I bought too many soft synths

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post

machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 am
mitchiemasha wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 am
seangm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:24 am "I bought too many soft synths"

I don't understand these strange words
This kind of sums it up. Go ahead buy more, keep on buying until you own every last 1 that exists.
One of the things I keep on thinking about is solutions like Komplete Kontrol, while far from perfect the idea is to take your entire library and make all presets sortable, so you can just treat everything you own like a workstation synth. It's a great idea no matter how mediocrely it's implemented. It's how I treat 99% of the synths I own, I have a few hardware and software synths I always turn to, then I treat the rest like a workstation. It takes choice paralysis off the table really.

Now if NI would get off their ass and clean up their selection stupidity, 350 choices for hard bass with no ability to select another descriptive term isn't that helpful. :x
Nope, I don't understand what you're saying! But hard bass sounds interesting!
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W11, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Post

mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 am
machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 am
mitchiemasha wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 am
seangm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:24 am "I bought too many soft synths"

I don't understand these strange words
This kind of sums it up. Go ahead buy more, keep on buying until you own every last 1 that exists.
One of the things I keep on thinking about is solutions like Komplete Kontrol, while far from perfect the idea is to take your entire library and make all presets sortable, so you can just treat everything you own like a workstation synth. It's a great idea no matter how mediocrely it's implemented. It's how I treat 99% of the synths I own, I have a few hardware and software synths I always turn to, then I treat the rest like a workstation. It takes choice paralysis off the table really.

Now if NI would get off their ass and clean up their selection stupidity, 350 choices for hard bass with no ability to select another descriptive term isn't that helpful. :x
Nope, I don't understand what you're saying! But hard bass sounds interesting!
Komplete Kontrol takes all your softsynths and in theory filters them down, but the filters are too little if you own a good amount of soft synths.

Hard Bass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu24_PURGdQ

Post

I once bought too many soft synths. I will never forget that day.

Post

machinesworking wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:33 am
mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 am
machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 am
mitchiemasha wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 am
seangm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:24 am "I bought too many soft synths"

I don't understand these strange words
This kind of sums it up. Go ahead buy more, keep on buying until you own every last 1 that exists.
One of the things I keep on thinking about is solutions like Komplete Kontrol, while far from perfect the idea is to take your entire library and make all presets sortable, so you can just treat everything you own like a workstation synth. It's a great idea no matter how mediocrely it's implemented. It's how I treat 99% of the synths I own, I have a few hardware and software synths I always turn to, then I treat the rest like a workstation. It takes choice paralysis off the table really.

Now if NI would get off their ass and clean up their selection stupidity, 350 choices for hard bass with no ability to select another descriptive term isn't that helpful. :x
Nope, I don't understand what you're saying! But hard bass sounds interesting!
Komplete Kontrol takes all your softsynths and in theory filters them down, but the filters are too little if you own a good amount of soft synths.

Hard Bass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu24_PURGdQ
KK won't be taking any of my softsynths, the hole idea makes me shiver! i'll take a lot more Hard Bass though, we call it Donk! making up a large % of the bounce scene
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W11, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Post

Jac459 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:13 am

That's the moment where I need to point you towards avenger 2 and spire, 2 sublime sounding softsynths.

But I clearly understand your point.
I stayed a long time within reason studios ecosystem young with their "true to life" synths emulation.

Then I discovered Bitwig. And I decided against hardware and hardware emulation, but it is just my tastes, I fully understand that your could feel opposite.
I'm sure those synths are great, but I can't afford them anyway. It just takes a little too long to work with those one size fits all vst's and I'm not sure that's for me, that's the main reason I don't use Zebra.

Post

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:36 am I once bought too many soft synths. I will never forget that day.
Pray tell.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Post

"Too many soft synths".
That's a crazy variable :hihi:
MuLab of course :D

Post

Just got back from helping ghostwhistler clean up his bedroom closet.
Image

Post

There's another two "too many" in my shopping basket right now ...
I've also bought too many hardware synths :ud:

Post

Jac459 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 amDon't you consider phase plant proved you wrong?
Mostly, PP is hugely inefficient and the results generally underwhelm, because it doesn't sound good enough. Also, if you deconstruct most presets, you see massive over-complication and needless redundancy. Any useful patch I've found, I've been able to reduce to at least half the number of modules without noticeably affecting the output sound. People seem to just keep adding shit to it until they get what they want but they never go back and tidy up the mess they've made. It's pretty much the last synth I own that I'd think about firing up. OTOH, I use the kHs effects quite regularly because they are simple and easy.
gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:01 amthe j6 has excuses as it's based on analogue circuitry but I can see no reason for accepting its restrictions in the software age.
And what, exactly would those restrictions be? I can only think it's down to your lack of imagination and/or skill.
Last edited by BONES on Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Post

VOODOO U wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 pm Just got back from helping ghostwhistler clean up his bedroom closet.
Image
Can you share the patch? :hyper:
MuLab of course :D

Post

liquidsound wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 pm
VOODOO U wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 pm Just got back from helping ghostwhistler clean up his bedroom closet.
Image
Can you share the patch? :hyper:
Oh for f**ks sake. Can't you just AI the damn thing???
8)

Post

BONES wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 pm
Jac459 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 amDon't you consider phase plant proved you wrong?
Mostly, PP is hugely inefficient and the results generally underwhelm, because it doesn't sound good enough. Also, if you deconstruct most presets, you see massive over-complication and needless redundancy. Any useful patch I've found, I've been able to reduce to at least half the number of modules without noticeably affecting the output sound. People seem to just keep adding shit to it until they get what they want but they never go back and tidy up the mess they've made. It's pretty much the last synth I own that I'd think about firing up. OTOH, I use the kHs effects quite regularly because they are simple and easy.
gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:01 amthe j6 has excuses as it's based on analogue circuitry but I can see no reason for accepting its restrictions in the software age.
And what, exactly would those restrictions be? I can only think it's down to your lack of imagination and/or skill.
I don't disagree.
Phase Plants presets are indeed far far from my favourites.
Also phase plant does sound thinner that say Spire or Avenger 2 (and I have no idea why, maybe it is just an impression due to the presets).

BUT

Phase plant is not to be used to tweak presets. Phase plant really shines in its easiness to put on complex sounds from scratch and in particular audio rates modulations (so you have an unmatched control over FM and RM, AM) and per voice effects, again in an hard to beat easiness.
Finally, it's routing options are insane and again super intuitive.

As per the sound quality, I do often end up with a bit more EQ or putting a sub layer with a sine in order to increase the low end and it is all fixed.

Post

VOODOO U wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:25 pm
liquidsound wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 pm
VOODOO U wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 pm Just got back from helping ghostwhistler clean up his bedroom closet.
Image
Can you share the patch? :hyper:
Oh for f**ks sake. Can't you just AI the damn thing???
8)
Analog Insanity!
MuLab of course :D

Post

mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:13 am i'll take a lot more Hard Bass though, we call it Donk! making up a large % of the bounce scene
DJ Blattyman is my personal favorite, just wish his country wasn't f8cking up Ukraine, but I'm sure he's not happy about it either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPGfJfneHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOlUU8l8j5M

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”