The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

SebAV wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:00 am
Vortifex wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:14 am
kylie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:18 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:42 pm So the legend is discontinued ?
There are some things that could lead to this conclusion, yes. While The Legend is still available via an already posted link it disappeared from the list of plugins at their website. Additionally, TLHZ reports its version as 2.000 while TL latest is 1.50. Still I'd wait for Richard to confirm.
I had assumed the HZ version would be a complementary special edition rather than a version 2. At this point The Legend is more of an analog supersynth than a Minimoog emulation, which I suppose explains the price almost doubling.
It seems there’s no way to buy The Legend anymore (except as a RE for Reason). Too bad if you want a « simple » Minimoog or can’t afford the (legitimate) higher price. Model 72 would be the one to pick then.
Oh that sucks..

sQeetz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:27 am yep... bought it in an instance. Soooo phat!!! :) Some nice presets, too....
Upgraded from Legend

Maybe stupid question:
Wouldn't one be able to achieve the same results from 2 Legends in a container and using modulation in Bitwig?
You could get quite far that way. However, you would still mis the osc's (3 and 6) as modulation source, the filterbank, phaser, chorus, sequencer, mod matrix with per voice mods, the msegs, full mpe support, 12 voices per instance..quite a lot really

exmatproton wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 amYou could get quite far that way. However, you would still mis the osc's (3 and 6) as modulation source, the filterbank, phaser, chorus, sequencer, mod matrix with per voice mods, the msegs, full mpe support, 12 voices per instance..quite a lot really
That's true.
It's so bite-y... should have called it Jaws
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:10 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:32 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:41 amAlso does it have alternate filter types besides an " accurate transistor ladder"? 2 pole low pass, Bandpass, highpass, less "analog" flavored filters pulled from Dune? Seems like a fun addition.
12 and 24 db low and band pass modes.
Furthermore is the filterbank per voice or part of an effect chain? If it is per voice can it be tuned as a whole?
Part of the effect chain, sadly.
Thanks for the info, Zerocrossing. I've never played with any of the synapse stuff, but this seems just odd enough to be fun. I'm guessing from reading around the thread that the mod matrix runs at a lower rate than the audio engine. It would be real cool if it ran at full audio rate.

Is the CPU use crazy compared to other modern synths?
Considering how great the analog emulation is, I’d say it’s very reasonable on the CPU. I agree, it would be nice to have the same high-quality modulation setting that Dune has, but as it is, it’s still great. You should check out Dune. The oscillators are not analog emulations, far from it, but they have some really good emulations of classic filters.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

exmatproton wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 am
sQeetz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:27 am yep... bought it in an instance. Soooo phat!!! :) Some nice presets, too....
Upgraded from Legend

Maybe stupid question:
Wouldn't one be able to achieve the same results from 2 Legends in a container and using modulation in Bitwig?
You could get quite far that way. However, you would still mis the osc's (3 and 6) as modulation source, the filterbank, phaser, chorus, sequencer, mod matrix with per voice mods, the msegs, full mpe support, 12 voices per instance..quite a lot really
You'd also be missing the compressor, the updated reverb (which also has added modulation), the tape delay...

Though in Bitwig I think you actually can set up the oscillators as a modulation source (or am I misremembering?).
Last edited by Ou_Tis on Thu May 09, 2024 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:12 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:10 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:32 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:41 amAlso does it have alternate filter types besides an " accurate transistor ladder"? 2 pole low pass, Bandpass, highpass, less "analog" flavored filters pulled from Dune? Seems like a fun addition.
12 and 24 db low and band pass modes.
Furthermore is the filterbank per voice or part of an effect chain? If it is per voice can it be tuned as a whole?
Part of the effect chain, sadly.
Thanks for the info, Zerocrossing. I've never played with any of the synapse stuff, but this seems just odd enough to be fun. I'm guessing from reading around the thread that the mod matrix runs at a lower rate than the audio engine. It would be real cool if it ran at full audio rate.

Is the CPU use crazy compared to other modern synths?
Considering how great the analog emulation is, I’d say it’s very reasonable on the CPU. I agree, it would be nice to have the same high-quality modulation setting that Dune has, but as it is, it’s still great. You should check out Dune. The oscillators are not analog emulations, far from it, but they have some really good emulations of classic filters.
Id say its quite low CPU. The Legend was for the quality reasonably "low" on my 4th gen Intel, now on Ryzen 9 7950X this synth id say on a lower side. 64 Instances playing 4 note chord with all 6 oscillators and reaching around 64-70 percent. Thats 1536 oscillators playing.

Upgraded from Legend

Maybe stupid question:
You would have 2 times 3 oscillators going to 2 filters, it isn't the same.
Plus as legend is not CLAP, your MSEG would not be polyphonic.

So no, not the same at all
Last edited by Jac459 on Fri May 10, 2024 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

I compared this to my hardware polyphonic Minimoog with 4 MSEGs, 6 oscillators/2 LFO's, and an ARP/Seq with modulation lane, presets and FX, including the fixed filter bank, and this emulation wasn't even close. :P

Oddly though, the CPU usage was much better on the software.

Ou_Tis wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:18 pm
exmatproton wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 am
Upgraded from Legend

Maybe stupid question:
You'd also be missing the compressor, the updated reverb (which also has added modulation), the tape delay...

Though in Bitwig I think you actually can set up the oscillators as a modulation source (or am I misremembering?).
Almost, any modulator can be audio-rate.

But that doesn't mean that legend would react well to it and it would probably not.

SebAV wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:00 am
Vortifex wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:14 am
kylie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:18 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:42 pm So the legend is discontinued ?
There are some things that could lead to this conclusion, yes. While The Legend is still available via an already posted link it disappeared from the list of plugins at their website. Additionally, TLHZ reports its version as 2.000 while TL latest is 1.50. Still I'd wait for Richard to confirm.
I had assumed the HZ version would be a complementary special edition rather than a version 2. At this point The Legend is more of an analog supersynth than a Minimoog emulation, which I suppose explains the price almost doubling.
It seems there’s no way to buy The Legend anymore (except as a RE for Reason). Too bad if you want a « simple » Minimoog or can’t afford the (legitimate) higher price. Model 72 would be the one to pick then.
If you buy the Re version, SA will normally give you the vst version free... if not, it's still in some places

https://sound7.co.uk/products/synapse-a ... emkul45S-M

What is meant by full mpe in the improvements? What is added since the old legend?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:26 pm I compared this to my hardware polyphonic Minimoog with 4 MSEGs, 6 oscillators/2 LFO's, and an ARP/Seq with modulation lane, presets and FX, including the fixed filter bank, and this emulation wasn't even close. :P

Oddly though, the CPU usage was much better on the software.
I dont understand, what Polyphonic Minimoog hardware are you talking about? or is it just a bad joke? :)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:43 pm What is meant by full mpe in the improvements? What is added since the old legend?
AFAIK in the original plugin one didn't have dedicated control over some parameters. In the HZ version uou can change the pressure graphs (dunno how to call it, don't use mpe) for velocity, timbre and aftertouch

Lbdunequest wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:12 pm I dont understand, what Polyphonic Minimoog hardware are you talking about? or is it just a bad joke? :)
Maybe it's a *good* joke..? ;)

It is.

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”