Which 3 Behringer Synth Modules Would You Buy?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought a Behringer Pro-800 module a while back on impulse. I didn't really need it. But for the money, it was an amazing deal.

Now I'm thinking of picking up a couple of other Behringer modules and putting them in a nice walnut 3-module rack that won't take up much more room on my desk than the Pro-800 module itself.

I'm thinking of getting the Neutron and maybe the CAT. I could of course look this up, but are the Pro-800, Neutron, and CAT all the same width? It looks like the CAT might not be as wide.

I don't think I would get a Model D because I've never been a huge fan of the Minimoog. The lack of PWM in particular always kills me. Also, the 3-stage envelopes are a bit limiting at times. Finally, I hear there can be serious tuning issues with the Behringer Model D. If it's anything like the Moog Slim Phatty that I used to own, then no thanks. I could never keep the Phatty in tune. It took forever to warm up, then would go completely out of tune as all of my other hardware synths starting warming up my studio room. It was a nightmare.

I think I would get the CAT over the K-2 (Korg MS-20 clone) because the CAT is simpler and perhaps a little quirkier. Plus, I like the way it looks compared to the K-2. (Dumb, I know.)

I did hear that Behringer plans to release a successor (not replacement) to the Neutron called the Proton. This page shows the proposed differences between the two synths.

I think the sub-oscillators and dual filters on the Proton are probably worth waiting for. But given Behringer's track record, this could take years. Anyone with any inside knowledge of when the Proton will be released?

If you have any thoughts regarding which two additional Behringer modules I should consider, please let me know. Thanks!
Last edited by Hallo Spaceboy on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

I’ve only owned a few Behringer synths (TD-3, TD-3 MO, RD8, RD9), but the Pro 800 and Neutron look like great synths, especially for the money, and I’m sure the Proton will be a winner as well. If it was me, I’d probably go with a Pro 800 and Neutron, then fill out the trio with a Wasp, all with the expectation that I’d eventually replace the Neutron with a Proton as soon as it’s available.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 am If it was me, I’d probably go with a Pro 800 and Neutron, then fill out the trio with a Wasp, all with the expectation that I’d eventually replace the Neutron with a Proton as soon as it’s available.
I had forgotten all about the Wasp. I need to check that out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Definitely get the CAT and Neutron
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

If the Neutron and Proton sound different enough (because of the sub-oscillators and dual filters on the Proton,) then maybe I'll get a Neutron right now and wait until the Proton comes out and keep both the Neutron and Proton. Decisions...

They do so many one could have several rigs of three covering bass, leads, strings/poly, wibbly wobbly and bleepy bloop.

They need a nice knobby, screeny 8 or 16 track cv gate/midi hardware linear or pattern sequencer to run all these little boxes.

In terms of usefulness (making sounds actually useful for music), I think Model D, K20 and PRO-1 (all of which I already own).
<List your stupid gear here>

Regarding size, Cat is smaller than the others you mention. Most of their units are larger, but the Cat, Wasp and Model D are all the small ones, the others are wider. I'm in same boat as you - never really like Moogs much. They're capable, but something about the filters turn me off, so I have an empty 3rd space. I might cave in and get a D, but I don't really want it.

I can recommend Wasp. It's quite limited, but has what can only be called a truly filthy filter, and just sounds fat...similar kinda character to an OSCar in some ways (different league though, obviously). It's huge fun for such a small price, but its simplicity is deceptive.

I haven't had much of a chance to play my Cat yet, but it's modulation possibilities make it far more weird than it looks - I think it's flown under the radar more than it deserves. I initially thought of it as a basic synth for solid riffs, but actually I suspect I'll use it more for weird bleeps and sync strangeness. I just received my K2 yesterday, haven't even plugged it in yet, but I can vouch for the MS20. My favorite synth ever. I actually liked the MS10 more, but they were almost unusable for tuning drift like your Moog, but MS20s are rock solid. K2 seems to be not 100% an MS20, but has almost all of the raucous character of the real deal. I was a bit surprised how small it's knobs etc feel, but I guess I'm used to the big brother with chunky knobs.

Initially the Neutron didn't appeal to me, but recently I've seen some more inventive demos of it that made me reassess, and I quite like it's rubbery filter- reminiscent of Roland but a bit more aggro. But I want to wait for Proton too. I vaguely remember Behringer saying it was expected in 2024...but who knows? I get the impression it's been put on the back burner, but Behringer can suddenly release by surprise.

If money's no object, then your choice is difficult. But if budget is limited, then Wasp and Cat are 2 of the cheapest and probably pack the best bang for buck. Both different character but powerful in their own right. You wouldn't regret it, but certainly Wasp doesn't have as many bells and whistles.

Nice try, Uli.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I have a neutron but don't use it much. I like the sound but the controls are too small and packed together.

My next analog mono will be the Norand Mono MKII... much more interesting and innovative for me than anything from B.

3 vcs3s.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm .. much more interesting and innovative for me than anything from B.
well that's obvious, without even knowing the synth you're talking about :hihi:
no one expects innovation from behringer, they expect cheap!

I saw a video were someone made a whole song with just the CAT, it really is great. The new one is the Kobol Expander, it has some nice options, if not the most exciting looks. And last might be a toss up between either the Pro8 or the Torus. I do like an analog bass.

I think the 2500-series modular bits are some of the most interesting and guilt-free items in Behringer's catalogue.

Not quite what OP asked for I know, but I'd rather spend the equivalent on a small modular system than on three monosynths.

I’d recommend buying their copies of a Moog Mirror, a Pittsburgh Modular Taiga, or a Bastl Softpop SP2.

Or if digital is your thing, their copy of a Teenage Engineering OP-Z.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”