The Terrified Doughnut (Happy Donut Day!)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For Donut Day (first Friday in June) redmaggot and I collaborated on some songs based on his poem "The Terrified Doughnut".

Original: https://archive.org/download/Donut_Song ... %204.5.mp3
Chamber: https://archive.org/download/Donut_Song ... ber%29.mp3
No Hope: https://archive.org/download/Donut_Song ... ope%29.mp3
Sweet: https://archive.org/download/Donut_Song ... eet%29.mp3
No Hope 2: https://archive.org/download/Donut_Song ... 202%29.mp3

Lyrics (for the original):

Code: Select all

The Terrified Doughnut

Verse 1:
The torture began
With a syringe full of jelly
A painful injection
Applied to the belly
Scared half to death
And in fear of his life
He watches his captor
Attack with a knife.

Chorus: 
I'm just a doughnut and I'm terrified
Can't escape and there's nowhere to hide
I wanna live don't want to be fried
Don't want no custard or jelly inside  

Adlib 1: Ouch oof, don't you batter me or inject me through. Oh no, keep that knife away from me.
Adlib 2: Ahh chee. Turn off the fryer. It's gettin hot. Turn off the fryer. It's gettin hot. Too scared to die.

Verse 2:
He knew it was bad
When she added the flour
Accepting at most
He would live for an hour
If only, he thought
If she'd run out of yeast
He'd live for a week
Or a fortnight at least.

Adlib 3: Oh no, keep the sprinkles away from me. 

Chorus:

Verse 3:
Catching a glimpse
Of a bowl full of sugar
The end was in sight
For the poor little bugger
Sucking it up
And refusing to cry
The terrified doughnut
Was sentenced to fry. 

Adlib 4: Why me. Not the sprinkles. (sprinkles shaking menacingly)

Chorus:

Adlib 5: Hot hot hot hot hot hot. . . ooh that's not bad.

Last edited by Genetic_Junk on Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another fun collaboration.

Thank you, Genetic_Junk. It's been a year since our first collab.

Reminds me of that Hot Chocolate song, It Started With A Pig.
Last edited by redmaggott on Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cool! Nice tracks… I liked songs, arrangements and soundscapes.

Yes, I feel sorry for poor Donat. I listened to "no hope 2":

And yes, I'm very impressed. The change between full sound and the transparently
quiet vocal parts is very effective and brings a lot of variety and entertainment to
the song. Overall, the song is very well done and really nice to listen to! Great! :clap:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

markkuja wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:18 am Cool! Nice tracks… I liked songs, arrangements and soundscapes.
Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed.

I've listened to all of them, multiple times (and the original by redmaggott), and there is certainly a lot of differentiation and contrast between the various mixes. The "original" at the top of this thread had me a little confused the first time I listened, but I have now become acclimatised to its cheerful insanity. I really liked the vocal processing, particularly in the Adlib sections. The structural contrast between the verses and chorus reminded me of King Crimson's "Dig Me".

Good work :)

markkuja wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:18 am Cool! Nice tracks… I liked songs, arrangements and soundscapes.
Thank you.
enroe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:19 pm Yes, I feel sorry for poor Donat. I listened to "no hope 2":

And yes, I'm very impressed. The change between full sound and the transparently
quiet vocal parts is very effective and brings a lot of variety and entertainment to
the song. Overall, the song is very well done and really nice to listen to! Great! :clap:
Yeah, poor Donut.
Thanks for listening.
seismic1 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:09 pm I've listened to all of them, multiple times (and the original by redmaggott), and there is certainly a lot of differentiation and contrast between the various mixes. The "original" at the top of this thread had me a little confused the first time I listened, but I have now become acclimatised to its cheerful insanity. I really liked the vocal processing, particularly in the Adlib sections. The structural contrast between the verses and chorus reminded me of King Crimson's "Dig Me".

Thanks seismic1.
I like that, cheerful insanity.

I listened to each of them and they are all uniquely insane.

I think I like 'No Hope' and 'No Hope2' best but 'Sweet' and 'Original' are also a lot of fun!

Thanks for sharing!

All this time, and I've never considered life from the donut's point of view until now. Thanks for that.
Lots of crazy things going on. I enjoyed them all.

I'm slowly revising my opinion regarding my favourite version. The "No Hope" mix has some great instrumental touches, especially the bass (that sounds like it could be a synth).

My tops are the original and No Hope 2. Can't decide. Nice work both :tu:
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

justin3am wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:11 am I listened to each of them and they are all uniquely insane.

I think I like 'No Hope' and 'No Hope2' best but 'Sweet' and 'Original' are also a lot of fun!

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for listening and commenting. The singing on No Hope was pretty fun. Performed lots of takes till my voice was giving out. I fear my new neighbors might be troubled by the aggressive, loud, repetitive "singing".

jwnicholson wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:41 pm All this time, and I've never considered life from the donut's point of view until now. Thanks for that.
Lots of crazy things going on. I enjoyed them all.
Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed the craziness.

Return to “Music Cafe”