can do a clean install?
Have you tried the free Revo Uninstaller? It gets files the standard uninstall routines leave behind. After running it, the free CCleaner can show you any leftover Registry entries or file folders. CCleaner can also remove them. The free Glary Utilities will also do these things. If you install CCleaner or Glary, just make sure you use them both to disable any startup entries they add—along with any others you don't need running. The entries are safe (they're just checking for updates), but you don't need them running on a DAW.

Once you've thoroughly uninstalled the E-MU software, you can right-click on the audio device in Device Manager and delete it. Be sure to put a check into the box that asks if you want to remove all related driver files. Running CCleaner or Glary Utilities after that will show you if anything is left over from removing the E-MU driver. If there is, you can delete it.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Folks, does anybody have a 1820m( i suppose it is universal for 1212/1616/1820) software/driver CD-ROM in a .iso file?

Tried archive.org, google gives little results
!

Reticular wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:26 pm Folks, does anybody have a 1820m( i suppose it is universal for 1212/1616/1820) software/driver CD-ROM in a .iso file?

Is there a particular reason you want an .ISO of the drivers?

I don't know if version 2 of the driver was even supplied on a CD-ROM. If I remember correctly, it came out a couple of years after they officially stopped supporting the device. I know it came out after they stopped selling the device, at least. The drivers weren't even officially made for Windows 7.

With all the tweaks people have to do now to get the drivers (and PatchMix) to work properly in Windows 10, I wouldn't think a monolithic, one-size-fits-all install routine would work very well.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I have 2 1616M's and a 1616. I have had them running fine on a win 10 using the instructions here and connected to the Windows audio. After some time away I got back and the performance on Windows audio is basically broken. They work fine in ASIO but the underruns in Windows audio are incredibly bad in both systems (AMD based) I have tested so far. I went through the whole drill of reinstallation with no improvement. Have others noticed this deterioration of the interface to Windows audio?
I use these for audio measurements and the problems are immedately obvious. I may need to revert to Win 7 for a reliable system.

1audio wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:39 pm I have 2 1616M's and a 1616. I have had them running fine on a win 10 using the instructions here and connected to the Windows audio. After some time away I got back and the performance on Windows audio is basically broken. They work fine in ASIO but the underruns in Windows audio are incredibly bad in both systems (AMD based) I have tested so far. I went through the whole drill of reinstallation with no improvement. Have others noticed this deterioration of the interface to Windows audio?
I use these for audio measurements and the problems are immedately obvious. I may need to revert to Win 7 for a reliable system.
It could be a Windows update has made the changes, and it's not really related to the E-MU (or ASIO) at all. You may want to make sure all the unnecessary services and start-up apps are disabled, if you haven't already done that.

I don't know if it's this thread or the other one on here that covers how to do a thorough un-/re-install of the drivers—including cleaning out the Registry and manually deleting leftover driver files. There's also a good thread here about optimizing your system: viewtopic.php?p=8866906#p8866906.

Keep in mind that if you go back to Windows 7, you may lose access to plug-ins that either don't install or just don't work in Windows 7. And since they're no longer supported, you'll be out of luck on that end, too.

Steve

planetearth wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:06 pm
Reticular wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:26 pm Folks, does anybody have a 1820m( i suppose it is universal for 1212/1616/1820) software/driver CD-ROM in a .iso file?

Is there a particular reason you want an .ISO of the drivers?

I don't know if version 2 of the driver was even supplied on a CD-ROM. If I remember correctly, it came out a couple of years after they officially stopped supporting the device. I know it came out after they stopped selling the device, at least. The drivers weren't even officially made for Windows 7.

With all the tweaks people have to do now to get the drivers (and PatchMix) to work properly in Windows 10, I wouldn't think a monolithic, one-size-fits-all install routine would work very well.

Steve
Hi, yes

I got 1820m working fine on the latest drivers, it is not about that, i just want to have the barebone install cd. I´m modding it so i´m trying other OS-es too which 5-6 drivers i have do not cover and i had a cd once which can go down to windows 98.
!

I just reinstalled windows 10 (ensuring its clean) and tested the options. ASIO works fine. Windows Audio plays back fine. But Windows Audio records with massive dropouts, underruns, roughly every 5 mS or so. And thats at 48 KHz sample rate. I could find no buffer adjustment etc. for the windows audio inteface. Maybe buried in the registry there is something?
I tried HiFi cable but was not sure it wasn't bypassing the analog side. I'll try it again but it makes things pretty kludgy. Unfortunately some of the specific audio measurement software I need does not support ASIO.

1audio wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:47 am I just reinstalled windows 10 (ensuring its clean) and tested the options. ASIO works fine. Windows Audio plays back fine. But Windows Audio records with massive dropouts, underruns, roughly every 5 mS or so. And thats at 48 KHz sample rate. I could find no buffer adjustment etc. for the windows audio inteface. Maybe buried in the registry there is something?
I tried HiFi cable but was not sure it wasn't bypassing the analog side. I'll try it again but it makes things pretty kludgy. Unfortunately some of the specific audio measurement software I need does not support ASIO.
Which application are you referring to when you say “Windows Audio plays back fine,” but “Windows Audio records with massive dropouts”?

There is no native “Windows Audio” app (or driver), so what are you referring to? What are you using to record that’s giving you these problems?

There is no buffer adjustment for “the windows audio interface” because there is no “windows audio interface”. And even if there were, it wouldn’t use “buffers” like you’re used to seeing with ASIO settings.

Windows’ native audio “driver” is WASAPI. But that’s not really a “driver”; it’s an application programming interface. It’s just a way for audio apps to exchange data within Windows, unlike a driver, which allows software to communicate with hardware. The WASAPI is the Windows Audio Session Application Programming Interface. It does basically the same thing ASIO does, but ASIO does it much more efficiently on most machines.

Steve

What I meant was that playing through what E-Mu describes as "Wave" works fine but recording through "Wave" does not. I tried several apps including Virtins, which suports both "Wave" and ASIO and its Wave recording that is broken. The attached pictures show the problem.
I will continue with Hifi cable despite its clumsyness unless someone has some insights.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1audio wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:40 pm What I meant was that playing through what E-Mu describes as "Wave" works fine but recording through "Wave" does not. I tried several apps including Virtins, which suports both "Wave" and ASIO and its Wave recording that is broken. The attached pictures show the problem.
I will continue with Hifi cable despite its clumsyness unless someone has some insights.
I'll look at mine again when I get back to my DAW.

What are you using the "hifi" cable for—and what kind of cable is it?

Steve

Has anyone experienced working with E-MU 1212M on Windows 10 22H2? I just assembled a Windows 10 machine and already I can see that it updated to 22H2. While there are good devices out there, I am a firm believer of this card and would actually like to use this for final mastering. Hence the question as to whether there are compatibility or other issues with 22H2 version of Windows 10 Pro.

ssimlai wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 pm Has anyone experienced working with E-MU 1212M on Windows 10 22H2? I just assembled a Windows 10 machine and already I can see that it updated to 22H2. While there are good devices out there, I am a firm believer of this card and would actually like to use this for final mastering. Hence the question as to whether there are compatibility or other issues with 22H2 version of Windows 10 Pro.
You should be fine with Win10-22H2. There are people still using the 1616M on Windows 11. Some Win10 users have had to re-install the drivers after Windows updated itself, but from what I've seen in this thread and another similar one on KVR, you can get it to work. You may have to look through these threads to see what you need to do to thoroughly uninstall the drivers if an update breaks something. But that's only "if"—you should be fine, otherwise.

Steve

planetearth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 pm
ssimlai wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 pm Has anyone experienced working with E-MU 1212M on Windows 10 22H2? I just assembled a Windows 10 machine and already I can see that it updated to 22H2. While there are good devices out there, I am a firm believer of this card and would actually like to use this for final mastering. Hence the question as to whether there are compatibility or other issues with 22H2 version of Windows 10 Pro.
You should be fine with Win10-22H2. There are people still using the 1616M on Windows 11. Some Win10 users have had to re-install the drivers after Windows updated itself, but from what I've seen in this thread and another similar one on KVR, you can get it to work. You may have to look through these threads to see what you need to do to thoroughly uninstall the drivers if an update breaks something. But that's only "if"—you should be fine, otherwise.

Steve
Thanks Steve you made my day! and thanks for the quick answer.

May I please take the opportunity to ask one more question? I would like to buy a Sync Daughter Card for my E-MU 1212M PCI (non-Firewire 1010 card) to connect with the Word Clock signal from my other devices and multiple computers, besides the already existing ADAT feature on the main card. I found a Sync Daughter Card online but that comes together with a Firewire 1010 card. The part number of the Sync Daughter Card shown online is E-MU EM8830.

Can I safely assume that the EM8830 would work on non-Firewire card as well? The reason for asking this question is, I found another post of someone selling a Microdock, specifically stating that it wouldn't work on Firewire type 1010 cards.

In other words, is the E-MU 1010 card model EM8960 compatible with Sync Daughter card EM8830?

In any case, I shall be connecting the ADAT port of my E-MU 1212M (which comes with its present 0202 daughter card) to my Behringer ADA8000, to get double the inputs. The ADA8000 comes with Word Clock In and Out. My other computer has a Presonus 1824c that also comes with Word Clock (and ADAT). Finally I have a Word Clock Sync Generator from ART, which I intend using as the master word clock for the entire system.

Therefore, in case I am unable to lay my hands on a Sync daughtercard, will the EMU 1212M which is synced by ADAT, also need a word clock port, or can it use the word clock signal from the Behringer?

Sorry the questions might sound stupid, as would happen since I am trying to relearn my own 26 year old setup!

Any help would be welcome.

Regards
Sumit

Hi,

I'm looking at this EM 8830 dauther card i got with the 1820m which has a "firewire" so i suppose mines is the "firewire" version, so i dont know if it helps, never used it tho and also never used firewire port on the pci card either but it came with it.

2 wc connectors
2 smpte
1mtc out

I hope this helps

Also, managed to get w10 working, thanks and cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
!

ssimlai wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:03 pm
planetearth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 pm

Steve
Thanks Steve you made my day! and thanks for the quick answer.

May I please take the opportunity to ask one more question? I would like to buy a Sync Daughter Card for my E-MU 1212M PCI (non-Firewire 1010 card) to connect with the Word Clock signal from my other devices and multiple computers, besides the already existing ADAT feature on the main card. I found a Sync Daughter Card online but that comes together with a Firewire 1010 card. The part number of the Sync Daughter Card shown online is E-MU EM8830.

Can I safely assume that the EM8830 would work on non-Firewire card as well? The reason for asking this question is, I found another post of someone selling a Microdock, specifically stating that it wouldn't work on Firewire type 1010 cards.

In other words, is the E-MU 1010 card model EM8960 compatible with Sync Daughter card EM8830?

In any case, I shall be connecting the ADAT port of my E-MU 1212M (which comes with its present 0202 daughter card) to my Behringer ADA8000, to get double the inputs. The ADA8000 comes with Word Clock In and Out. My other computer has a Presonus 1824c that also comes with Word Clock (and ADAT). Finally I have a Word Clock Sync Generator from ART, which I intend using as the master word clock for the entire system.

Therefore, in case I am unable to lay my hands on a Sync daughtercard, will the EMU 1212M which is synced by ADAT, also need a word clock port, or can it use the word clock signal from the Behringer?

Sorry the questions might sound stupid, as would happen since I am trying to relearn my own 26 year old setup!

Any help would be welcome.

Regards
Sumit
Sorry, I just saw this.

Your question definitely doesn't sound stupid, and it's a legitimate question regarding the various configurations of E-MU hardware. Unfortunately, this is where I have to admit I just don't know the answer. I would assume the E-MU 1010 card model EM8960 should be compatible with Sync daughter card EM8830. I understand you've seen someone say it won't work, but you've by now also seen the post from @Reticular who seems to have it working on the FireWire version of the card. I also have it working on the FireWire version of my card, in my 1820m system. Yes, we both have the FireWire version, but I assume that if E-MU were going to limit the use of the daughter card in a configuration, it would be in one with a FireWire card, to minimize the data traffic and electro-magnetic interference. But since the Sync card works with FireWire support, I would imagine it should work without it.

I don't know if there's an option for you to buy the daughter card to see if it works and return it within a month if it doesn't. But failing that, I don't think E-MU would have limited the non-FireWire version of the card in such a way as to disable the add-on daughterboard. That would have resulted in a lot of confusion and frustration for customers, especially since the add-on cards were sold separately. Also, E-MU didn't make that many different versions of their drivers. I have all the versions I've been able to find over the last 14 or so years, and not one is labeled "FireWire" or "non-FireWire" or anything like that.

Maybe someone who has a system closer to what you're putting together can answer the question. We can just bump this thread every few days to keep it showing on KVR, but like the original NASA scientists who put together and launched Voyagers 1 and 2 almost 47 years ago, there aren't that many E-MU card users around now. :roll:

Steve

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”