What’s the oldest VSTi you still use today ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Probably Alchemy (1) for Windows.
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

osiris wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:32 pm Generator. That was it. I found that download for Sync Modular, and it still works, but no Ensembles to load. Loved Vaz Modular but it lost the charm when it became Vaz 2010.
I have them all, at least all the freeware published in yahoogroups, and some others that users like Liquih allowed me to share.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... kVYaFrF_sH

VAZ Modular!

I had a Sync ensemble that was gigantic. Supposedly a Virus emu, used Virus waveforms in the oscillator, but sounded nothing like it, but still quite a little noisemaker. I could at least get Sync to run. I tried AAS Tassman (Tassman Pro?) and loved the sound, but it would kill my CPU. That was a huge issue for a while. Plugin designers had the more advanced PCs and were designing stuff to prolly be used in a pro studio, and they would choke the average home PC. My first PC had a whopping 60mhz Intel processor and a ginormous 10 mb hard drive.

Diva. Older ones have been replaced completely by better alternatives (imho)
Last edited by exmatproton on Wed May 29, 2024 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exmatproton wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:31 pm Diva. Older ones have replaced completely by better alternatives (imho)
Diva came out in 2012, so twelve years old! Of course it's had a few updates, but still, oldish plugin.
<list your stupid gear here>

exmatproton wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:31 pm Diva. Older ones have replaced completely by better alternatives (imho)
Good, it's an opinión, but not true. Some plugins have no vst3 replacement.

VB-1... As seen here with NorthPole, a rockin' combo-

wikter wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:16 pm
Good, it's an opinión, but not true. Some plugins have no vst3 replacement.
i have no idea what you mean. Diva is the oldest plugin i use. Plugins i used that are older then Diva, i have replaced by other, newer plugins, that are (imho) better

Oatmeal. Love that synth (though not with the default skin - yikes!).

Charlatan has been around a while.

Omnisphere?

No... I guess technically Kontakt, but that seems like a cop-out answer, since it's not like I use any of the default library.

...I do still have Absynth installed, but I almost never use it, so I won't count that one. I keep meaning to...

Microtonic, bought it when it came out. still regular updates, and now I have the little Pocket Operator hardware that goes with it, and loads M-tonic sounds and patterns. Love it! :D
krankyone wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:06 am Oh, and I forgot about Microtonic
wow, come to mention it, I still use a LOT of really old ones... I used one of Odo's C-64 inspired synths in a release last year https://thefourthman.bandcamp.com/track ... -can-break

the more I think about it, the more 15+ year-old plugins I realize are in every new track I make. wow
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Novation V station
Korg poly 6

I remember those being the first vst synths that sounded good. I can use this.
Vas modular was ok but I think it was dx only. I think those 2 synths made me think about doing things using not just hardware synths.vanguard was a turd.

A lot of people bring up older synths I think for nostalgia purposes but some of them were dx so I kinda doubt they are still used.

Z3ta+

Really excellent, still now.

Return to “Instruments”