Luna on Windows (open beta) released.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Didn't see a thread about this anywhere on KVR. Open beta.

https://www.uaudio.com/luna.html

Free DAW.

note: the free version comes with a tape machine extension, and also a general-purpose virtual instrument of some sort. I haven't tried the latter, but the tape machine is real nice.

Luna looks very interesting but I really wish they would drop the iLok requirement for the "free DAW" I mean come on now.

It's the same crap with Pro Tools Intro.

It blows my mind that these two companies offer a free version for beginners only to introduce said beginners to the world of shit that is Ilok. For free software? Really???

As I understand it LUNA and Pro Tools are very very similar, and I'm always looking for something straight forward like these two programs to suggest to podcasters/garage bands/bedroom rappers etc that are always asking me "what should I get?" I'd love to have a solid "free DAW" answer for them before suggesting something like a 200-1000 dollar piece of software I have no idea they'll actually use or get along with the self-recording/editing processes in the first place.
"music is the best"

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:17 pm It blows my mind that these two companies offer a free version for beginners......
To be fair, Luna doesn't have a "beginner" version. It's the full Luna, for free.

What you can pay for in Luna are embedded UAD plugins, so that the interface GUI is like an analog console.

Still looks pretty cool without using that feature.

I haven't dug too deep into Luna yet.

A company such as Avid or UA that is offering you a version for free, most likely is trying to get you as a customer to buy additional stuff or an upgrade to a paid version..
If that upgrade or additional stuff uses ilok, and someone is totally against using ilok, it is most likely they won't ever upgrade or buy additional stuff, does defeating the company's purpose of giving that person a free version.

But apparently people are owed free versions.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:49 pm A company such as Avid or UA that is offering you a version for free, most likely is trying to get you as a customer to buy additional stuff or an upgrade to a paid version..
If that upgrade or additional stuff uses ilok, and someone is totally against using ilok, it is most likely they won't ever upgrade or buy additional stuff, does defeating the company's purpose of giving that person a free version.

But apparently people are owed free versions.

rsp
Nobody is owed jack shit, but if you're going to offer something for free, please get the ilok out of the damn picture because that shit is kryptonite.

How to get a professional not to solicit your free product to new users: iLok.
"music is the best"

zvenx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:49 pm A company such as Avid or UA that is offering you a version for free, most likely is trying to get you as a customer to buy additional stuff or an upgrade to a paid version..
Just depends on if a person likes it after trying it. I personally liked Reaper and bought it. My main DAW for over a decade now. Did not/do not like protools at all (and found the install process to be a serious mess). Hard pass on subscribing to protools.

No clue why Luna is getting protools comparisons in this thread, as it's more similar to Harrison Mixbus or Reason, in it's mixing layout. Easier to use than either of those, though.

In case it's not clear, it works with VSTs like any other DAW. You don't have to buy UAD's plugins to use it.

Personally I like some of UAD's plugins, so it's kinda of cool that they can integrate into a mixing desk layout in Luna, instead of opening a plugin window. It's a trend I'd like to see in other DAW's, at least as an option. Like, Reaper could form a partnership with a few plugins companies to make embedded channel strip versions (Reaper exclusive) of some choice plugins. Doubt it'll happen, but analog-style workflow is more productive for me, so Luna has potential.
Last edited by KVRforumRulez on Thu May 23, 2024 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRforumRulez wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:10 pm No clue why Luna is getting protools comparisons in this thread, as it's more similar to Harrison Mixbus or Reason, in it's recording and mixing layout.
Oh that was me. I've read a few times that the developers of Luna are former Pro Tools devs and the basics/straight forwardness of how Pro Tools operates is basically all there even down to having the same shortcuts.

It sounds like a solid program to recommend to a certain demographic from just knowing something like that. Being free sounds even better. Being more capable than Pro Tools Intro even better better. iLok tho? WOT? haha

I mean, I don't plan on using it personally because I'm set in my ways using Pro Tools/Bitwig. But I am interested in Luna popping up as a contender to recommend to people for sure seeing the simple things I've seen of it thus far and being free is surely a perc.
Last edited by Funk Dracula on Tue May 21, 2024 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"music is the best"

What would UA gain by giving you this free when you believe ilok is kryptonite... all their paid plugins are either ilok or require their dsp devices.

What is in it for them for giving it for your use free?
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:17 pm What would UA gain by giving you this free when you believe ilok is kryptonite... all their paid plugins are either ilok or require their dsp devices.

rsp
To sell their plug-ins. They can, you know, give the DAW away like they are, and if you want to unlock the stuff the DAW has to unlock, then you can buy their hardware and an ilok to get into that system.

Listen, I'm not going to talk in circles about this let's just agree to disagree haha.

They DON'T have to give away a free version of this, but if they are, ditching the ilok on the first "free stage" will go such a loooonng way for them.
"music is the best"

This DAW couldn't have come out at a better time. Giving people an option to jump off the train of mediocre upgrades that favor subscriptions. If it performs equal to or better than the current DAWs when it comes to CPU and latency, this just might be a giant killer. The Pro upgrade for all those plug-ins seems like a fair offer too, which of course isn't required to receive all the future bug fixes and features for free. I'm not sure how long this model will last, but it's worth checking out, because it's hard to beat free. Behringer's DAW might also help shape the future landscape, giving better options to all these subscription favored DAWs.

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:22 pm
zvenx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:17 pm What would UA gain by giving you this free when you believe ilok is kryptonite... all their paid plugins are either ilok or require their dsp devices.

rsp
To sell their plug-ins. They can, you know, give the DAW away like they are, and if you want to unlock the stuff the DAW has to unlock, then you can buy their hardware and an ilok to get into that system.

Listen, I'm not going to talk in circles about this let's just agree to disagree haha.

They DON'T have to give away a free version of this, but if they are, ditching the ilok on the first "free stage" will go such a loooonng way for them.
You don’t need to buy an iLok. I use the free software version and never had issues.

It’s not the big deal some people claim it is.

For UAD it would make exactly zero sense since everything else they do is iLok.

Their goal is to use Luna as the free first step on a value ladder and then get you to buy at least the $200 package for it.

eerie_audio wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:31 pm This DAW couldn't have come out at a better time. Giving people an option to jump off the train of mediocre upgrades that favor subscriptions. If it performs equal to or better than the current DAWs when it comes to CPU and latency, this just might be a giant killer. The Pro upgrade for all those plug-ins seems like a fair offer too, which of course isn't required to receive all the future bug fixes and features for free. I'm not sure how long this model will last, but it's worth checking out, because it's hard to beat free. Behringer's DAW might also help shape the future landscape, giving better options to all these subscription favored DAWs.
Most DAWs allow a straight purchase - who doesn’t now? Yes some also have a subscription version but typically those same companies allow a normal one-time purchase as well.

It's impressive looking, although I had to go online to figure out how to open the piano roll.

I'm happy with Reaper but will tinker with this on the side.

LUNA supports iLok machine authorization.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I am downloading this ... gave up waiting for it once it became clear that UAD had no intention of a Windows release early on.
Hoping that Mac users will have done some heavy lifting on the early beta issues and that this will be at least moderately polished? Looking forward to seeing how it integrates with my Apollo X Thunderbolt interface compared to ASIO in Live, Bitwig, etc.

FWIW ... iLok may deserve the vitriol some pour on it historically ... but it is something I have used without any significant problems in the last 5-10 years ... and in fact it was really useful when reinstalling a lot of stuff after a major PC rebuild ...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”