Luna on Windows (open beta) released.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post

I'm quite impressed. Installed it today took about ten minutes, already had a couple of UAD plugins so so it was like a few clicks and bingo. Liked the fact it gave an immediate option to send shape content (about 9 gig) to an external drive. Reason cant do that. The interface is quite lovely and shiny lol. My ilok experience was painless.

Post

Is there need for a new DAW - nahhhh - this one does not stand out - delete... :phones:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Post

AcrossTheSky wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:28 pm Is there need for a new DAW - nahhhh - this one does not stand out - delete... :phones:
But, does the industry need another free DAW? I would say yes, it puts a new twist on the forced and nudged subscription models. I'm guessing when Behringer releases their new DAW, it will also start taking users from other monthly, yearly subscriptions and routinely paid upgrade plans. Along with the market seeing a lot more perpetual users sticking with older versions longer. Having a free DAW breaks the constraints of holding back features, additions and updates to help fluff up their next paid release.

It's always good for new models in the market to keep it competitive and create competition through innovation. Rather than just dangling carrots over the heads of communities to entice them to jump down the rabbit hole of subscription models. Just look at what Adobe is trying to do to their longtime, dedicated and loyal customer base. Where does it end?

Post

concealed identity wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:31 am Ok in that case, we all hope you'll survive!
Wel?! You and the 5 people with too much time on their hands still beta testing Luna.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

Post

eerie_audio wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:42 am But, does the industry need another free DAW? I would say yes, it puts a new twist on the forced and nudged subscription models.
If so why protect it with iLok, riddle me that?! I'm not against iLok for plugins.
You want the DAW to run as efficiently as it can, iLok has an overhead. Plugins if troublesome can be swapped out. A DAW is your platform, if that has issues you have nothing.

I'm just asking questions, don't shot the massager.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

Post

MJACau wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:59 pm
concealed identity wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:31 am Ok in that case, we all hope you'll survive!
Wel?! You and the 5 people with too much time on their hands still beta testing Luna.
KVR is the only place I've been where someone will try and fight you when you say that you hope they don't die :lol:

Post

MJACau wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:21 pm
eerie_audio wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:42 am But, does the industry need another free DAW? I would say yes, it puts a new twist on the forced and nudged subscription models.
If so why protect it with iLok, riddle me that?! I'm not against iLok for plugins.
You want the DAW to run as efficiently as it can, iLok has an overhead. Plugins if troublesome can be swapped out. A DAW is your platform, if that has issues you have nothing.

I'm just asking questions, don't shot the massager.
I'm just speculating, because there hasn't been an official release of information. But, there's probably a couple of reasons, the main one being that it makes it easier for people to demo their plug-ins, because the marketing and products are pretty much built into UA Connect. And you can just click a button and in a matter of seconds you can demo it, because it's already attached to an iLok. They can control the demo's expiration timer easily, along with copy protecting their software.

The other reason could be that one day LUNA may no longer be free, and they can simply keep control of their software through iLok. I'm hoping this doesn't happen, but you really never know. I think the main reason is to sell more products through the simple use of iLok to demo and protect their software.

I guess that's the tradeoff for using their free software, that's worth the cost of a fully fledged DAW, even though it still has a long way to go in the feature development department. I could see a lot of people using it along side their other DAWs to stem mix masters for an analog vibe.

Post

concealed identity wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:12 pm KVR is the only place I've been where someone will try and fight you when you say that you hope they don't die :lol:
Context always matters, bring up 'anything+iLOK' people act like you punched their dog.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

Post

You punched my dog?
I'll smash your f***ing DAW in!
Duh

Post

Spent some time today with Luna and was pleased. I like the Shape content and how you can load up 4 sounds and experiment blending them together. As I have Polymax it fits in well. Cheers UA.

Post

Version 1.6.2
June 25, 2024

Fixed
  • Resolved issues that could cause hangs and UI flickering when using ASIO devices after launching LUNA or changing sample rate or buffer size
  • Resolved a VST3_HostContext error message and potential crash that could occur instantiating various third party plug-ins
  • Resolved a windows-only issue that could prevent Spitfire and other virtual instruments from passing audio if instantiated as part of track creation
  • Resolved an issue that prevented import of AIFF files on Windows
  • Clicking the CUE OUTPUTS button if the window is already open now closes the window
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... ease-Notes

Post

What's automation like in this ? I haven't had a chance to get around trying it yet but curious

Post

Digivolt wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:33 am What's automation like in this ? I haven't had a chance to get around trying it yet but curious
https://www.youtube.com/live/99mWJ5tz03E?t=918s

Post

Version 1.6.3
July 9, 2024

Improved
  • LUNA sessions on Windows can now be opened from File Explorer by double-clicking the Open Session shortcut inside the directory
  • Ampex ATR-102 LUNA Extension Presets can now be filtered by Tags
Fixed
  • Resolved an issue that could cause overlapping text in the preset browser
  • Resolved a crash that could occur when instantiating Steinberg's The Grand 3 instrument
  • Resolved a crash that could occur when instantiating some Softube plug-ins on Windows


This patch has fixed a lot of other VSTi's crashing, the latest VPS Avenger 2.2 is working now.

Post

Two questions. Do you think UAD Luna on windows is going to take business from other DAW's once it get's stable. Lastly, everyone is getting bought out. Will UAD be sold in the future?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”