Airwindows Hit Record Meter: Free Mac/Windows/Linux CLAP/AU/VST3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Clearscreen wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:42 pm I've noticed that increasing the noise in a recording (eg adding tape noise etc from whatever plugin) usually sends the meter off into the high attention ratings. I'm off to make more pop noise records!! :tu:
You may be on to something. A little bit of noise could be helpful in filling in the blank spots.

jinxtigr please check your PM.

camsr wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:04 pm jinxtigr please check your PM.
Gonna respond publically: the executable isn't really the point here, it's just a thing JUCE does. I would say use one of the plugins :)

Again, there have been a bunch of people thinking they're supposed to run the standalone, but I never designed this around a standalone app. It's a thing JUCE makes alongside the plugins. There are apparently ways to use this but I don't really know much about it. If it's a huge problem I'll work out how to turn it off in the workflow: until then, just know that it's one of the things the Pamplejuce workflow lets you make, but I didn't intend for it to be there, it just kind of is. JUCE likes making standalone apps alongside the plugins. (it can be fun when the plugin is a softsynth: I've often run the Surge XT standalone and just hooked it up to a midi controller and played around!)

Clearscreen wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:45 pm It also occurred to me that what this is doing might also be a useful broadband noise detector?
Not really. It wants to see peak energy over RMS, balanced with the appropriate slew rate. Noise can do that by accident: like I showed in my video, the sound of rain is even better at pinning the meter, to the point where I use it to show various energy levels (complete with appropriate high frequency balance). Vinyl surface noise also works real well.

ALL of these things have been either successful records, or key parts of successful mixes, and you're welcome to put noise or rainfall or ocean sounds or vinyl surface noise into your mixes as an additional sound that people will like. They will!

You can also get Steve Perry to sing the chorus to Don't Stop Believin' and that'll spike up the meter even more… or the JBs to add a horn section (or Count Basie's big band). A broadband noise meter won't be paying attention to THAT, but this one will take particular notice. Go ahead and use Meter to bring in the right kind of overdubbed noise. Everyone from the Who to Burial to the Beatles have already tried that and enjoyed the result :)

Interesting stuff! After reading the discussion on gearspace about pink noise and slew rates it's making some more sense. Time to try some things out and see how it sounds!!

Some thoughts on this after more use. I am able to reliably get mixes to get the "Biggest" rating by using a lot of distortion / saturation on busses / mix bus. Not sure what that means exactly about the analysis here, but thought I would report.

Does it make sense to use this meter for genres that are by nature repetitive, like for example techno? Depending on style there may be a very sparse selection of sounds and a dominant kick drum. I've tried it on a track I'm working on and I'm not sure what I'm looking at. For example, the line seems to rise as long as there is some variation, but as soon as the kick goes away it falls quickly.

El°HYM wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:20 am
jamcat wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:45 pm
El°HYM wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:08 pm Does this also work on Ambient Hit Records? :?
No such thing.
:?

Eno's - Here Come The Warm Jets, hit Billboard on 151 for 6 Weeks in 1974.

Btw. - some of you should really check out this new Plugin, even if it might take some Time to fully grasp.
Here Come the Warm Jets is great but in no sense ambient music. Have you listened to it? Which track(s) would you call ambient?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Here come the warm jets is as much ambient as there is hair on Eno's head .
Nonethless , great album ..although Taking tiger mountain is my favourite
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Oh dear. :roll:
You can be creative in any right place on Earth, and not only in the wealthiest cities. Bring the world feelings from everywhere, and not only feelings of capitalistic or jail environment.
― Aleksey Vaneev

lingyai wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:53 pm
El°HYM wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:20 am
jamcat wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:45 pm
El°HYM wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:08 pm Does this also work on Ambient Hit Records? :?
No such thing.
:?

Eno's - Here Come The Warm Jets, hit Billboard on 151 for 6 Weeks in 1974.

Btw. - some of you should really check out this new Plugin, even if it might take some Time to fully grasp.
Here Come the Warm Jets is great but in no sense ambient music. Have you listened to it? Which track(s) would you call ambient?
Yes, I know that Album.
You can be creative in any right place on Earth, and not only in the wealthiest cities. Bring the world feelings from everywhere, and not only feelings of capitalistic or jail environment.
― Aleksey Vaneev

Return to “Effects”