Current Launch v2 - A new instrument platform by Minimal Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone!

Happy to see the new update is going over well -- we've found a couple things and are patching them before we roll it out to 100% of people, if you haven't gotten a notification for an update that's why.

Otherwise yep! what's discussed here is correct, if you see non factory packs as credited, those remain yours and we appreciate your support as an early adopter! : )

This actually marks the finish/starting line for having full support for perpetual & all access license support in parallel, so now it's just good stuff like nice updates and more content on a regular basis!

thanks RSP for reporting back here what's been discussed in the our discord, really appreciate it!

Minimal Audio wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:08 pm Hey everyone!

Happy to see the new update is going over well -- we've found a couple things and are patching them before we roll it out to 100% of people, if you haven't gotten a notification for an update that's why.

Otherwise yep! what's discussed here is correct, if you see non factory packs as credited, those remain yours and we appreciate your support as an early adopter! : )

This actually marks the finish/starting line for having full support for perpetual & all access license support in parallel, so now it's just good stuff like nice updates and more content on a regular basis!

thanks RSP for reporting back here what's been discussed in the our discord, really appreciate it!
Well congratulation, this is really a nice update, placing Current among my top synths.
The new mod matrix and the presets touch are perfect addition.

One question is there a plan to have "audio rate" modulations in the future?

Jac459 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:39 pm One question is there a plan to have "audio rate" modulations in the future?
At the moment current is too large to support audio rate modulation on a global basis on all the machines where it needs to run -- at least by default, but we have a separate option in the global setting where you can set the "engine control rate" which ups the modulation rate inside of only the synth engine and not the effects slots -- I believe this goes down to 8 at the moment which should work up to very high frequencies.

Or you may just be referring to higher parameter ranges on the rate parameters in the modulators?

Congratulations on completing the factory overhaul. Support kindly reset my trial so I'm currently experiencing an infinitely more usable set.

Yep, a definite improvement, nice job! Now, give us some more god damn preset packs! :x :D

Definitely an improvement... but they still suffer from the sub-par reverb. And while I have plenty of great reverbs, choosing one and dialing it in to fit the preset in a way that satisfies my perfectionist tendencies would probably end up being a lot of work---and time I'd rather spend on actually playing the synth.

I'm using this (1.2.1r5) in Reaper and it's really sluggish.
My Reaper project has a decent amount of tracks with some audio and amp sims etc - but it's fine without current.
I'm running a AMD Ryzen 3950x and without Current it's only running at 1-2% (that's over all 16 cores). Reaper has a thing called RT CPU - running at 11-12%. This is called real time CPU - The RT ("Real Time") CPU meter measures the amount of CPU time used by the single audio thread servicing the sound device. It reflects only the CPU time used by one core, and gives you an indication of how much leeway you have in processing.

When I load current (especially when it's "record enabled") the RT CPU goes way up to 60% or so. The overall CPU is still only 1-2% - which indicates that this synth is not able to be processed over multiple cores, and not even able to be moved over to a lesser used core.

I was at a point where the whole thing was freezing up so, as it played, I couldn't move any faders or anything and couldn't even use my spacebar to "stop" Reaper from playing.

I can get it to stop now by setting everything to max:
Frame Rate = Low (was High)
Engine Control Rate = 256 (was 64)
Internal Block Size = 256 (was 256)
These settings don't help the (RT) CPU usage, but at least Reaper is responsive now.
What exactly do these settings do?

I can use Current in a smaller project and it's better - but that doesn't help me for the song I want to work on ;)

I used Current on a decent sized project a few months ago (ver 1.1.2 I think) and I had *lots* of instances of current - with no problems at all.

I don't know if this problem has to do with the new version, (version 1.1.3 is the same) or a combination of other plugins in Reaper.

I can enable or disable openGL (I usually enable this in other plugins) - and it is the same.
Also VST2 and VST3 are the same.

Is anyone else seeing performance like this?
Is there any info on these frame rate and advanced settings? At least they're helping me for now.

Rgds,
John B

Reaper 7 64 bit (latest version)
Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
AMD Ryzen 3950x
32GB RAM
MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi mobo
NVIDIA GEForce GT710 video card
MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface (USB)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

FYI - I had a play with it again today and the problem seems to be the Frame rate - and it's just for the one Reaper project.
As long as the frame rate is not "high" - it's working OK with the latest version of Current.
Low and Medium are fine - but on "high", Reaper is super sluggish and can't even update the screen (play cursor etc) properly.

So, I guess this is a graphics issue on my PC. Other smaller projects are fine (even with frame rate high), but this one in particular doesn't like the "high" frame rate. This is not a problem - now that I know what how to workaround it ;-)

OpenGL is enabled - it's definitely worse without it (can't run in medium frame rate).
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

It's weird, I'm signed up to newsletter and bought stuff from Minimal but I never get notification when you guys are running offers like the current Current 30% off and 50% off effects sale

It’s only an offer for current with 30 off.
If you have some plugins and want to upgrade to bundle there is no discount

There was a 50% off sale for their effects at Pluginboutique (for their newsletter subscribers), ended two days ago, though. I think that was just exclusive to that store (?).

tq wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:55 am There was a 50% off sale for their effects at Pluginboutique (for their newsletter subscribers), ended two days ago, though. I think that was just exclusive to that store (?).
No, the sale is still available on Minimal's website.

I have to say I'm a bit puzzled with their price scheme. Is there any reason to buy a perpetual license for Current right now rather than going 1 year All access? It would be the exact same price (paying €139 right now to get Current perpetual license, or €120 for one year of all access which will give a 180 cashback, making it... €139 in total to get Current in one year, with the advantages of All access during that lapse of time). Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the value in buying a perpetual license during this sale. Especially when owning some of their products doesn't seem to have any effect on the price of All Access. Which makes AA overpriced as soon as you own anything from them, imo.

Same goes with the bundles and the ongoing sale makes it even more puzzling. There's a 50% discount on every effect, and a 30% discount on the bundle. Which makes it €208 to buy all the effects individually VS €296 if you take the whole bundle. Hope nobody did the latter...

Anyway, I'll likely get Current cause I'm really loving the sounds I get from it, but the marketing is shady as hell. When you add the complexity of what you own vs what you don't with All Access, it's getting quite complicated, and that's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

Return to “Instruments”