The Studio Log - What Did You Do In The Studio

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Over the past couple of weeks...

Built the Neutral Labs Scrat and two pairs of Zlob modules, Skew LFOs (which are 3HP), and MiniAtts (which are 2HP) I got because they're great for filling up those little gaps in rows. Still to test the Scrat and LFOs. The Scrat build got paused for a week because the kit didnt seem to have the 3.3nF caps so I had to order a pack of them. Found them just after I finished building it, of course.

Also unbricked my OWL pedal (again!, and while it was ultimately pretty easy to do, finding the current information on doing it was a PITA to track down properly across multiple iterations of the company website (Hoxton, Rebeltech, Openware, oh my) and tools.
Turns out there's now a web-based DFU flash tool behind the curtain.

Updated firmware on Disting and Disting EX, and, having watched Molten's vid on the EX's sample functionality, tracked down and ordered some SDCards that can handle the sample playback demands better.

Tracked down and made sure I had downloads of the 'factory' sample libraries for the few bits of hardware Ive got that came with one; Korg ES-1, Microgranny, Disting EX, Radio Music. Made sure I had backups of the SDcard or firmware for all sorts of other things, and made sure they were in the same place.

Played around with the MicroGranny trying to get my head around its preset system, which I always ignored the f**k out of. Played around with its KLF samples to death just because. Uhuh uhuh. Looked at a Max4Live device for controlling the MG's CCs, found a tool for renaming the samples (MG Organicer) and another one in Python that I havent tried yet that seems to be a preset librarian/editor.

Found an archive of all the Babani and Bernard books as PDFs.

Watched some pootubes on modding ISD1820 boards.

Velcro'd all the remote controls in the studio to a shelf strut so I stop losing the f**kers.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Finally got around to checking out one of the main reasons I went to Mac, I managed to set up my TR-8S as an aggregate device linked with my Digiface, could run the TR-Editor and make changes on the TR8S directly or the editor and all running in time with whatever else I was playing in Reaper.
Going from just the Digiface to Digiface plus TR8S latency only went up a tad from 3.1ms to 4.5ms. Buggered if I could tell the difference.
Seriously impressed with how tight it’s all syncing up.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I'm preparing for two upcoming presentations.
I'm doing another DIY electric shaker box workshop with the SoCal Synth Society in Fullerton, CA on Saturday the 4th. This time it's a soldering event, so I will be helping folks build their shaker boxes.

I'll also be doing a Bitwig workshop for the LA Synth Club on Monday the 6th. This presentation is focused on building a simple synth in the Grid and interfacing with modular synths via a DC-coupled audio interface.

that socal thing seems to be going well 8)

ive been filling up some folders with cloud busting samples :D

Wrote up my study of Akemie's Castle.

Drezno is probably next. That's going to be a weird one to cover and requires a plan of attack.

foosnark wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:00 pm Wrote up my study of Akemie's Castle.

Drezno is probably next. That's going to be a weird one to cover and requires a plan of attack.
Nice! Looking forward to reading through it after work.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:21 am Built the Neutral Labs Scrat and two pairs of Zlob modules, Skew LFOs (which are 3HP), and MiniAtts (which are 2HP) I got because they're great for filling up those little gaps in rows. Still to test the Scrat and LFOs. The Scrat build got paused for a week because the kit didnt seem to have the 3.3nF caps so I had to order a pack of them. Found them just after I finished building it, of course.
tested the LFOs and Scrat. All working. Boy is the Scrat a gnarly little beastie... :hyper:
Im going to have to get used to the CV frequency control pot being above the manual frequency pot, feels like it should be next to the socket but that's kinda trivial.
Swapping in Bananuts before mounting, Ive now done that on all the modules Ive built except the Turing Machine (where they dont quite fit.)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I recorded a piano/keyboard improvisation, manually quantized it to 90 BPM, then condensed it down to about 45 seconds. I also translated most of the right hand performance to the LinnStrument.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:38 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:21 am Built the Neutral Labs Scrat and two pairs of Zlob modules, Skew LFOs (which are 3HP), and MiniAtts (which are 2HP) I got because they're great for filling up those little gaps in rows. Still to test the Scrat and LFOs. The Scrat build got paused for a week because the kit didnt seem to have the 3.3nF caps so I had to order a pack of them. Found them just after I finished building it, of course.
tested the LFOs and Scrat. All working. Boy is the Scrat a gnarly little beastie... :hyper:
Im going to have to get used to the CV frequency control pot being above the manual frequency pot, feels like it should be next to the socket but that's kinda trivial.
Swapping in Bananuts before mounting, Ive now done that on all the modules Ive built except the Turing Machine (where they dont quite fit.)
cool! i haven't got round to buying scrat yet!!
i should fix that at some point!!

Dub mix on a friend’s song today.

Upgraded my new MPC One with Stems and OMG, it's absolutely insane!

Also, worked on vocals for a new song with a new singer, and spent a bunch of time with my new TR-8S.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Started writing my notes on Xaoc Drezno -- I'm almost done with the audio processing portion of it.

My wife: "...so you're writing another book?" :hihi:

The soldering event went really well. We had a decent turn out and all of the folks who were soldering for the first time, went home with at least one working project!
I think there were 20-25 people who showed up to build projects and repair pedals. Lots of fun and some great performances as well!

My Bitwig workshop is tonight and while I feel unprepared, I think I have more than enough topics to cover that I won't run out of things to talk about. :lol:

justin3am wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:56 pm all of the folks who were soldering for the first time, went home with at least one working project!
..and a full complement of working fingers without burns?

Soldering is not for me I learned a long time ago.. :cry:

Yep! No singed or severed body parts (possibly some scorched beard hair :hihi: ).

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”