Arturia releases MiniBrute V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:54 am There's seemingly no predicting which new products end up in Analog Lab for everyone. MiniFreak made it in, but seemingly not MiniBrute.
Yes it is, Analog Lab update came out same time as the release

aMUSEd wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:10 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:54 am There's seemingly no predicting which new products end up in Analog Lab for everyone. MiniFreak made it in, but seemingly not MiniBrute.
Nope, AL 5.10.2 only adds MiniBrute compatibility. There's no actual patches included for non-Brute owners, unlike the MiniFreak (but if you do own the MiniBrute, the patches will show up).

There's no rhyme or reason to this, it just feels like a random Arturia whim from release to release.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:07 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:10 pm
Nope, AL 5.10.2 only adds MiniBrute compatibility. There's no actual patches included for non-Brute owners, unlike the MiniFreak (but if you do own the MiniBrute, the patches will show up).

There's no rhyme or reason to this, it just feels like a random Arturia whim from release to release.
I see, since I own it I didn't realise that.

Hmm... I wonder if you trial a project, the presets "stick" in AL at the end of the trial?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

If Arturia's synth emulations are "so amazing" that no one can tell the difference between the originals and the emulations, then why would Arturia make hardware synths at all? What's the point of hardware if software is indistinguishable?

With the release of the Minifreak V and MiniBrute V, Arturia's "masterplan" is now becoming clear:

Make your own modern hardware synths which you then "model" so as to not pay royalties to any other hardware vendors.

Genius!

Haha. What a load of crap. Arturia makes hardware like the PolyBrute 12 because no plugin will ever sound as good as that synth. Their modern-sounding synths like the Minifreak and MiniBrute are easy enough to model. But the V Collection "OP-Xa V," as just one example, sounds almost nothing like the real thing.
Last edited by Supercollider on Sun May 26, 2024 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hardware vs software bait argument detected

Action: ignore

Vortifex wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:33 am Hardware vs software bait argument detected

Action: ignore
Do you honestly think that Arturia could create an emulation of the PolyBrute that would sound as good? Hmm.

But seriously, then why do Sequential, Oberheim, Moog, Studio Electronics, Dreadbox, and even Behringer and the mostly-digital Waldorf exist? Is it all a bunch of old farts trading in nostalgia?

Hell, even IK Multimedia has produced the excellent-sounding Uno Synth Pro X that I highly doubt will ever be recreated in software.

Software has its place. But to think it's going to replace top notch analog or hybrid analog/digital hardware synths is just silly. Anyway, back to your laptop.

Supercollider wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:36 am But seriously, then why do Sequential, Oberheim, Moog, Studio Electronics, Dreadbox, and even Behringer and the mostly-digital Waldorf exist?
Because they do. Because there's more than one way to do things. Because there's more than one audience demographic. Because 6 out of those 7 companies predate DAWs and DAW plugins.

And several more 'becauses' that dont fit your rather poor false dichotomy.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

One significant reason why people go to software verses hardware apart from cost and touch is space. I love my hardware synths and I have a lot of them. I can't keep adding due to space limitations.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:14 am
Supercollider wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:36 am But seriously, then why do Sequential, Oberheim, Moog, Studio Electronics, Dreadbox, and even Behringer and the mostly-digital Waldorf exist?
Because they do. Because there's more than one way to do things. Because there's more than one audience demographic. Because 6 out of those 7 companies predate DAWs and DAW plugins.

And several more 'becauses' that dont fit your rather poor false dichotomy.

Scotty wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:20 am One significant reason why people go to software verses hardware apart from cost and touch is space. I love my hardware synths and I have a lot of them. I can't keep adding due to space limitations.
Indeed. And cost, obviously. A real Sequential, Oberheim, Moog, Waldorf yada yada cost significantly more than the software equivalent. More to purchase, but also more to manufacture, setup costs for which can be a barrier to entry in the hardware market.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I think emulations are "good enough" something like 95%+ close to the original, so long as there are no major complex feedback or distortion going on. I will be interested to hear just how good the new ARP 2600 emulation is going to be from Korg, and whether it can match the complexity of the hardware, will wait and see.
<list your stupid gear here>

Scotty wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:20 am One significant reason why people go to software verses hardware apart from cost and touch is space. I love my hardware synths and I have a lot of them. I can't keep adding due to space limitations.
Now that's an argument I can certainly understand. I used to own quite a few rackmount analog and analog/digital hybrid synths because space was at a premium in my home studio. But once there were no longer any reliable software editors for these synths (at least on the Mac side,) I unfortunately had to let them go. It didn't matter how great they sounded to me. If I couldn't easily edit existing sounds let alone program new ones, these synths became untenable.

So I now own a bunch of "software emulations" that don't sound anywhere near as good, IMO. But at least I can edit my sounds and even program new ones when the inspiration strikes. That's better than making some ridiculous stand on the basis of sound quality alone.

Anyway, I'm sorry to have derailed this thread which is about the MiniBrute V.

However, please indulge me in one "parting shot." If the MiniBrute V sounds ANYTHING like the hardware synth, then I was right to never check it out. Ha ha.

Supercollider wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:10 am then why would Arturia make hardware synths at all?
haven't seen this mentioned here:
because the live playing musician doesn't want to risk crashing OS/Laptops/software
in mids of a performance etc

and of course the big fat logo on the back of the hardware instrument
so that everybody in the audience knows what's playing... ;-)

muki wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:19 pm haven't seen this mentioned here:
because the live playing musician doesn't want to risk crashing OS/Laptops/software
in mids of a performance etc
Oh yeah, people do play live from time to time. :lol:

Whether anyone on KVR does that is another question. :hihi:
muki wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:19 pmand of course the big fat logo on the back of the hardware instrument
so that everybody in the audience knows what's playing... ;-)
I think we have a winner! Ha ha. It's all about Arturia's "branding." How could I have ever been so dense? :dog:

When the MiniBrute variations were released, plugins weren’t on the same level. Now PolyBrute 12 is released and plugins aren’t on the same level, if only because of its performance capabilities.

Return to “Instruments”