A wavetable synth plugin replacement for my beloved Microwave?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Supercollider wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:36 pm [
Jesus, dude. If you want to send me a private message we can "argue" all day long about absolutely nothing if that will make you feel any better about your life. But for the sake of other members of this forum, you might want to give this grandstanding nonsense a rest. Just a polite suggestion.
I agree, so why don't you drop the grandstanding and just send me a private message, you know actually practice what you preach?

It's obvious you are the one who wants to keep it going, why else would you respond the way you did ?

So drop the grandstanding and the personal attacks

No need to respond unless via private message

Supercollider wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:37 pm I actually own the "Vintage Waves" Serum preset pack from Swan Audio which is excellent (if a tad "glossy"). But that's more the exception to the rule, IMO.
You'd probably like LFO Store's Analog Dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNJLlP7debk

yellowmix wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:55 am You'd probably like LFO Store's Analog Dreams:
Thank you for suggesting this Serum sound set. It does sound good. I will probably pick it up in my never ending quest to actually get some use out of Serum.

However, Serum's digital filters don't sound very good on these otherwise excellent analog wavetables. The filters seem to add a "glossy" sheen to everything and don't sound authentically analog to me.

hi, Dune 3 best wavetable synth, buy now :?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Supercollider wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:16 pm However, Serum's digital filters don't sound very good on these otherwise excellent analog wavetables. The filters seem to add a "glossy" sheen to everything and don't sound authentically analog to me.
Serum is a digital synth that is sold in plugin form

It can't have authentic analog filters as it doesn't have any

It really seems like you should just stick to hardware as none of the software Wavetable Synths are going to be good enough for you

IvyBirds wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:48 pm
Supercollider wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:16 pm However, Serum's digital filters don't sound very good on these otherwise excellent analog wavetables. The filters seem to add a "glossy" sheen to everything and don't sound authentically analog to me.
Serum is a digital synth that is sold in plugin form

It really seems like you should just stick to hardware as none of the software Wavetable Synths are going to be good enough for you
I don’t think the OP has any intention of actually replacing his Microwave… unless it’s already been replaced and they’re looking to inflate the resell value of the one they’re selling. This thread reeks of “let me ask a question that I already know the answer to.”

I’m tired of saying this, but the real answer is, if there’s an instrument that has become a part of your identity and it’s exact sound is crucial to your music, then you will never find a replacement. However, if you’re flexible and know you’re way around a synthesizer, any synth mentioned can give great results, but be prepared to not find those results in the factory presets.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:27 pm I don’t think the OP has any intention of actually replacing his Microwave… unless it’s already been replaced and they’re looking to inflate the resell value of the one they’re selling. This thread reeks of “let me ask a question that I already know the answer to.”

I’m tired of saying this, but the real answer is, if there’s an instrument that has become a part of your identity and it’s exact sound is crucial to your music, then you will never find a replacement. However, if you’re flexible and know you’re way around a synthesizer, any synth mentioned can give great results, but be prepared to not find those results in the factory presets.
I don't know if you saw my post about selling my Microwave and Access Programmer last week and replacing it with a Waldorf M. Although I still think the Microwave has the edge over the M in terms of sound, I'm really happy with the 16-voice M. It's great to be able to actually program those Microwave-type sounds again after so many years without any working software editor. The M certainly isn't perfect. But it's light years more user friendly than the Microwave without an editor.

But that doesn't mean that I still wouldn't mind finding a synth plugin that can come close to matching the beautiful sound of the Microwave.

But why so snide and cynical? Geez, that's beyond ridiculous to think that I was somehow trying to inflate the price of my Microwave by creating this thread. I might have an inflated ego. But even I'm not so moronic as to think that creating a single post on KVR would somehow change market prices for the Microwave. Thinking that "reeks" of sheer idiocy, IMO.

You might want to apologize for questioning my motives. But that might require you to be the bigger man. I won't be holding my breath...

IvyBirds wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:48 pm Serum is a digital synth that is sold in plugin form

Thank you for that powerful bit of insight.
IvyBirds wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:48 pm It really seems like you should just stick to hardware as none of the software Wavetable Synths are going to be good enough for you
Didn't you say you weren't going to stalk me from thread to thread?

can you both just put each other on mute?
for the rest of our sakes.

vurt wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:30 pm can you both just put each other on mute?
I honestly don't know how to do that on this forum or I would have done it already. But I'm sure it's trivial to figure out. But yes, of course. With pleasure, actually. :tu:

Supercollider wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:54 pm
vurt wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:30 pm can you both just put each other on mute?
I honestly don't know how to do that on this forum or I would have done it already. But I'm sure it's trivial to figure out. But yes, of course. With pleasure, actually. :tu:
click on the name, then add foe.

When you have got the M, why are you looking for a VST?

Disclaimer: I've got an M and an Iridium. I have left the VST world behind (yeah, still use some of them but hardware is just so much better)
Brought to you by The Letter Z

All you need to do is add the wavetables from your Microwave and then use them in whatever wavetable synthesizer supports them. Of course, they won't sound exactly the same because it's a different synth, so if you must have the sound of a microwave then use a microwave.

Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_poQaAPt54
<list your stupid gear here>

Z wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:18 pm When you have got the M, why are you looking for a VST?

Disclaimer: I've got an M and an Iridium. I have left the VST world behind (yeah, still use some of them but hardware is just so much better)
I think I mentioned in perhaps another thread that I travel a lot for work. I keep a Korg "microKEY" 37-note mini keyboard controller in my remote office and take that back to my hotel room at night to sometimes work on songs but more often to just goof around a bit.

So having something in software that approximates my favorite synth of all time (the Microwave) would be awesome. Alas, I'm still searching.

FYI, I did just pull the trigger on an Iridium today. I had been going back and forth on that synth for A LONG time now. I think the Iridium can sound a bit sterile at times and its all-digital filters are not the best. (Why oh why doesn't the Iridium include the awesome digital filters from the Microwave II/XT especially since almost all of these have been added to the M?) But still, the Iridium is an amazingly powerful synth.

Regardless, if nothing else I'm looking forward to seeing the M and the Iridium sitting side by side on my keyboard stand with their same form factors. That's going to be inspiring even if I never write another piece of music which obviously won't be the case given that I'm working on one right now. Of course, I should be actually working right now and will now have to stay up late "grinding it out" because I'm "dicking around" at the moment. :lol:
Last edited by Supercollider on Wed May 29, 2024 3:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:27 pm I’m tired of saying this
And I'm REALLY tired of reading this sort of contemptuous, patronizing, insulting nonsense. Still waiting for that public apology, btw. It might be beneficial to act like a human being once and a while. Just saying.
Last edited by Supercollider on Wed May 29, 2024 3:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”