Narrowed it down to the Novation Impulse or Akai MPK249

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I rather think it's due to the quality of the used potentiometers. There are really good ones, which don't mess up like that. And, there are the really cheap ones which do.

That said, I had it on both my M-Audio keyboard, and the Impulse. So, it's probably a pretty common issue.

I had an issue like that and someone mentioned a setting in Cakewalk. After changing the setting, then it worked normally. I thought it was my keyboard's controls making a few weird jumps when recording the knobs movements.

I've been using the same ReMOTE 25SL since 2006 (almost 18 years). It connects nicely with Ableton Live (v.6 - 12). Never had any issues with it. Built to last as far as I can see ... i've not tried the Impulse or any Akai "Pro" gear. :shrug:

I just got an Akai MPK249, 2nd hand. I love it. It's a game changer for me. I was using an M-Audio Axiom but found it too complex. My little brain. The Akai is so intuitive.

Just got my Impulse 49 up and running this morning. I bought a refurbed unit from Novation / Focusrite - must've been in the warehouse for a bit as the box was covered in a black film of dust!!

A tad faffy to set up and update, but no big deal. Mackie HUI works with Reaper (which I'm demoing), keys seem good, pots and faders seem sturdy.

Bundled downloadable software is lacking the Novation synths - it seems that they have airbrushed them from history in the last 6 months or so.

It's big!! After dealing with small mini key controllers (and a larger Emu one I sold yonks ago) I wasn't quite expecting the size. Not sure where to store it. The kitchen table doesn't seem right, somehow...
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

I'm still content with mine as well. Sure, there are better keyboards out there, but, the value for money is hard to beat. Aftertouch, decent keyboard, decent faders and encoders, and good support from Novation. Nice "package". ;)

Just for the record, I've had an Akai MPK mini plus for just over a year. It gets used sporadically, yet pots don't suffer the way mentioned above. Maybe still too new?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”