Behringer 1273 2-Channel Mic Preamp and EQ

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Low priced dual pre and EQ, there are on a roll.
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... d_source=1

Folks at GS are quick to point out that the cut/boost and freq selection are incorrect wrt the concentric knobs. I agree. At any rate, I'm way over having this kind of thing in hardware.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:07 pm Folks at GS are quick to point out that the cut/boost and freq selection are incorrect wrt the concentric knobs. I agree. At any rate, I'm way over having this kind of thing in hardware.

Yep. The test will be how it sounds compared to its rivals, Warm Audio, GAP and Alctron.
The price point of £599 makes me wonder, similar devices are double the price. The lowest 2 channel N pre I've seen is the Alctron MP73X2 without EQ at circa £450.

If you've ever struggled with recording a passive Fender style P or J bass (sounds weak/anemic with a low-end DI), a Neve style preamp can make a world of difference.

This looks nearly identical to the Warm Audio WA273.
I've got a pair of those.
Had to swap one out (defective)... but they've otherwise been solid performers.
Mainly use them for keyboard or auxiliary inputs.
Line-6 Helix (which can sound a little bit harsh on the top-end) sounds great thru the WA273.
If this sounds close to the WA273 (at roughly half the cost), it'll be a success.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:01 pm If you've ever struggled with recording a passive Fender style P or J bass (sounds weak/anemic with a low-end DI), a Neve style preamp can make a world of difference.

This looks nearly identical to the Warm Audio WA273.
I've got a pair of those.
Had to swap one out (defective)... but they've otherwise been solid performers.
Mainly use them for keyboard or auxiliary inputs.
Line-6 Helix (which can sound a little bit harsh on the top-end) sounds great thru the WA273.
If this sounds close to the WA273 (at roughly half the cost), it'll be a success.

The Warm Audio WA273 boasts Carnhill transformers, even though Neve uses Marinair. Gonna be interesting how Behringer stacks up.

I wonder if they intend a pre without EQ and a API flavour.

The Noodlist wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:44 pm The Warm Audio WA273 boasts Carnhill transformers, even though Neve uses Marinair. Gonna be interesting how Behringer stacks up.

I wonder if they intend a pre without EQ and a API flavour.
Yeah, I've got three Neve channel-strips... and got the WA-273 units to have four more Neve'ish channels. I wouldn't say they sound identical... but they're definitely in the ballpark.

Would love to have a few channels of API.

Behringer's new clone of the SSL Bus Comp also looks interesting.
Have a pair of KT-76 compressors. Like those a lot...
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:15 pm Behringer's new clone of the SSL Bus Comp also looks interesting.
The Neve style diode bridge? A no-brainer price if it's OK.
https://www.behringer.com/product.html? ... e=0817-ABK

A SSL style VCA bus comp ought to be on the horizon, another studio staple. No transformers should make it cheaper if they decide to produce one.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:07 pm At any rate, I'm way over having this kind of thing in hardware.
Yeah, same here. My Apollos with the Unison preamps have supplanted all of my front end audio devices. But, these new B's do look impressive and should sell like crazy at those prices. If this was a single-channel preamp at half the cost, I might be tempted since I only record one instrument at a time (95% vocals, 5% bass or "other"). Regardless, looks like Warm Audio might have some competition.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

The Noodlist wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:30 pm
Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:15 pm Behringer's new clone of the SSL Bus Comp also looks interesting.
The Neve style diode bridge? A no-brainer price if it's OK.
https://www.behringer.com/product.html? ... e=0817-ABK

A SSL style VCA bus comp ought to be on the horizon, another studio staple. No transformers should make it cheaper if they decide to produce one.
I was thinking it was an SSL clone. :dog: :)
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

I have the Behringer 369 , it’s great.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

ghettosynth wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:07 pm Folks at GS are quick to point out that the cut/boost and freq selection are incorrect wrt the concentric knobs. I agree.
The're not incorrect. They're different. I don't see how that matter in the slightest. This one dude at GS was absolutely outraged and thought it was an insult to Rupert Neve. I don't agree. Or as Morrisey put it:what difference does it make?

If you have muscle memory of the originals of these units, it makes a big deal, if not, not so much, but then why would you copy the horrible VU layout and then not copy the dial configuration, it is just more Behringer curioso for the books.
Duh

ghettosynth wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:07 pm Folks at GS are quick to point out that the cut/boost and freq selection are incorrect wrt the concentric knobs. I agree. At any rate, I'm way over having this kind of thing in hardware.
As an effect yeah I agree, but as a preamp I think there would be some value.

So it depends if you're recording a lot of audio.

bungle wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:25 am If you have muscle memory of the originals of these units, it makes a big deal, if not, not so much, but then why would you copy the horrible VU layout and then not copy the dial configuration, it is just more Behringer curioso for the books.
I just don't see that many owners of the original using this though i could be dead wrong about that obviously. Second, it's an eq, just turn the dials 'til it sounds good and if not keep on turning.

But with that said,i agree it's an odd choice and i'm really curious why they made it. It makes no sense. Maybe there's a technical reason for it or maybe they just did it to troll people?

They should do a complete series 80 desk,just to troll people with a big proud Behringer logo on it. Peoples brains over at GS would melt. :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”