Favourite all-in-one channel strip?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok got it. Using Waves Central one has the option to target which device activates the plugin(s). Basically i just want to make sure i can keep my usb ports free to use the plugins.

Recourt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:43 pm Speaking of Waves, the SSL 4k EV2 is fantastic. Smokes the bx SSL strips in my opinion.
I own all of the above.
With the exception of the preamp modeling, the Waves EV2 and Brianworx 4000 E sound pretty close to identical. I've found you can get the same sort of preamp distortion (up to a point) on the Brainworx model by turning up the THD and In Gain.

I really like that EV2 doesn't force bullshit auto-gain compensation on you. Brainworx sort of does, by separating the THD and gain, so that is a point in Waves' favour. However, if you're using the SSL channel to emulate a mixing console rather than a tracking front-end, then preamp modeling is moot. And by mix and matching the Brainworx models, you get a wider selection of EQ modules, with not just the 82E02 (brown) and 82E242 (black) but also the 82E132 (orange "Pul-tec") and 82E292 (pink) and x3 /3 expanded mid-frequency ranges from the G series.

And most of all, you get the TMT channel variations which I've found make a huge difference at the mixing console stage. Since I'm using the SSL channels strictly for mixing console emulation, I ended up going with the Brainworx models for those reasons.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

VOODOO U wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:56 pm
Burillo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:20 pm No they don't. You can use a USB device to authorize.
Isn't that a type of dongle?
When people say "dongle" they mean something like an ilok. Waves doesn't need those. It can authorize to any USB device, as well as your computer. So no, it isn't.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:53 pm It can authorize to any USB device, as well as your computer.
The latter is what I'm looking for. Cheers for the info.

jamcat wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:00 pm
Recourt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:43 pm Speaking of Waves, the SSL 4k EV2 is fantastic. Smokes the bx SSL strips in my opinion.
I own all of the above.
With the exception of the preamp modeling, the Waves EV2 and Brianworx 4000 E sound pretty close to identical. I've found you can get the same sort of preamp distortion (up to a point) on the Brainworx model by turning up the THD and In Gain.

I really like that EV2 doesn't force bullshit auto-gain compensation on you. Brainworx sort of does, by separating the THD and gain, so that is a point in Waves' favour. However, if you're using the SSL channel to emulate a mixing console rather than a tracking front-end, then preamp modeling is moot. And by mix and matching the Brainworx models, you get a wider selection of EQ modules, with not just the 82E02 (brown) and 82E242 (black) but also the 82E132 (orange "Pul-tec") and 82E292 (pink) and x3 /3 expanded mid-frequency ranges from the G series.

And most of all, you get the TMT channel variations which I've found make a huge difference at the mixing console stage. Since I'm using the SSL channels strictly for mixing console emulation, I ended up going with the Brainworx models for those reasons.
I also own all the bx strips. I like the 4000J but not the E. The compressor sounds way off on the bx 4000E compared to the Waves EV2 in my opinion.

ralfrobert wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:25 pm My goto, a real monster :

https://www.tbproaudio.de/products/cs-5501
I haven't got that but I can't get over how fully featured it is!

hotmitts wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:01 am
ralfrobert wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:25 pm My goto, a real monster :

https://www.tbproaudio.de/products/cs-5501
I haven't got that but I can't get over how fully featured it is!
And it can also sound great.

EXT3 - FL Studio 24 | Surge - Discovery PRO - Classic Boxes Collection - U-he Filterscape - NI Massive - NI Kontour - NI Spark - JP6K - Variety of Sound

Recourt wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:46 am The compressor sounds way off on the bx 4000E compared to the Waves EV2 in my opinion.
Admittedly, I was primarily talking about the EQ, which by all accounts is extremely similar between the bx and EV2.

But, here are some interesting, though imperfect, compressor shootouts with Waves and Brainworx vs. SSL hardware. Imperfect because it’s the Waves CLA MixHub instead of the Waves SSL EV2, and the hardware is the SSL 611 DYN instead of an SL-4000 E console.

However, other shootouts have established that the CLA MixHub and EV2 compressors are essentially identical. And the SSL 611 DYN is a hardware reissue of the compressor from the original SL 611E channel strip module found in the SL-4000 E, but in 500 series form factor. So while imperfect comparisons, I think we’re close enough on all fronts to be informative.

What is interesting in these videos is both plugins’ compressors are very close to the hardware, and David’s commentary in both videos pointing out the (subtle) differences between the software versions and the SSL hardware is nearly identical. In other words, to the extent that they differ at all from the SSL 611, they differ in the same way.

Waves vs. SSL:
https://youtu.be/xg4Z8Vx_Ok4

Brainworx vs. SSL:
https://youtu.be/4Km6gKrZnVw
Last edited by jamcat on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jamcat wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:45 pm ... both videos pointing out the (subtle) differences between the software versions and the SSL hardware is nearly identical...
In a mix played via car speakers or airpods or something similar degraded stuff (which is the sad reality scenario) you won't hear any difference.
Just sayin'...

That’s true. But I would be remiss not to point out at this time that all soloed comparisons are heavily flawed because seemingly insignificant differences on a soloed track often turn out to be huge differences in how the track sits in the mix, particularly how it pokes through the mix.

All shootouts should include “in the mix” comparisons as well as soloed, for that reason.

jamcat wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:18 pm That’s true. But I would be remiss not to point out at this time that all soloed comparisons are heavily flawed because seemingly insignificant differences on a soloed track often turn out to be huge differences in how the track sits in the mix, particularly how it pokes through the mix.

All shootouts should include “in the mix” comparisons as well as soloed, for that reason.
:tu:

There are so many variables involved and the heart is the matter is always the music :band2:
No auto tune...

The bx SSLs (with the exception of the J) just sound softer across an entire mix. The EV2 retains the harder sound I would expect from an SSL. It sound familiar to me.

Fair enough, and as I said, seemingly small differences can make all the difference in the context of a mix.

I maintain Omni channel is the one to beat

If you want the SSL sound I like SSL native version the best, I also have waves and PA versions to compare with

Return to “Effects”