AudioThing Wurly - Vintage Electric Piano, Wurlitzer Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiothing wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:05 pm
Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:18 am First impression AudioThing Wurly vs Arturia Wurli V3 using a MIDI file of Ray Charles' What'd I Say. When playing single notes both emulations sound good, but when many notes are playing at the same time, the transients of Wurli V3 sound less sharp, even with dynamics turned down. Wurly does this better imo.
Thank you! I've had the idea of developing a Wurlitzer plugin for a long time. Before starting development, I tried to demo and listen to as many software options as I could find (even resurrecting my old Nord Electro 3). The main test, besides actually playing each one, was using the MIDI file for Ray Charles's "What'd I Say." It's a really good benchmark, even though he was playing a Wurlitzer 120.
Do a 100 series next please if you can obtain those pianos. I agree with these fellas that they have a desirable sound and character:

https://youtu.be/18Ioq6uJlFY?si=HdbQ125exqGnB0ry

Nameerf wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:46 pm This was almost an instabuy (I downloaded the demo as a formality but bought it about 5 mins later!) I am a huge Wurlitzer fan and have been servicing electric pianos for 20+ years - I've owned several 200A's and this really does nail it!
I don't know if it's to do with the physical modeling but it is very expressive.
Thank you! This means a lot, and I have a lot of respect for electric piano techs. I was very lucky to find a really good one here in Dublin (my 200 needed a good servicing). After playing with many sample libraries, I think the bulk of the sound has to come from physical modeling to allow for proper dynamic control and playing. You can then sprinkle in some samples :D
Nameerf wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:46 pmI do agree with Bulat79 that I'd love some inbuilt distortion somewhere - more gain on the volume control? An additional "drive" control? It does sound glorious with added distortion - I've tried it though Amplitube, Audiority Pyros and some Fuse Audio Labs preamps - it would be fantastic to be able to overdrive the pickup sound but leave the "clank" sound clean...
This is not a complaint but a feature request!
REALLY excellent emulation! Thank you!
An additional drive control, next to the speaker section perhaps, sounds like a very good idea indeed. I'll definitely look into it. Anyway, you can still get a bit more gain by adjusting the Pickup controls.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:00 pmDo a 100 series next please if you can obtain those pianos. I agree with these fellas that they have a desirable sound and character:

I've been trying to buy a 106p for a while now, and I hope to get one eventually.

Unrelated to electric pianos, while I was searching for the 106p, I stumbled upon the Wurlitzer MLM, which is a very basic top-octave divide-down organ. Of course, I got one :hihi:
Wurlitzer MLM 1.jpeg
Wurlitzer MLM 2.jpeg
While it sounds really basic, it can produce some crazy feedback effects with the input and output jacks conveniently located on the front-left side. So, that'll be next too :ud:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

audiothing wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:24 am
Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:00 pmDo a 100 series next please if you can obtain those pianos. I agree with these fellas that they have a desirable sound and character:

I've been trying to buy a 106p for a while now, and I hope to get one eventually.
Reed106 by Sampleson has been on my wishlist for quite some time. Athough I like how it sounds on YouTube and SoundCloud, the limited tweakability is holding me back. Your 106 could be just what I'm looking for.
audiothing wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:24 am Unrelated to electric pianos, while I was searching for the 106p, I stumbled upon the Wurlitzer MLM, which is a very basic top-octave divide-down organ. Of course, I got one :hihi:
Wurlitzer MLM 1.jpeg
Wurlitzer MLM 2.jpeg

While it sounds really basic, it can produce some crazy feedback effects with the input and output jacks conveniently located on the front-left side. So, that'll be next too :ud:
Didn't know this one. Could be fun. :)

Nameerf wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:46 pmIt would be fantastic to be able to overdrive the pickup sound but leave the "clank" sound clean
Yes, great suggestion!

Since native Wurly preamp is a bit laid back, an additional drive control while leaving "clank" tone intact. Perfect.

Trying the demo and it does not seem to be responding to note-off messages at all. Is that a demo limitation?

NAD wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:14 am Trying the demo and it does not seem to be responding to note-off messages at all. Is that a demo limitation?
That's definitely not a demo limitation. Have you tried using other instruments/plugins?

OK, this is very strange. I just loaded it up now and it was working fine... for maybe half a minute. Then it started ignoring note-offs again. I deleted the track and loaded it up on a new track and the same thing happened, after a few moments of playing around with the parameters it again stated to ignore note-offs. Tried this again a few times and I found out it happens even if I don't touch anything. Also happens for midi coming from the piano-roll rather than live input from my keyboard. Other instruments are working just fine. Weird, right?

NAD wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:22 am OK, this is very strange. I just loaded it up now and it was working fine... for maybe half a minute. Then it started ignoring note-offs again. I deleted the track and loaded it up on a new track and the same thing happened, after a few moments of playing around with the parameters it again stated to ignore note-offs. Tried this again a few times and I found out it happens even if I don't touch anything. Also happens for midi coming from the piano-roll rather than live input from my keyboard. Other instruments are working just fine. Weird, right?
That's really strange indeed. This could be related to the demo limitation silence every 45 secs, but I don't see why (it's unrelated to MIDI notes). I'll double check it later. What OS, DAW, and format are you using?

audiothing wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:24 am I've been trying to buy a 106p for a while now, and I hope to get one eventually.
If you're ever in the NYC/NJ area and want a 120, I've got one that's been sitting in the basement unused for years. The action is AWFUL on those things and I'm far from Ray Charles. Would be gratis if you can figure out how to get it back to Ireland. :)

audiothing wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:06 am That's really strange indeed. This could be related to the demo limitation silence every 45 secs, but I don't see why (it's unrelated to MIDI notes). I'll double check it later. What OS, DAW, and format are you using?
Well now everything's working fine. That's Murphy's law of tech support, everything always works fine when you're trying to show the IT guy....
For reference though, I'm on Windows 7 using Reaper 7.16 and both VST3 and CLAP versions were doing the weird thing except now they're not.
Nice plugin btw, I'm having fun!

Nameerf wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:46 pm This was almost an instabuy (I downloaded the demo as a formality but bought it about 5 mins later!) I am a huge Wurlitzer fan and have been servicing electric pianos for 20+ years - I've owned several 200A's and this really does nail it!
I don't know if it's to do with the physical modeling but it is very expressive.
I do agree with Bulat79 that I'd love some inbuilt distortion somewhere - more gain on the volume control? An additional "drive" control? It does sound glorious with added distortion - I've tried it though Amplitube, Audiority Pyros and some Fuse Audio Labs preamps - it would be fantastic to be able to overdrive the pickup sound but leave the "clank" sound clean...
This is not a complaint but a feature request!
REALLY excellent emulation! Thank you!
ok, audiothing lost with this post one Demo download, but gained one purchase ;)

vs. overdrive,...."could be" that Airwindows "Stonefire" could be a thing.
Wherever i use it, i use it in conjunction with other saturation/drives.
For example Kush TWK, and one, or even two instances of stonefire. (plus -dyna- EQing here and there)
check it out.

can´t say if it fitts the -common- Wurlitzer needs.

ST wet requires with my settings a minus 7-11db gain reduction to match OG levels. So take the new consolidated thing from airwindows in case you want to give it a try.

OK I actually figured out what the problem was! So my sustain pedal tends to send random messages when it's fully up between 0 and 6 or so and apparently Wurly seems to consider any non-zero message from CC64 as the pedal being all the way down. For people who don't have a continuous sustain pedal this shouldn't be a problem. Ideally though I think it should change somewhere closer to the middle of the range, though I just put a plugin behind Wurly that maps lower values to zero.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:26 amIf you're ever in the NYC/NJ area and want a 120, I've got one that's been sitting in the basement unused for years. The action is AWFUL on those things and I'm far from Ray Charles. Would be gratis if you can figure out how to get it back to Ireland. :)
Ah! That would be great, thank you! I suspect shipping + import will be quite pricey :ud:

audiothing wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:27 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:26 amIf you're ever in the NYC/NJ area and want a 120, I've got one that's been sitting in the basement unused for years. The action is AWFUL on those things and I'm far from Ray Charles. Would be gratis if you can figure out how to get it back to Ireland. :)
Ah! That would be great, thank you! I suspect shipping + import will be quite pricey :ud:
It's got a handle. Carry on baggage! :P :lol:

Return to “Instruments”