Who are some plugin creators that focus more on quality than quantity?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Plogue, Madrona Labs, Cytomic, Sonic Charge, D16

Fors deserves a mention. And they seem to be doubling down by going macOS only while relying on (supposedly) state of the art frameworks.

Agree with many names mentioned.

But the one that came to mind immediately was Tokyo Dawn

Reveal Sound only have ONE! And it's a corker :tu:

Oh goody, a list thread...

Clicks all the OP's boxes; One free, eight total, all solid and easy to deal with.
Plus a free gift every year.
AAS - Applied Acoustic Systems
https://www.applied-acoustics.com/products/
One of my top three developers/companies to deal with along with u-He and Modartt.
Clicks all the OP's boxes

I don't own any yet, but I've been planning to get KORG products for some time. They're very much of a similar quality and quantity to u-he, IMHO.

Of those I do own, XILS-lab & HY-Plugins haven't been mentioned yet. And a newer one but definitely one to keep an eye on, if their first few products are anything to go by, OxyDSP.
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

agree with all names mentioned. 1 i would like to add;

Arturia.

Now, i am not sure if i would call them quality over quantity lately per se, but Pigments (for sure) and their fx suite are top notch

Acon, Audiority, Fuse Audio Labs, HY, and Sixth Sample come immediately to mind as developers who I find are passionate about the quality of their deliverables.

Here's how I measure it. Quality is something that gets applied holistically and permeates every aspect of delivery. When you can see a developer is doing all the little things correctly and pays close attention to detail, in the things you can see & hear, you can likely assume they are doing it in their code and DSP as well. If they can't get the little things (like: install / docs / updates / customer service) right, then it immediately calls into suspicion everything below the surface.

For more into the philosophical nature of "quality", I suggest to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

kidslow wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:32 pm
For more into the philosophical nature of "quality", I suggest to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Then read "The Wisdom of Insecurity".

I'd add Tone2 to this list - they have a decent-sized portfolio now but only because most of these synths have been around for years, and yet are constantly being updated and improved.

I actually only own Nemesis but have been using that so much I haven't purchased the others, but that's a no brainer in the future.

Beside them and a few of the more obvious (u-he, TAL), two of the smaller developers (who've been mentioned I think) would be Madrona Labs and Psychic Modulation, both of home have some really deep niche products.

BBFG# wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:36 pm Then read "The Wisdom of Insecurity".
What does Watts have to say on the topic of quality? I like to listen to Watts lectures some times, but Pirsig tackles that question head on:
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."
I at least tried to apply a definition of quality to overlay my answer. Otherwise it's just another list thread with everyone chipping in their favorite developers. Whoopee!

Judging from some of the responses, others might benefit from further introspection into the question of quality, hence my book recommendation.
https://web.archive.org/web/20171010010 ... uality.pdf

Variety of Sounds by Herbert Goldstein "Bootsie". :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

kidslow wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:17 am
BBFG# wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:36 pm Then read "The Wisdom of Insecurity".
What does Watts have to say on the topic of quality? I like to listen to Watts lectures some times, but Pirsig tackles that question head on:
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."
I at least tried to apply a definition of quality to overlay my answer. Otherwise it's just another list thread with everyone chipping in their favorite developers. Whoopee!

Judging from some of the responses, others might benefit from further introspection into the question of quality, hence my book recommendation.
https://web.archive.org/web/20171010010 ... uality.pdf
It was a bit tongue in cheek.
I'll paraphrase one observation from that writing here;
"When you stop to explain the moment, you've already lost it."

Sonimus.

Return to “Instruments”