DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Post

3ptguitarist wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:30 pm Is there a way to restart LFOs on each note or chord?
IIRC the Poly setting for the LFOs can start the phase at zero with each note.

Post

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:39 am The whole concept of parameter lock is what I call "poke and hope" sound design. You load one patch, lock the filter for example, load another patch and you just hope something useful will result. Same with locking the Arp Patterns. You load a patch that is designed around that pattern, lock it, then load another patch just counting on luck to produce something that sounds good.

I think time would be better spent learning how to actually program the synth so you don't have to rely on luck.

But you could always make a feature request at the Synapse forum for Arp Lock to also lock the pattern as well.
I get your point but not everyone is interested in programming their own patches from scratch. And even then it could be a handy feature to mix and match sounds with arp patterns. I think locking a bass seq then switching through bass or lead patches can give decent results, for example.

Thanks for suggesting the synapse forums. I've checked it and there already is a thread about the feature :phones:

Post

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:39 am The whole concept of parameter lock is what I call "poke and hope" sound design. You load one patch, lock the filter for example, load another patch and you just hope something useful will result. Same with locking the Arp Patterns. You load a patch that is designed around that pattern, lock it, then load another patch just counting on luck to produce something that sounds good.

I think time would be better spent learning how to actually program the synth so you don't have to rely on luck.

But you could always make a feature request at the Synapse forum for Arp Lock to also lock the pattern as well.
Have you heard of happy accident?

Plus, if you choose your sounds to mix, it is not pure luck isn't it? And you can also fine tune after.

Basically I strongly disagree with your point as it suggest that any sound design can not be exploratory and is only valid if deterministic.

It can be true when doing a kick, a super saw or an acid bass, but not when trying new more complex sounds.

Are you able to predict the sound you will get when trying to throw a spoken voice into a spectral filter and adding FM and RM? Me neither 😁.

Post

Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pm Have you heard of happy accident?
I've heard of learning your craft instead of relying on "accidents".
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pmPlus, if you choose your sounds to mix, it is not pure luck isn't it?
Not if you know what you're doing and that comes from time on task and effort.
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pmBasically I strongly disagree with your point
I could not possibly care less. I wasn't addressing you in the first place.
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pmAre you able to predict the sound you will get when trying to throw a spoken voice into a spectral filter and adding FM and RM? Me neither 😁.
We're talking about programming a synth, specifically DUNE 3 in this case and more specifically parameter lock. Feel free to move the goal posts with any hypothetical scenario you wish but it makes your argument in relation to the subject at hand no better.

Like I said ask Synapse to add the Lock Arp Pattern feature. They seem to be open to adding those kinds of training wheel features these days. Personally I'd rather they spend that time on actually expanding the sound design capabilities and range of sounds of DUNE 3. There are features that could actually make it a more powerful synth for advanced users rather than an easier synth for beginners (like key ranges for the layers, full multi-sample support, etc, etc) but those don't fit the vision that Richard has for the synth so it is what it is... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Post

Teksonik wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:30 pm
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pmBasically I strongly disagree with your point
I could not possibly care less. I wasn't addressing you in the first place.
Well, I wasn't trying to pick a fight, just having a discussion
But nevermind, looking how your post started I haven't even cared to finish reading it lol .. that how I care about keyboard warriors...

Post

Teksonik wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:30 pm
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pm Have you heard of happy accident?
I've heard of learning your craft instead of relying on "accidents".
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pmPlus, if you choose your sounds to mix, it is not pure luck isn't it?
Not if you know what you're doing and that comes from time on task and effort.
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pmBasically I strongly disagree with your point
I could not possibly care less. I wasn't addressing you in the first place.
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pmAre you able to predict the sound you will get when trying to throw a spoken voice into a spectral filter and adding FM and RM? Me neither 😁.
We're talking about programming a synth, specifically DUNE 3 in this case and more specifically parameter lock. Feel free to move the goal posts with any hypothetical scenario you wish but it makes your argument in relation to the subject at hand no better.

Like I said ask Synapse to add the Lock Arp Pattern feature. They seem to be open to adding those kinds of training wheel features these days. Personally I'd rather they spend that time on actually expanding the sound design capabilities and range of sounds of DUNE 3. There are features that could actually make it a more powerful synth for advanced users rather than an easier synth for beginners (like key ranges for the layers, full multi-sample support, etc, etc) but those don't fit the vision that Richard has for the synth so it is what it is... :shrug:
All rubbish, use drum loops, other peoples midi files other peoples presets, other peoples vocals and lyrics and still have a fulfilling life in music production that can touch and reach people, which is the most important thing. Creatively bringing together musical content does not require pure synthesis of any kind, ie composition, sound design, lyrics. It's about bringing together a good song in a unique way and there is a rich and diverse world of content to choose from. Just touch them with eternal things and your gold, especially if using lyrics, else its vanity. My take on it.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Post

Lots of companies make great paints. Some of them even produce specially mixed paints for customers on demand.

I enjoy using them and combining them to produce my paintings.

(I know some folks prefer car analogies but I think they’re rubbish. YMMV.)
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Post

Touch The Universe wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:24 pm ... its vanity...
100%

Post

revvy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:20 pm Lots of companies make great paints. Some of them even produce specially mixed paints for customers on demand.

I enjoy using them and combining them to produce my paintings.

(I know some folks prefer car analogies but I think they’re rubbish. YMMV.)
Disagree. Cat analogies are the best.

Post

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:39 am The whole concept of parameter lock is what I call "poke and hope" sound design. You load one patch, lock the filter for example, load another patch and you just hope something useful will result. Same with locking the Arp Patterns. You load a patch that is designed around that pattern, lock it, then load another patch just counting on luck to produce something that sounds good.

I think time would be better spent learning how to actually program the synth so you don't have to rely on luck.

But you could always make a feature request at the Synapse forum for Arp Lock to also lock the pattern as well.
I mostly stick to the same opinion about parameter randomization.
Not much of use for me from a painting splashed by a porcupine's tail. I'd rather have a detailed paining of menacing sea, rocks and storm. No way a porcupine can do that. AI is close, but multiple prompts can only approximate what a person can do.
Having said that, I think that pattern is a kind of a score, which can be used with different timbers, and is semantically detached from other synth params. Thus I support pattern locking.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Post

revvy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:20 pm (I know some folks prefer car analogies but I think they’re rubbish. YMMV.)
+1 :tu:

Post

Dencheg wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:22 am Having said that, I think that pattern is a kind of a score, which can be used with different timbers, and is semantically detached from other synth params. Thus I support pattern locking.
Exactly my thoughts. It would be much more useful than locking parameters like filter cutoff, etc.

In case anyone wants to support the feature request, there you go: https://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtop ... =7&t=14106

edit: there is even an older feature request for this: https://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtop ... =5&t=13257
Last edited by Dr.Gunjah on Thu May 23, 2024 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post

https://musictech.com/news/music/produc ... yperdrama/

I think Google showed me this article because of this discussion lol.

Stone may say that justice are such losers with their Grammy ha ha...

Post

Jac459 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:21 am https://musictech.com/news/music/produc ... yperdrama/

I think Google showed me this article because of this discussion lol.

Stone may say that justice are such losers with their Grammy ha ha...
I think their new album is great.

And yeah, the final track is all that matters, for me.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Post

Jac459 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:02 pm Well, I wasn't trying to pick a fight, just having a discussion
I didn't know we were "fighting". If you care so little about "keyboard warriors" then perhaps don't be one by interjecting yourself into a conversation that had nothing to do with you. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”