Aphex Twin's software suite

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiouser720 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:19 pm It’s not the software he used you should be after, but his shampoo of choice
Yes, indeed! It makes harsh and dirty frequencies so much smoother and cleaner. I use it all day and it was a game changer! :tu:

to make his type of beats you need renoise and lsd
aliasing plugin owner
:?

the problem i have in trying to achieve that sound or sound exactly like someone or “ get that sound “ is trying for a perfection you can’t get , just listen to the music a lot and make stuff choose some tools and go , chasing sounds and tools for me just ends in lost time , be inspired by and make your own shit if it’s good people will come .

jupiter8 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:11 pm
mcbpete wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:48 amMost of the stuff mentioned in the video was pre- his move to an almost entirely hardware driven studio - of which you can see listed here: https://pitchfork.com/news/56630-aphex- ... -surfaces/
Korg PS3300 x3
FUUUUU...........
sheesh

Because of him we build filters and oscillators in reakta. Mental

audiouser720 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:48 pm reakta
:? :hug: :hug:
aliasing plugin owner
:?

martiu wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:50 pm
audiouser720 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:48 pm reakta
:? :hug: :hug:
I will send you fee for copyright

RDJ's secret weapon was more cowbell
A well-behaved signature.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:21 pm LOL , the artists on early warp used off the shelf hardware like everyone else...
I had assumed we'd already established some Warp artists were using bespoke software in the '90s? Ben's video states this fact.
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:21 pm ...certainly not Kyma .
Symbolic Sounds name checks Aphex Twin in its news feed in 1999.
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:21 pm ANd I bet you wouldn't even notice the difference between sound processed with kyma , CDP or supercollider .
Well, the Kyma language was developed a decade before Supercollider. I'm sure the 20 year old me in 1994 could distinguish between audio processing that existed and audio processing that did not...
eh?

Dunbar wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:23 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:21 pm LOL , the artists on early warp used off the shelf hardware like everyone else...
I had assumed we'd already established some Warp artists were using bespoke software in the '90s? Ben's video states this fact.
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:21 pm ...certainly not Kyma .
Symbolic Sounds name checks Aphex Twin in its news feed in 1999.
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:21 pm ANd I bet you wouldn't even notice the difference between sound processed with kyma , CDP or supercollider .
Well, the Kyma language was developed a decade before Supercollider. I'm sure the 20 year old me in 1994 could distinguish between audio processing that existed and audio processing that did not...
bespoke = tailor made , cylob was one of the first serious supercollider adopters ( to this day ) and probably made some stuff for Aphex to use , but James Mccarthy (supercolldier creator) didn't code anything tailor made .
Yep and cdp existed at the same time as kyma .
The stuff stuff done by RDJ that really ventured into digital signal processing is Come to D, RDJ album and Druguse
,some KYma here and there probably yes.
Point being , your statement that Kyma is heard all over early warp is just pure speculation .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

When many of those early "IDM" artists (AFX, Autechre, Squarepusher found commercial success they did indeed buy all types of things including kyma systems. Whether much of this crazy expensive gear ended up on any records is another matter. The moral of any of this "what did they use" speculation and investigation is that people were doing bonkers stuff on very primitive hardware with software that anyone can get. With the tools people have access to now anybody should be able to accomplish anything they imagine.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:29 pm This all changed with the release of Syro and also parenthood , the prankster died and the guy openend up
Well there was a Syro interview where he said he lied about having kids :hihi:

Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:43 pm is that people were doing bonkers stuff on very primitive hardware with software that anyone can get.
This
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Also some of the stuff from that video seemed off to me. I was doing very crazy spectral manipulation of files in cool edit (not pro) and granular stuff in the 8th grade which would have been 97 I think. Making loops in hammerhead and then shredding those loops and then putting them back in hammerhead and then taking the results and trying to stitch it into something cool destructively in cool edit by using "paste from file". I found some of those "master tapes during a cleaning recently...... It was mostly terrible. 👍
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:53 pm ...... It was mostly terrible. 👍
Haha, thank you for this, you gave me a laugh today.

It's of course ok to be curious what people use to make music, but in case any people reading this thread are in the "it must be the tools" camp, I agree with the sentiment of a couple posts above, which are subtly saying that if you have lots of talent and creativity, you'll find a way to make interesting music with any reasonable soft/hardware.

And although RDJ is my favorite electronic musician of all time, let's admit some of his tracks also veer into "mostly terrible" territory.

Return to “Effects”