SONICALLY Best VST Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd really like the halion user env to have a free option with loop and no retrigger

Tone2 Icarus & Electra2.-

Massive X still the best sounding imo but not efficient so only use it sparingly. Just great gritty FM, so good for darker psytrance styles...

Tal Mod sounds wonderful to me and is my go to VA sort of thing. Hive 2 also crystal clear (except using the dirty engine of course) and so easy to use, my go to for more basic wavetable BP saw filter cutoff tweakery.

Of the monster synths, I favour Current atm- some of the phase distortion/oscillator effects are top notch and with the mod matrix, it's become easier to use. Sounds great, and looks nice as well.

Not sure if I responded earlier in this thread, I probably did and I probably said "Repro" (in particular, Repro 1).

Now...man I have to say that indeed Massive X sounds amazing. It's hard to say "best" because genres matter, but it sounds big (massive even!) and hifi and alive....even with the fx (which are excellent) off. Most of the beefs with it seem to be more related to programming it, and as a certified preset tweaker that hasn't been an issue for me....

I finally picked up Omnisphere and I could see it taking over for me. It has a very nice synth section (putting aside the samples and presets) and the "lock" functions as you change presets look extremely useful. E.g. locking the arp if you find a good one, then change presets and that arp remains. That would be a case where features mean more to me than any slight sound quality difference.

And there are times with simpler less impressive sounds work better. I often find that Zebra 2 works the best for me. It's fx aren't super great, they tend to be not cranked up (which I like), and they can sound a bit plain jane...but you put them in a busy track and it works!

Not to get all high-falutin' and philosophical...but the quality of the parts I record make a bigger difference than the relative quality of the synths I pick, IMO...

Still a fun topic because it's always good to know what people think is high quality :)

I don't really hear a relevant difference between quality synths, frankly. Maybe my hearing is not good enough.
I like to pick nice factory sounds from one synth and recreate them on another synth. Works fine most of the time if the feature set allows it.

this is an illness...
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Myth.

(Unless your goal is to emulate analog synths without using samples... in which case, much as I like Repro, I'd have to admit it's not the most analog sounding set of Prophet emulations. The most analog sounding emulation right now might actually be GForce's Axxess, which I got for free....)

Nicolau wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:45 am I don't really hear a relevant difference between quality synths, frankly. Maybe my hearing is not good enough.
I like to pick nice factory sounds from one synth and recreate them on another synth. Works fine most of the time if the feature set allows it.
+1 :tu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAmp6b88xvk

Zebralette 3 is about the nicest OSC I've played with. Harmor, alchemy, zebra 2 and razor. All of these use incredibly complex additive oscillators though.
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Well, I know you've all been waiting for the answer for a very, very long time.

Now here it is :

The correct answer is : Einklang.

Einklang is the best sounding synth ever. Why ? Because I just said so. And I think that if you don't know this synth yet, you'll feel more relaxed after trying it. Everybody always enjoys a good laugh. :hihi:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

And seriously I'd say Spire.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:25 pm And seriously I'd say Spire.
I would guess that everybody who answered in this thread and didn't answer Spire were just joking.

So yes, spire it is and close second is Avenger 2....

Close third is Legend HZ...

Spire- so lush and fat, great synth. I really need to get to know it better... Really beefy.

swilow11 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:35 pm Spire- so lush and fat, great synth. I really need to get to know it better... Really beefy.
I vote for Spire as well. I just recently got it and it sounds amazing. Actually I sold my V collection 9 license to get it and am quite happy trading in those 33 synths for one. Icarus is my second vote I think

u-he Bazille + Diva ( both sonically ). u-he dev's capture the essence of Analog like no other , on a mountain above most.

Martin's PG-8X sounds incredibly close to my JX8P, yet more practical to use and won't break, so clear winner over the hardware.

TAL you pick the plug, they all sound incredible. This Dev is also on the mountain... Wishing he does the Memorymoog someday.

Softube Model 84' = special

Xils PolyKB III = also on that mountain..

FXpansion Cypher2 + Strobe 2 - sounds better than alot of hw synths.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Instruments”