Fake VST3 plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

felis wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:14 pm
funky lime wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:33 pm Not sure about VM but you can definitely do this in VCV Rack, with the Host module ($30). Basically any VST plugin becomes a eurorack module, and up to 16 (or 24) exposed parameters can be modulated with CV.
Seems pretty slick. Have you tried it?
Maybe someday, developers will say if their vsti's can handle fast modulation.

And about the vst2/vst3 thing, everything I've got is vst3 now.
impOSCar was the last one I use, of many, to get updated.
FWIW I have both Voltage Modular and VCV rack. If you goal is to have a virtual Eurorack system, VCV rack is the way to go. It has many more esoteric and weird modules available than Voltage Modular does and many of them are modeled after the actual weird and esoteric hardware modules

If your primary goal is to host virtual instruments and effects, Voltage Modular is the better choice because in my experience it uses MUCH less CPU

One other benefit I have found with it is when I upgraded my PC last year I kept my old one. Voltage Modular can run in stand alone mode and when doing so you can have 8 individual outputs to an interface

So I use that to host Omnisphere, HALion7 and other CPU intensive plugins. I send over MIDI and connect the two interfaces via ADAT Optical and just create external instrument style tracks in my DAW. You will introduce a tiny bit of latency but for CPU intensive pads and the layered patches I make it's not an issue

Using it stand alone to host VSTs is also phenomenal to play out live

aMUSEd wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:26 pm I am trying to get rid of VST2s from my system, as much as possible
Any particular reason? I'd just keep using the VST2s unless they are giving you some kind of problem. Personally I never had one with VST2s but have with VST3s, so pass on VST3s unless that's my only option.

I’m on Apple Silicon, VST2 is fast becoming a deprecated format and for several hosts requires Rosetta mode

aMUSEd wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:26 pm OK this applies to fx plugins too but there is no forum category for plugins in general (oddly) unless you count the developer forum.

I am trying to get rid of VST2s from my system, as much as possible, but I keep running into plugins where if you delete the VST2 the VST3 won't work any more. Which suggests the VST3 is nothing more than a wrapper for the VST2. The worst example is I didn't realise all my Rob Papen plugins required the VST2 for the VST3 to function so am just having to reinstall the whole of Explorer 8.

Just so I am forewarned before making this mistake again, what other developers create fake VST3's that need the VST2 to function?
bx_oberhausen is one of them. It won't work right without the VST2 version installed as well.

Tone2's VST3's are still depending on the VST2 files.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Sinisterbr wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:58 pm bx_oberhausen is one of them. It won't work right without the VST2 version installed as well.
What doesn't work right? I've got only the VST3 version installed and not noticed any issues.

starflakeprj wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:01 pm Tone2's VST3's are still depending on the VST2 files.
Oh crap so they are! Just tried deleting the VST2 for Icarus 3 and it caused the standalone to report an error and when I tried to load the VST3 from Komplete Kontrol it caused it to crash. That is not good

kidslow wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:05 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:58 pm bx_oberhausen is one of them. It won't work right without the VST2 version installed as well.
What doesn't work right? I've got only the VST3 version installed and not noticed any issues.
Can't replicate this either, I deleted all PA VST2's some while ago but the VST3's work including for bx Oberhausen and Knifonium

aMUSEd wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:31 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:01 pm Tone2's VST3's are still depending on the VST2 files.
Oh crap so they are! Just tried deleting the VST2 for Icarus 3 and it caused the standalone to report an error and when I tried to load the VST3 from Komplete Kontrol it caused it to crash. That is not good
You usually can see this on the file size. If the VST3 file is way smaller, it's probably because it's just a wrapper using the VST2 file.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

aMUSEd wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:26 pm OK this applies to fx plugins too but there is no forum category for plugins in general (oddly) unless you count the developer forum.

I am trying to get rid of VST2s from my system, as much as possible, but I keep running into plugins where if you delete the VST2 the VST3 won't work any more. Which suggests the VST3 is nothing more than a wrapper for the VST2. The worst example is I didn't realise all my Rob Papen plugins required the VST2 for the VST3 to function so am just having to reinstall the whole of Explorer 8.

Just so I am forewarned before making this mistake again, what other developers create fake VST3's that need the VST2 to function?
I personally haven't come across these sorts of fake VST3 plugins myself, but it is good to know about this anyway. For the last 2 years or so I've been installing plugins that come only in VST3 or both VST2/VST3 but always choosing the VST3. This is because I keep seeing that VST3 is more recommended and VST2 will be later phased out.

To answer the question, I don't know other developers that create fake VST3 requiring the VST2 to function. After I found some developers of which I love their software, I've been trying very hard to keep from finding new or different ones...

Of course, I may still find another developer here and there with another great plugin. :wink: I just think more carefully now about getting another plugin, even if it's free.

In closing, it is good to be in the know about this sort of thing. I find it somewhat fascinating. Something to watch out for. Thanks for starting the topic.
My new dream is to create a video game and its music before I die or before the world ends.
Retrowave | Lo-fi | Video Game Music :wink:

If you read that whole thread I found people were saying Steinberg was VERY slow granting license approval. I don't know how it works, but from what I'm reading you have to request it from them and a lot of devs were exasperated by how long it was taking.

Return to “Instruments”