Reason 13 Announced- Sequencer updated!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kae wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:39 am Of course. If you're going to take advantage of the modular features of Reason patching is needed.
Yes, if course - but that doesn't require any cables in Reason - that's what I meant (and said).
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

the CV-based modulation offers a significant advantage because the modulated control remains adjustable. This benefit persists even when modulation occurs through Combinators, although cabling is still required.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

No cables are needed in Reason. I feel like a broken record at this point. RTFM guys!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:23 am No cables are needed in Reason. I feel like a broken record at this point. RTFM guys!
If I want to run a audiofile through a reverb then I won't need cables. But if I want to extract negative values from the signal from Zfo2 in Cmd:constants to modulate the note range on the position gate in the Psq1684, I will need to patch some cables. Patching cables in Reason has been a primary focus for Reason since it started and one of the draws for people to use the software to begin with, not everyone, but a lot. Making a comment on how other pieces of software have implemented helpful features while Reason still requires lengthy work arounds is often discussed on boards and to facetiously reply saying well you just don't need to use this massive part of the software is kinda pointless. But thank you for pointing out I don't need 40% of the features, I'll RTFM.

Adding a gainer is now considered a new device ...lol
Why don't they update Thor with better filter algos etc, instead of releasing another basic 2 osc synth ?
Fact that this company is still alive is a small miracle
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Fri May 03, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

You can completely forget about the cables as jens said. And drag and drop and it will work as in any other daw. So sure if you want geeky stuff then the cabling is needed.

A quick tip that saved me a ton of work even if you use cables or not: when you have several devices stacked one after another after another - the cabling/connecting of devices is serial. In the past when I wanted to reorder devices (for example from the bottom to the top of the chain) I usually dragged one to the bottom and moved to the top (or anywhere in the chain), but the connection behind remained the same. Then I flipped the rack and manually reconnected everything so that the connection was represented in order. That which is now on top was connected to the one after it and so on and so on.

But that is bad and the tip here is - if you want to reorder devices and their connections as well you press and hold the left shift and then move the device up or down in the chain - it will connect/reconnect automatically based on order.

What a relief.
Last edited by kmonkey on Fri May 03, 2024 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jens wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:23 am No cables are needed in Reason. I feel like a broken record at this point. RTFM guys!
Cables are very cool. Seriously.

I gotta laugh at the people who want to do geeky stuff such as CV and splitting signals, hence the use of routing is needed as in any other DAW out there, and some clicking is needed - yet they make it as if this is some manual labor stuff or that this drains their brains so that they need to take a 2-day vacation.

What a bunch of sissies unbelievable.

DrFolder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:52 am
I will need to patch
yes
some cables.
no

kmonkey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:55 am I gotta laugh at the people who want to do geeky stuff such as CV and splitting signals, hence the use of routing is needed as in any other DAW out there, and some clicking is needed - yet they make it as if this is some manual labor stuff or that this drains their brains so that they need to take a 2-day vacation.

I hear what you are saying, but if you need to route, split and attenuate 64 cables to over 300 destinations , this does take a substantial amount of time. Certainly not a slightly inconvenient amount of time. If there is software that can do it in 10 minutes instead of 1-2 hours then that's a notable timesaver, and worth pointing out.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:53 am Fact that this company is still alive is a small miracle
They have a very loyal user base going back to ReBirth!...Also they have made some of the best sounding virtual instruments I have heard (and some of the more interesting mdi effects) in any format.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

DrFolder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:05 am
kmonkey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:55 am I gotta laugh at the people who want to do geeky stuff such as CV and splitting signals, hence the use of routing is needed as in any other DAW out there, and some clicking is needed - yet they make it as if this is some manual labor stuff or that this drains their brains so that they need to take a 2-day vacation.

I hear what you are saying, but if you need to route, split and attenuate 64 cables to over 300 destinations , this does take a substantial amount of time. Certainly not a slightly inconvenient amount of time. If there is software that can do it in 10 minutes instead of 1-2 hours then that's a notable timesaver, and worth pointing out.
How do you route 64 sources to 300 destinations between plugins in other DAWs? Routing possibilities is actually where Reason excels. The possibility is there if you want it, hardly ever need to turn the rack if you just want normal routing.

jens wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:20 am
kae wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:39 am Of course. If you're going to take advantage of the modular features of Reason patching is needed.
Yes, if course - but that doesn't require any cables in Reason - that's what I meant (and said).
We agree here. My post wasn't directed at you, but rather those who may think routing in Reason is something cumbersome they have to deal with for just stacking normal plugin chains.
Last edited by kae on Fri May 03, 2024 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

kae wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 am

How do you route 64 sources to 300 destinations between plugins in other DAWs? Routing possibilities is actually where Reason excels. The possibility is there if you want it, hardly ever need to turn the rack if you just want normal routing.
Reaktor and VCV allow you to have multiple connections from one port. You have to route a cable to a splitter to mult it in Reason, and then mult it again after 4 or so connections. In VCV you can even route multiple cables into one port (summing) and has polyphonic cabling. This is something I would love to see in Reason since the rack extensions are so good.

DrFolder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:22 am
kae wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 am

Reaktor and VCV allow you to have multiple connections from one port. You have to route a cable to a splitter to mult it in Reason, and then mult it again after 4 or so connections. In VCV you can even route multiple cables into one port (summing) and has polyphonic cabling.
Haven't tried Reaktor (last 20 years) or VCV, but I'd definitely support multiple cables from same output. Unnecessary workaround having to use a splitter.
Not often I need it though. Can only think of sidechaining cases.
Neither of them are a DAW though so not a fair comparison. I'm sure Reason has to take other things into consideration that they don't have to.
Last edited by kae on Fri May 03, 2024 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”