The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

Post

cytospur wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:20 am ...
Arturia Modular V? It has nine oscillators. It would be interesting if someone with more time on their hands than I do (and skill) could compare The Legend HZ with the Modular V.
Wooo... Indeed our winner... Nice find...

Also interrested if somebody could compare.

Post

Jac459 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:01 am
seafire wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:02 am
carrieres wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:12 am
Nicolau wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:34 pm This must be the first subtractive synth with 6 oscillators I know. Isn't that a bit overkill?
When I use oscillator 3 as an LFO, the Semi knob seems to set the frequency. How do I know the Hz value?
z3ta+ from rgc:Audio has 6 oscillators since 2002
Eight!

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/oktagon_by_kriminal
Phase Plant, 11. But again, the quesiton was on emulation of analog hardware.
As you quoted the question was : Isn't that a bit overkill?
I answered because Nicolau did not know or remember about old VA and not only emulation of analog hardware.
BTW, LegendHZ is not an emulation of analog hardware.
but please let's not derail the thread more :hug:
Image

Post

BONES wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:02 pm Arturia's stuff just isn't in the same league as the best emulations. It's the perfect example of quantity over quality.
And yet, sometimes Arturia's stuff does surprisingly well when people do blind tests

https://youtu.be/64x8W8uq0pk?si=8BMLgDPRZOWHAJiy

Be interesting to see how these different Minimoog VSTs hold up against each other with carefully dialed in patches in blind tests.

Post

The thing with these blind tests is that you perceive them differently as a listener than a user.
Someone may go thru 5 Steinways Pianos to choose one for their concert, but pretty much the listener couldn't tell one from the other, but the player can, they feel, interact differently.
Same thing with a guitarist... You can try 10 different Les Pauls at the store before choosing one that just feels and sounds and inspires the right way, and a listener probably couldn't tell the difference in a blind test between them.

For sure I tried several times to like the Arturia Oberheim... even when they were offering $149 to upgrade to all their V9 stuff I passed...
I even prefer Synapse's Obsession to it by a lot and i dont' much like the Synapse Obsession.

An instrument that appeals to me, inspires me and makes me play differently.

rsp
sound sculptist

Post

zvenx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:15 am The thing with these blind tests is that you perceive them differently as a listener than a user.
I agree. There are differences in how UIs of different emulations affect performance.

But the other discussion was about sound quality in comparing patches. Which is a listening perception.

And your point about the UI further highlights the need for blind tests when comparing sound quality. If it is important to know how listeners will perceive the sound quality. Because the user experience with the interface can easily bias perception of sound quality differences for the musician using the instrument.

Post

I said something about the UI? Maybe I am losing my memory too.
I assume you mean User Experience, which I did mention (in a different way).

But yeah sound quality is in large part a listening perception (I say in a large part because not everyone will agree which sounds better, we all come with our own biases)...
In the test above I only got one wrong, yes I did it blind too... (I got the Low strings wrong).

rsp
sound sculptist

Post

zvenx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:42 am I said something about the UI? Maybe I am losing my memory too.
I assume you mean User Experience, which I did mention (in a different way).

But yeah sound quality is in large part a listening perception (I say in a large part because not everyone will agree which sounds better, we all come with our own biases)...
In the test above I only got one wrong, yes I did it blind too... (I got the Low strings wrong).

rsp
I’m reminded of the first blind test between Diva and one of the Oberheims. Not sure which one. I could easily hear the difference in each example, but I usually picked Diva over the hardware. Hard to pin it down to a specific reason, as I believe the it would be impossible to be perfectly fair when making the examples when it’s a commercial for a preset pack that you’re selling.

There’s also some guy on YouTube showing off how much his 3rd Wave, a synth that I love and own, sounds like his Prophet 6. I also own a Prophet 6, and I can assure you that it is very easy to find sounds that the 3rd Wave can’t even approximate, and vise versa.

The moral of my story is, that if a specific sound is crucial to your music, then you should definitely have that instrument. However, not everyone is the same. Some people are in love with the Model D, some the Access Virus. For others, it might be OG Massive, and maybe even some might only have love for The Legend HZ.

I love Asian food. All of it… except kimchi. I hate it. It’s weird, because I love pretty much all other Korean food. I have no explanation for why. I love sauerkraut and all sorts of pickled vegetables from all over. I’m probably the least picky eater out there, but I’ll almost always pass on the kimchi. My point is, no one knows why or how a preference is made. It’s best not to think too much about it and just get on with your life.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Post

carrieres wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:32 am ...
BTW, LegendHZ is not an emulation of analog hardware.
but please let's not derail the thread more :hug:
Well we are talking about LegendHZ and other VAs, I think we are good.

"LegendHZ is not an emulation of analog hardware". How so ?

Then let me reiterate my question:
As LegendHZ sound surprisingly good with adding multiple oscillators modelled on analog imperfection of the past, I would be interested to know if there are other synths, modelling old hardware having also a large (>3) number of oscillators.

Thanks.

Post

Jac459 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:37 am
carrieres wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:32 am ...
BTW, LegendHZ is not an emulation of analog hardware.
but please let's not derail the thread more :hug:
Well we are talking about LegendHZ and other VAs, I think we are good.

"LegendHZ is not an emulation of analog hardware". How so ?

Then let me reiterate my question:
As LegendHZ sound surprisingly good with adding multiple oscillators modelled on analog imperfection of the past, I would be interested to know if there are other synths, modelling old hardware having also a large (>3) number of oscillators.

Thanks.
LegengHZ has MSEG it Is not a strictly emulation of an existing hardware Synth.
Korg MonoPoly with 4 osc.
Image

Post

carrieres wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:56 am
Jac459 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:37 am
carrieres wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:32 am ...
BTW, LegendHZ is not an emulation of analog hardware.
but please let's not derail the thread more :hug:
Well we are talking about LegendHZ and other VAs, I think we are good.

"LegendHZ is not an emulation of analog hardware". How so ?

Then let me reiterate my question:
As LegendHZ sound surprisingly good with adding multiple oscillators modelled on analog imperfection of the past, I would be interested to know if there are other synths, modelling old hardware having also a large (>3) number of oscillators.

Thanks.
LegengHZ has MSEG it Is not a strictly emulation of an existing hardware Synth.
Ok lol..
Korg MonoPoly with 4 osc.
Yup indeed that is a good one. Meaning LegendHZ remains king.

Post

carrieres wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:56 am
Jac459 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:37 am
carrieres wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:32 am ...
BTW, LegendHZ is not an emulation of analog hardware.
but please let's not derail the thread more :hug:
Well we are talking about LegendHZ and other VAs, I think we are good.

"LegendHZ is not an emulation of analog hardware". How so ?

Then let me reiterate my question:
As LegendHZ sound surprisingly good with adding multiple oscillators modelled on analog imperfection of the past, I would be interested to know if there are other synths, modelling old hardware having also a large (>3) number of oscillators.

Thanks.
LegengHZ has MSEG it Is not a strictly emulation of an existing hardware Synth.
Korg MonoPoly with 4 osc.
It is a Expanded Minimoog Emulation.

Post

this one goes to 11.

Post

seafire wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:02 am
carrieres wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:12 am
Nicolau wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:34 pm This must be the first subtractive synth with 6 oscillators I know. Isn't that a bit overkill?
When I use oscillator 3 as an LFO, the Semi knob seems to set the frequency. How do I know the Hz value?
z3ta+ from rgc:Audio has 6 oscillators since 2002
Eight!

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/oktagon_by_kriminal
That dev certainly knew his onions.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Post

There seem to be very few factory presets (of the demo) that use more than 4 audible oscillators, plus occasionally one LFO.
Beyond a certain number of waves, say 3 or 4, the sound doesn't get better, just louder in my view.
I guess one could make Legend HZ sounds in Hive, Sylenth1 etc. just the same.

Post

zvenx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:42 am I said something about the UI? Maybe I am losing my memory too.
I assume you mean User Experience, which I did mention (in a different way).
Your previous comment stated,
The thing with these blind tests is that you perceive them differently as a listener than a user.
Someone may go thru 5 Steinways Pianos to choose one for their concert, but pretty much the listener couldn't tell one from the other, but the player can, they feel, interact differently.
So if it's not the UI that's the difference between a blind test and what you hear performing with the synth, then what is it? I don't know of anything else.

Return to “Instruments”