What would you like to see added to (or improved upon) with Diva?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This might be a pointless discussion because u-he probably considers Diva a finished product. But hey, it's software. So is any synth plugin ever really finished? :lol:

Even though Diva features its "DCO" oscillator that reminds me a lot of the oscillator in my Roland MKS-50, there is no corresponding Alpha Juno / MKS-50 filter option.

This might seem like an odd request. A lot of people dismissed the Alpha Juno when it was released as having a "weak" filter. The fact that it doesn't self-oscillate is considered a "mortal sin." Maybe it's just my own tunnel vision, but people do seem to have come around to thinking that the Alpha Juno filter is actually pretty unique. I don't know of any other analog filter that sounds quite like it.

If u-he were to add an "Alpha" filter option to Diva, then I could potentially recreate a lot of my MKS-50 patches and might even be able to sell the MKS-50 for a hefty sum given the prices of even "budget" analog synths these days. Even though I have the MIDIClub programmer for the MKS-50, I would welcome a convincing software replacement in order to make room for newer synths.

Of course, one of the unique features of the Alpha Juno / MKS-50 is the multistage envelope. So unless u-he added that as well to Diva, I wouldn't be able to perfectly recreate some of the pads and so forth that I so enjoy using on my MKS-50. But I could live with that.

Anyway, does anyone else wish there were more filter types available in Diva? Or any other feature for that matter?

Wow you are on one mate.

What I would like in Diva2 is:
- Enhanced sound quality - increased internal oversampling
- More filter types like you said, possibly improvements on the existing models
- Same inbuilt fx that Repro has

+ Modmatrix like Hive 2. That's what I would like to have mostly.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

audiouser720 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:03 am Wow you are on one mate.
Haha. It's just that the Alpha Juno is one of the obvious choices for a new Roland Cloud synth plugin that has yet to materialize. It probably will eventually because Roland will no doubt continue to milk its legacy brands for all they are worth as they have done repeatedly in the past.

Juno-G anyone? God, what an abomination that has absolutely nothing in common with the legacy Juno series. My beloved Juno 60 is sitting in the corner of my studio right now weeping over that exploitation. What did it ever do to deserve that? :lol:

Seriously though, I think you could probably create more convincing Alpha Juno / MKS-50 patches in Diva with the right filter because Roland still can't seem to figure out how to authentically model their legacy synths in software. My opinion, of course.

audiouser720 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:03 am What I would like in Diva2 is:
I often hear people talk about how Diva Is somehow passe and "doesn't sound as good as the latest analog modeling synths." Really? I think Diva still sounds better than 99% of the other "analog" synth plugins on the market. And it was released in 2011!

What have all of these other synth plugin developers been up to in the past 13 (!) years? For instance, absolutely nothing that Arturia has released as part of their V Collection (which I own) in the intervening years can still match the "analog" goodness of Diva, IMO.

I suppose you could make a case for Synapse Audio's The Legend and Obsession. But who wants boring emulations of legacy hardware synths with almost all of the same limitations of the originals? At least the Synapse Audio plugins include a basic mod matrix and so forth, something that Diva might benefit from.
audiouser720 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:03 am - Same inbuilt fx that Repro has
Now that's something I can get onboard with! In fact, if you turn off the Repro FX, it's not actually that impressive, IMO. Those FX really make that synth.

Anytime I check other synth demos I gladly return to DIVA because it's still top notch soundwise in comparison. I also don't think that there have to be more filter or oscillator models. In my opinion a larger choice of models don't improve this plugin.

With plugmons MONA skin I'm very happy as everything is on one screen.

I agree that Repro fx would be very nice. Or at least an onboard eq with optional saturation. And at least one MSEG plus one Modmap like in Zebra.
EAT - SLEEP - SYNTH
http://soundcloud.com/pocvecem

pocvecem wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:00 pm With plugmons MONA skin I'm very happy as everything is on one screen.
I keep forgetting to buy that one, thanks for the reminder!
pocvecem wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:00 pm I agree that Repro fx would be very nice. Or at least an onboard eq with optional saturation. And at least one MSEG plus one Modmap like in Zebra.
Yes, that would be nice.
Has Urs ever hinted at a Diva 2?
Last edited by Examigan on Mon May 27, 2024 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basically, if you use the new CLAP version of Diva in Bitwig, you have yourself a Diva on steroids. Regular Diva, and CLAP Diva in Bitwig, are definitely two different animals.

IMO Diva still sounds great 13 years after release. It's like a damn fine piece of hardware itself.
"music is the best"

"Volume is a gain control. Positive values can subtly overdrive the amplifier" - so as it has amp sim kinda, more resolution to internal processing maybe. Can not really think of much more, maybe few oscs / modes & filters more and the new effects.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Off the top of my head:
  • serial/parallel filter options
  • a third envelope
  • more modulation options, matrix, etc (maybe a dash of westcoast flair)
These would be nice-to-haves. There's very little to complain about with Diva as is, though.

Supercollider wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:33 am
I often hear people talk about how Diva Is somehow passe and "doesn't sound as good as the latest analog modeling synths." Really? I think Diva still sounds better than 99% of the other "analog" synth plugins on the market. And it was released in 2011!

What have all of these other synth plugin developers been up to in the past 13 (!) years? For instance, absolutely nothing that Arturia has released as part of their V Collection (which I own) in the intervening years can still match the "analog" goodness of Diva, IMO.

I suppose you could make a case for Synapse Audio's The Legend and Obsession. But who wants boring emulations of legacy hardware synths with almost all of the same limitations of the originals? At least the Synapse Audio plugins include a basic mod matrix and so forth, something that Diva might benefit from.
Now that's something I can get onboard with! In fact, if you turn off the Repro FX, it's not actually that impressive, IMO. Those FX really make that synth.
It doesn’t sound bad, but it’s not at the top. If it was, maybe I’d not have sold it.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:17 pm
Supercollider wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:33 am

It doesn’t sound bad, but it’s not at the top. If it was, maybe I’d not have sold it.
Diva doesn’t sound bad at all, but if you compare things like its filter FM to the same thing in Repro, you’ll quickly hear how it sounds sort of tame and dull. It could definitely benefit from an “Ultra Devine” quality mode to take advantage of modern processors.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Here’s what I’d like to see in Diva 2.

Ultra Devine mode to improve the quality of audio rate stuff like filter FM.

Overhaul of the modifier page, which is possibly one of the worst interfaces I’ve seen. I’m modifying filter cutoff with… Add? :lol: A simple right-click drop down with a tiered list that read like, “LFO1 + Add” would go a long way towards making things clear without having to tab to a different page to see what’s happening.

More digital oscillator modes. Maybe a Microwave mode.

Third envelope.

A delay based on a simplified Colour Copy that can do chorus, phaser, etc.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:03 pm
Ultra Devine mode to improve the quality of audio rate stuff like filter FM.
I also agree that filter and osc fm sound much better in Repro-1. Could be improved.

These kind of sounds I usually make with my hardware synths and eurorack. Can't help it but software still isn't quite there with audiorate modulation.

Not yet.
EAT - SLEEP - SYNTH
http://soundcloud.com/pocvecem

- More Optimization.
- More modules (preferably aggressive stuff eg Polivoks...)
- Replace modifications with Hive's matrix.
- more FX/slots (distortion pls) + being able to swap the order and on/off toggle for each (basically Hive)
- A keyboard with Pwheel and Mwheel.
- A touch up on the GUI, something about it looks a bit dated (maybe the knobs?)
- On/off switch for the FXs in preset browser.
- Add the Moog querk that Urs talked about.
- That new oscilloscope.
- The vol knob in the amp tab drives the filter, should be renamed and moved into the filter module.

Return to “Instruments”