Favorite Cherry Audio Synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ou_Tis wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:02 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:42 pm
If you read their marketing, you’ll see that Dreamsynth isn’t focused on emulating any analog except for the divide-down string synth section, or the filters. It’s more focused on the early Ensoniq hybrids.

I probably would have never paid full price for it. I have plenty of good vintage hybrid emulations and some good hardware as well, but for $20, it seemed like a fun way to spend an afternoon. I haven’t spent any time with MPE yet, but I’ll check it out later and report back. I’m having trouble getting my 3rd Wave and Nina to properly pitch track my Rise and Linnstrument… not sure what I’m doing wrong.
Ah, I see... I mistook "Prophet VS" in the description for Prophet-5 series lol. Still, I'd prefer it with more/better saturation.
So add a saturator
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

IvyBirds wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:47 am
digitalboytn wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:19 am
IvyBirds wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:26 am
For even more fun run two instances of FM8 one 5-10 cents sharp and the other 5-10 cents flat run one of them into one preamp and the other into a different preamp. Pan one hard left and the other hard right. You will get crazy wide stereo spread that super phat
You don't get too much for a nickel or a dime these days...

So I think that you have to at least put in quarter :wink:
Actually 25 cents would be a difference of 50 cents or half a semintone and wouldn't sound very good

But maybe you don't understand what a cent means in music theory

Hint it's a unit of measure between two semitones which in case you don't know refers to notes on the keyboard. There are 100 such units if measure which is why they are called cents. Cent in English being from French cent, Italian cento, or Latin centum meaning "hundred"

FM8 is based on the DX7. Yamaha has a rack unit called the TX816 which stacked up to 8 separately DX7 modules together in one rack. This would mimic stacking 2 of them as recommended by Yamaha in the user manual
I was just jivin'....

I know was cents are in relation to tuning and I did own a TX816 back in the day :tu:
No auto tune...

For even more fun run two instances of FM8 one 5-10 cents sharp and the other 5-10 cents flat run one of them into one preamp and the other into a different preamp. Pan one hard left and the other hard right. You will get crazy wide stereo spread that super phat

Actually 25 cents would be a difference of 50 cents or half a semintone and wouldn't sound very good

Hint it's a unit of measure between two semitones which in case you don't know refers to notes on the keyboard. There are 100 such units if measure which is why they are called cents. Cent in English being from French cent, Italian cento, or Latin centum meaning "hundred"

FM8 is based on the DX7. Yamaha has a rack unit called the TX816 which stacked up to 8 separately DX7 modules together in one rack. This would mimic stacking 2 of them as recommended by Yamaha in the user manual
I think it might be you who doesn’t understand what a “cent” is to a yank. Either that or you are REAL fun at parties.

Yeah I'm pretty sure digitalboytn was joking.

vurt wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:21 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:48 pm
El°HYM wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:31 pm I think its really a mixture of internal parts, design choices plus the available components at those times. The output stage certainly also has an impact on the overall sound and mostly the older ones are considered even 'warmer' sounding. There seems to be something magical about those old DX-7 DAC's, or the MPC 60, EPS and SP-1200. This also goes for the Synths of that Era for sure. Our most beloved Emulations of those might also be the ones which take all of those interacting variables into consideration.
I have a theory that what you were hearing in those “magical” synths wasn’t as much their output stages, but was what they were getting plugged into. We drag an icon onto a virtual mixing board and all of the sudden, expect it to sound like the synth that went into an old mixing board, and from there, into a reel to reel and during mix down, back out to the mixer, with a myriad of processing happening to it.
many years ago, i was asked to stand in on a friend's bands tour. i got to hear various reaktor (2008 era) synths, through large concert hall systems, and eff me, they sound very different :o
One of my first experiences with a software instrument was seeing someone perform with a laptop using Absynth. I was in an act that was going up next, so I had a great view of what he was doing, and I was super intrigued by the weird green UI. It sounded amazing though the PA. I didn’t get a chance to ask him about it, but a few months later, NI had a booth at a Macworld where they were demoing it and they couldn’t have taken my money any faster. I wish NI would give it back to Brian Clevinger.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I remember the keyboard manager in the store I worked at doing a demo of the TX816 where he had a full rack of them and then layered them with a Roland… maybe Juno 106? Anyway, it was an incredible sound.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:01 pm I remember the keyboard manager in the store I worked at doing a demo of the TX816 where he had a full rack of them and then layered them with a Roland… maybe Juno 106? Anyway, it was an incredible sound.
When you say "a full rack of them" are you referring to a single fully populated TX816 with eight TF1 modules, or are you referring to a large 19" rack that contains multiple fully populated TX816s?

The first option would be impressive, but that second option would be phenomenal! :love:

For example, I have a large Hammond 19" rack cabinet with dual 35U racks. I could install sixteen TX816 synths and have the equivalent of 128 DX7 synths in one large cabinet! :-o

I just need to find someone to donate the sixteen TX816 synths. :hihi:

I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

McLilith wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:52 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:01 pm I remember the keyboard manager in the store I worked at doing a demo of the TX816 where he had a full rack of them and then layered them with a Roland… maybe Juno 106? Anyway, it was an incredible sound.
When you say "a full rack of them" are you referring to a single fully populated TX816 with eight TF1 modules, or are you referring to a large 19" rack that contains multiple fully populated TX816s?

The first option would be impressive, but that second option would be phenomenal! :love:

For example, I have a large Hammond 19" rack cabinet with dual 35U racks. I could install sixteen TX816 synths and have the equivalent of 128 DX7 synths in one large cabinet! :-o

I just need to find someone to donate the sixteen TX816 synths. :hihi:

It was the early 80s… I really don’t remember, but I suspect it was the first option. Those synths were just like weird black boxes to me, I had no idea what to do with them except find cool presets.
Zerocrossing Media

I have just purchased / installed the Chroma, so far V impressed, never had a hardware version of it, but heard many demo's on youtube, Cherry Audio deliver another gem.

Just got Quadra through Humble Bundle. Nice sounding synth. Like all the CA synths I have. Playing around with matching CA synths with Syntronik synths that sound good together.

Return to “Instruments”