Eventide H90 - opinions?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
I'm trying to build a pedalboard, I have a Keeley Compressor Plus, and Ibanez TS9, was thinking of next getting Boss DD-200 for delay, and Electro Harmonix Oceans 11 reverb.
But I've heard some good things about the new Eventide H90, could it basically replace the Boss DD200 and the Oceans 11?

well it is like two pedals in one, the effects are great but maybe not that deep compared to "reverb pedal" or "delay" dedicated units, but it can do a lot and you get some stuff in other areas as modulation, distortion and more.
dedication to flying

sounds good, thanks for the info

Eventide H90 or Elektron Analog Heat+FX ?

I guess there's plenty of differences, but then, if you had to choose, which would you prefer?
<List your stupid gear here>

Eventide algorithms are fantastic and are hard to compare with other brands. With the H90 you get a great compliment of fairly tweakable algos and hundreds of good quality presets to start from. The routing options on the H90 make it as flexible as having two independent pedals.

The Boss and EHX pedals may be more immediate if you are interested in hands on control, but being able to have the state of your delay and reverb (or other effects) in a single pedal can be very attractive to gigging players.

You can demo the plug-ins based on H9 algorithms to get an idea of whether that sound is what you are looking for.

egbert101 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:51 pm Eventide H90 or Elektron Analog Heat+FX ?

I guess there's plenty of differences, but then, if you had to choose, which would you prefer?
Ah geez... I would not choose between these. I'd get both. :hihi:

justin3am wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:35 pm
egbert101 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:51 pm Eventide H90 or Elektron Analog Heat+FX ?

Ah geez... I would not choose between these. I'd get both. :hihi:
Good point. My eye is on the Syntakt followed by the H90, although of course missing some effects but all I need is a bit of saturation anyway. Still, I thought it was an amusing choice.
<List your stupid gear here>

Syntakt and H90 would be a good combo. So would Syntakt and AH+FX. I just started playing with controlling the AH+FX's parameters from my Octatrack's MIDI sequencer. Lots of fun!

The effects in the AH+FX aren't very deep... but all of the effects can be active at once, which is really cool. Combinations of effects can have the same result as a single more complex effect unit. I really wish there were options for saving presets for each of the individual effect slots but they are simple enough that I get the sound I'm looking for without too much trouble. It's really nice having three LFOs and envelope follower and two CV inputs as these effects love modulation.

The effects in the H90 are somewhat deeper and while you only get two effect slots, each algorithm can be a lot more complex than the individual effects slots in the AH+FX. I think that Eventide effects provide a broader palette, if you know what I mean. I'm not sure how the H90 editor compares to Overbridge. Emote for the H9000 can act as a plug-in and pass audio back and forth, like Overbridge does but I can't remember of the H90 editor does that or if it's just an editor.

I have the AH+FX and H90 and I totally agree with Justin on all points. They're pretty different effects and I use them differently. The AH+FX gets used primarily for saturation duties, but the onboard effects are a nice bonus and I love that I can thicken things in a mix with Overbridge. I love the effects on the H90, though. They're in a whole other league compared to Elektron's IMO. Yes, you only get two, but there's so much range in some of the algorithms (some of which are actually multiFX) that it doesn't feel limited to me, not to mention that Eventide's effects layer on pretty thick, so using more than two could be overkill in many cases anyway.
justin3am wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 pm Emote for the H9000 can act as a plug-in and pass audio back and forth, like Overbridge does but I can't remember of the H90 editor does that or if it's just an editor.
No, H90 Control is just an editor, unfortunately, but it's a very good editor that makes programming and managing presets very easy.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”