Reason 13 Announced- Sequencer updated!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post

I do wonder why they don’t include a version where each of the instruments, effects, even players, are not just plugin wrapped so they can be used as standalone (a bit like they did with Europa maybe?). I get the rack is there, sure, and you can technically do that easily that way, but I can just feel that were Reason also a massive plugin collection of some classics and also some modern greats, it might sell much more. I suppose it’s a support thing and going against the idea of Reason, but I thought if Grain, Objekt, even Ripley were standalone plugs, they’d be used much more widely.

Ironically, I am happy doing it with Soundtoys’ Effects Rack instead of buying them separately.

Post

I might be one of the few ones here that actually is looking forward to this update. I always produced in FL Studio and might call myself a power user in that DAW I guess. But have tried out and purchased Reason 12 past year because I found myself more focussing on creativity with the rack view. Using reason I also felt a clear distinction between producing and mixing - Creativity & productivity - if you will; something I feel a lit less in FL studio. True that the Rack can also be used in another DAW, but inside reason it still feels like a proper all-in-one tool (not least due to the ability to also use VST's in the rack).

One thing I did find lacking though is exactly the sequencer and midi/note editing in particular. So seeing the improvements there, with all quick actions just to the side is really what I needed here. The sequencers might not be as feature rich as other DAW's, but I value the simplicity here.

Perhaps one thing I'd very much would like (And have not yet seen) is scale/note highlighting or disabling. You can more or less achieve the same by using the Scales & Chords utility, but that would direct your attention to another screen again.

Post

Oh and another thing: Please let me navigate through the rack by clicking and dragging using the middle mouse button.... :)

Post

I’m looking forward to the update too. I hope I make it into the beta this time heheh

Post

If any of the Reason haters is interested I’m selling my Cubase Pro license, hmu! :D

Post

I'm looking forward to the update as well. I have a subscription running so I won't pay anything extra for it though. I don't think I'd pay the usual update fee for it. I think it's weird that when they finally do update the sequencer they don't add any of the most requested features. Folders, alias clips, scale snapping etc. It's mostly a (welcomed) GUI lift/restructuring. The new zooming is great though. Hope they've fixed the vertical zooming as well.

By the way, from the Sonicstate video it looks like the rack/sequencer is still split horizontally. So with the added sequencer edit pane it will be even more navigating using the F-keys, or editing through a tiny letterbox. Why can't there be a vertically split docking option (hoping there is) ?

Post

Some nice close-ups of the new stuff here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEzk5cqcDk0

Post

at the end of the video, mathias mentions that the upgrade price is on the website. if so, it is well hidden, or i am blind. anyone actually find it there?

Post

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:06 am Hmm Eurpoe it supposd to use algoritms for it's oscillators but this is only haf the truth .
After it's done calcaulting the shape , it's dsp waveform is stored in a sample buffer.
You can easiy find this out .
Set osc to fm feedback ( it's actually phase modulation ) now increase it untill it collapses into noise ( just like the dx7 ),don't modulate the shape knob any further

If you now play some low octaves , you have pitched noise , just like it's a sample .
Weird
yes, weird. In my case, the fm fb is ok except when I stop turning the shape knob the "noise sound" disappears into a steady "metallic" one.
No pb with "fm fb noise" which is supposed to be a relative according to the manual.

Last update (12.7.4) fixes a bug in Europa so perhaps, another bug had come !

Post

Strange isn't it -it's been awhile since the last version I think ? In their favour, they've updated quite a lot for free since the last one - on the other hand they haven't quite gone far enough with the upcoming one

Post

For me it is a meager upgrade, the browser and the sequencer, that's it. I don't need anymore noise machines and effects, I got alot already. If the price for the upgrade is not "reasonable" I will stay with 12.
artie fichelle sounds natural

Post

hotmitts wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:46 am Strange isn't it -it's been awhile since the last version I think ? In their favour, they've updated quite a lot for free since the last one - on the other hand they haven't quite gone far enough with the upcoming one
This seems to be the game plan for most companies that provide a subscription model along side the perpetual upgrades. They give the bare minimum, as to keep the subscriber always begging for more, and willing to continue their rental payments, because the bug fixes and changes they want might be around the corner. And maybe if they're lucky, some user requests are finally fulfilled.

This is the same with the perpetual upgrades, they string you along for the ride, as most people are loyal to their product, and are unwilling to take the loss in investment, both time and money.

If they were to drop a massive upgrade that tackled most of the major issues and delivered a fully featured DAW, people would sit on that version forever. They are in the business of making money at any cost, year after year, while showing increased profits for their shareholders.

Maybe one day the DAW of your dreams will emerge from the countless half baked mediocre updates. But, I doubt it, because they would go out of business.

Post

spacepluk wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:58 am Some nice close-ups of the new stuff here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEzk5cqcDk0
Man that pop-up preset browser really bothers me... I really liked when they moved the presets to the sidebar back then (R8), seeing this return back to in middle of screen blocking the view of devices is such a weird feeling :?

Post

softska wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:27 pm
spacepluk wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:58 am Some nice close-ups of the new stuff here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEzk5cqcDk0
Man that pop-up preset browser really bothers me... I really liked when they moved the presets to the sidebar back then (R8), seeing this return back to in middle of screen blocking the view of devices is such a weird feeling :?
Hope that's optional, I hate popup browsers, as you say they just get in the way

Post

SebAV wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:53 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:06 am Hmm Eurpoe it supposd to use algoritms for it's oscillators but this is only haf the truth .
After it's done calcaulting the shape , it's dsp waveform is stored in a sample buffer.
You can easiy find this out .
Set osc to fm feedback ( it's actually phase modulation ) now increase it untill it collapses into noise ( just like the dx7 ),don't modulate the shape knob any further

If you now play some low octaves , you have pitched noise , just like it's a sample .
Weird
yes, weird. In my case, the fm fb is ok except when I stop turning the shape knob the "noise sound" disappears into a steady "metallic" one.
No pb with "fm fb noise" which is supposed to be a relative according to the manual.

Last update (12.7.4) fixes a bug in Europa so perhaps, another bug had come !
Try feedback FM , it doesn't matter if you release the mouse , it should become static after App. 1 second ( which is what I think is the time for the audio buffer to fill )
I am 100% sure it's a sample .
In zebra 2 you can also do feedback fm , when dialing in to get a saw wave you get these inter sample peaks because it's not oversampled .
This doesn't really matter becasue it's far outside the hearing range ( shown i screenshot ) .
BUt if I record this as an audio file , these small peaks are actually becoming a frequency when played back at low octaves and that is exacty what happens with Europa
Image
In europa set algoritm to feedback fm and shape to 26,6%
Now play a Low note , you will hear the low saw wave + the frequency of the peaks which could only occur if it's sample based .
Image
I asked pelle the devloper of an explanation but I don't think I will get any , props are tight lipped .I can't believe nobody ever noticed this.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”