SONICALLY Best VST Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do all those posts mean that people think old hardware sounded the best and thus has to be emulated as closely as possible? I am not so sure that is the case.

Since people keep mentioning Diva, can you tell me a factory preset that justifies that claim?

Nicolau wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:40 am Do all those posts mean that people think old hardware sounded the best and thus has to be emulated as closely as possible? I am not so sure that is the case.

Since people keep mentioning Diva, can you tell me a factory preset that justifies that claim?
I would 100% disagree to that. Diva sounds great for people liking the sound of old hardware.
It is an awesome tool to recreate a vibe or give a vintage feel...

People liking more modern sounds would more rave about Serum, Phase Plant, Avenger 2, Spire, Current, ...

We are in the world of music... It is about taste and subjectivity, not hard truth and measurement (like Spire sawtooth sounds 7.46% better than the one of Serum lol...)

Nicolau wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:40 am Do all those posts mean that people think old hardware sounded the best and thus has to be emulated as closely as possible? I am not so sure that is the case.

Lots of people seem to like old sounding stuff. Vintage synths ,vintage compressors, old eqs,tape emulations, vintage gear. Diva doesn’t do it for me really and I realized that non of the vintage stuff does. I just recently sold my Arturia v collection and FX collection licenses because I just don’t enjoy those sounds much anymore( although I will miss a few of them). When I was a kid those synths were so cool and futuristic but now there is newer sounds to be made

Jac459 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:18 am

I would 100% disagree to that. Diva sounds great for people liking the sound of old hardware.
It is an awesome tool to recreate a vibe or give a vintage feel...

People liking more modern sounds would more rave about Serum, Phase Plant, Avenger 2, Spire, Current, ...

We are in the world of music... It is about taste and subjectivity, not hard truth and measurement (like Spire sawtooth sounds 7.46% better than the one of Serum lol...)
But I am not sure the "vintage feel" has much to do with the sound as such, but with the way people use it, i.e. the sounds they program on it. And with the user interface. If it had a GUI like Charlatan 3, I doubt people would feel the same way about it.

From your list, I only know Spire, and I am pretty sure one can get the same vintage feel from it, if that is what one wants.

ChanceB wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:00 am

Lots of people seem to like old sounding stuff. Vintage synths ,vintage compressors, old eqs,tape emulations, vintage gear. Diva doesn’t do it for me really and I realized that non of the vintage stuff does. I just recently sold my Arturia v collection and FX collection licenses because I just don’t enjoy those sounds much anymore( although I will miss a few of them). When I was a kid those synths were so cool and futuristic but now there is newer sounds to be made
So, what sounds better?

Nicolau wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:52 am
ChanceB wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:00 am

So, what sounds better?
Better than Diva or better than Vintage emulations in general? Both are subjective of course and I don’t think Diva sounds bad but it definitely never wowed me any of the several times I’ve installed the demo. I’m sure it sounds accurate enough to impress people after all these years but I’m not after that vintage sound so my opinion on it isn’t really relevant. I do however find it interesting that so many people are obsessed with capturing the sound of old gear,entire plugin companies exist to capitalize on this. I don’t think it’s bad just interesting. Anyway some of the synths I have that I think sound excellent are Spire,Icarus,Massive X,Bitwig’s Phase 4,Current,Harmor. lol now I’m just naming my favorite synths but this thread was destined to be a “favorite synth” thread from the beginning anyway.

Zebra 2 oscillators make it number one in my book. Which means Zebralette is the best sonically of all synths.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Best sounding for me : Hive 2 and Zebra 2 overall, Diva for vintage/analog sounds. I could also put Dune and The legend in this list.

Dmitry Sches's Diversion is a very nice sounding synth. It's very CPU intensive and hasnt been updated in many years. But, it's still formidable...

https://dmitrysches.com/products/diversion

i share that thought
ChanceB wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:00 am ..... but now there is newer sounds to be made
i´m in the same canoe

Massive X ....
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:10 pm Massive X ....
Yeah it’s best for new modern sounds, but also best for vintage analogue IMHO

Loomer Aspect. Easily the best sounding vst synth I've heard. With no onboard FX, it doesn't hide it's beautiful raw sound.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

My top 5:
1.Sylenth1 - top notch,easy, old school analog-ish sound
2.Massive X - high end hybrid digital/analog sound
3.Icarus - high quality sound,diversity of filtration
4.Synthmaster 2 - dope modern sound,limitless modulations of every parameter
5.Vital - amazing free modern sound,friendly workflow

jethrobull wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:08 am Loomer Aspect. Easily the best sounding vst synth I've heard. With no onboard FX, it doesn't hide it's beautiful raw sound.
I use Architect extensively, but never heard of Aspect. Demos sound dope :eek:

Return to “Instruments”