fabfilter Saturn 2 or alternative

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. Im wondering if there is anything comparable or alternative to the Fabfilter Saturn 2 ? I saw on yt how Saturn 2 works , and I like the idea but wondering if there is a cheaper alternative or even better at similar price ?
Kind regards

Yes, there's actually quite a bit out there that you can choose from, but it would depend on the kind of distortion/saturation you want. It cannot be understated how good Fabfilter's UI is, though; it makes the process of getting what you want easier.

Check this out though: https://www.apulsoft.ch/apshaper/

Thank you Erik_lucas , that seems to be a great plugin , just a bit too complicated with it's interface , anyway will have a look when back home. Anything else you have in mind as an alternative? I should mention that I'm looking for a similar user interface like in Saturn 2.
Thanks

user_tran wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:35 pm Hi. Im wondering if there is anything comparable or alternative to the Fabfilter Saturn 2 ? I saw on yt how Saturn 2 works , and I like the idea but wondering if there is a cheaper alternative or even better at similar price ?
Kind regards

Plamen from United Plugins is a very good alternative to Saturn2, i own both Saturn2 and Plamen, and i think this plugin worth even if you own Saturn2, cause comes with great sounds and different flavors.
Right now it's even on sale, so it's a good moment to take it

Cableguys DriveShaper (3-band). Also, Tone Projects Kelvin and Voxengo Powershaper or VariSaturator (2-band).

viewtopic.php?t=600398 A similar topic i started last year, could be worth a look.

I went with Dist Coldfire by Arturia in the end, also picked up Miinimal Audio Rift which is great.

For general multiband dynamic control with saturation, Toneboosters MBC is really nice and it's basically nagware so you can demo it for as long as you need (but consider buying it to support the dev). Interface is similar to Saturn but way less distortion/saturation options. Sounds absolutely great though, the radio master presets thrown on plucky bass is amazing.

You might want to look into Fire: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3678/

Also XCTR by Audio Assault is like a much lesser version of it.

And iZotope Trash is also a very good multiband distortion (the free version is also good but only single-band)

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I like the Plamen , Fire , Toneboosters MBC and Trash. Thanks guys

If you are using Ableton, Roar. (A lot of times the DAW's own plugins are already there)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

.. or if you happen to be using Logic then the new AI based saturation plugin is absolutely excellent! I'd buy it for 150$ if it was available standalone for other DAWs.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I'm using Reason studios so only vst are the solution for myself , I'm tempting try some other daw but the "time" is my enemy just now :) , would prefer to stick to what I know using Reason. Ive checked some plugims already and from now I think Saturn is what I'll be looking for , especially if it show up a cheap second hand license. Thanks You All to suggestions and help in this matter.

user_tran wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:52 pm I'm using Reason studios so only vst are the solution for myself , I'm tempting try some other daw but the "time" is my enemy just now :) , would prefer to stick to what I know using Reason. Ive checked some plugims already and from now I think Saturn is what I'll be looking for , especially if it show up a cheap second hand license. Thanks You All to suggestions and help in this matter.
You could build a combinator and use the stereo imager to split bands.. Then use scream, pulveriser, etc as your saturation sources. I've done this in the past when i used Reason and built really nice multiband saturation combinators.

As for VSTs, sound wise Ozone's Exciter gets REALLY close to Saturn and some of its main algo's. It doesn't have the modulation aspect, but I for example rarely use that in a MB saturation setting. Cableguys Drivershaper (for Shaperbox) also gets close and has the modulation support.

bmanic wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:08 am .. or if you happen to be using Logic then the new AI based saturation plugin is absolutely excellent! I'd buy it for 150$ if it was available standalone for other DAWs.
Is that Chromaglow? I just upgraded, haven't tried it yet.

As I said in another thread, when I really think about it I have way more overdrive/distortion plugins--or rather, plugins that can do it to some degree--than I'd think at first glance, even including the stock compressor distortions. There's Phat fx in Logic as well. Granted, Saturn looks like it takes to a very complex level if you want it to.

And I have Ozone as well (came with Komplete), I didn't even think about the exciter there, good to know!

Just get Kush TWK (also A, and N) if Saturn 2 is too complex.

Saturn 2 is quite simple - unless you don't want it to be. It's the best all-around solution I've found. Perhaps look at Fury, as well. Shaperbox 2 is a great tool from a great company. Pyros is possibly one of the best lower-cost solution (though browsing the saturation types is awkward).

Fabfilter plugins are typically jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none in my opinion. They are super-flexible but don't really do even just one conventional thing particularly well. So I would ask myself "what am I looking for in/wanting to get out of/wanting to accomplish with a saturation plugin, then get a few plugins that do each of these tasks far better than Saturn.

Return to “Effects”