Contest May: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:clap: :love:

The Peu wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:46 pm This is the one to use, and it's actually really good.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/triple-cheese-by-u-he
That's the one I vaguely remembered.

There was also this filter:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/frohmage-by-ohm-force

Which apparently now exists in an updated, less cheesy version:

https://www.ohmforce.com/frohmager

harvon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:02 pm
skipscada wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:27 pm
harvon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:00 pm Oh my!

Despite it's name, the AI is not intelligent at the moment, but rather a way to retrieve existing human knowledge and experience akin to reading a book, and a way to perform some operations on it.
In other words regurgitating received knowledge or opinion about something without adding a personal perspective. It's the opposite of creative. I guess in a small way I actually use some sort of AI for generating drum tracks (choosing and adjusting midi "in a human way" in EZDrummer3), and even that tends to drain my enthusiasm by making it feel less like my own creation.
You didn't invent english language, nor the music scales, nor the conventions of harmony, nor the instruments you use, nor lots of this' or that's. Creativity is just regurgitating new combinations, arrangements etc of what you know.

Unless you believe that your brain operates in some mystical neverunderstandable way, does it matter if the combinations, arrangements etc are done by a brain or a computer?
I don't quite understand what you mean nor the relevance of this. What I do know is that for me the whole point of making music to have a bit of fun, use parts of my brain that I don't normally use as much as I'd like, and feel a certain satisfaction if the track turns out more or less listenable. I understand that others might find it interesting to involve AI in the creative process, but to me it's pointless, like playing chess with the "support" of a chess engine just to feel the satisfaction of beating the other guy.

skipscada wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:43 pm
I don't quite understand what you mean nor the relevance of this. What I do know is that for me the whole point of making music to have a bit of fun, use parts of my brain that I don't normally use as much as I'd like, and feel a certain satisfaction if the track turns out more or less listenable. I understand that others might find it interesting to involve AI in the creative process, but to me it's pointless, like playing chess with the "support" of a chess engine just to feel the satisfaction of beating the other guy.
I don't care about beating other guys. Using AI and other tools makes music better and easier to create, very reasonable choise I would say.

harvon wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:26 pm Using AI makes music better
Only for those who don't have any writing abilities.

VOODOO U wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:08 pm
It might be used as a vehicle for inspiring ideas and expanding horizons.
Ideas that might have never been.......

The Noodlist wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:18 pm
Psilocybin is better for that.

VOODOO U wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:21 pm
The Noodlist wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:18 pm
Psilocybin is better for that.
Not everyone's cup of (shroom) tea.......

harvon wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:26 pm Using AI and other tools makes music better and easier to create, very reasonable choise I would say.
Better? If AI can give me commercial success so I can retire, bring it on. On the other hand, if it can do that for me it can do that for anyone, so I'll let that daydream go. So we're back to making music for fun, as a personal challenge etc., and the end result reflects me and my abilities as a musician, not me as a operator/manipulator of AI tools.

Easier? Sure, easy is an option. It's also pretty easy to buy a sample pack and assemble a very professional sounding track out of that. But if my personal input is going to be near zero, I figure I might as well just not bother and simply listen to artists I like. I just don't see the point of passing off something like that as my own. It might be different if for some reason I needed to come up with something professional sounding on short notice, or huge amounts of music, but that's not my case. Some of the biggest names in the industry rely on ready made backing tracks from external producers, and I can easily see AI grabbing a lot of that kind of business. I don't worry about that, I'm not in the business.

So I guess I see your point, but it's irrelevant for me, and I'd say it's not really in the spirit of this "contest" either.

Had a brainwave for a track this month - RATT - Round and Round
Over 4 minutes long, I wonder if it could be condensed?

Return to “Music Cafe”