Kraftur by Soundtheory, a multi band clipper

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Transfer policies like this one from Soundtheory are obviously designed to kill the 2nd hand market, to make the selling process so convoluted as to make the original owner not be bothered to sell. This also has the added benefit to make it look like hardly anyone sells on their product, and anyone that’s interested in their products has to buy new from the developer.

Caine123 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:31 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:04 pm Far worse than strange transfer fee policies are "no transfer possible" policies from developers like UAD and others. Just sayin'...
yes or DMG, i still dunno how they got such a reputation. bad service, have no good experience with them at all.
Their good reputation came a time when their plugin audio quality was top notch and they had a nice transfer policy. Now, that reputation has tarnished due to lack of support, lack of product refinements, and imposing bone-headed NFR policies.

I dont think very many consider DMG worth the cost these days. There are better more flexible options, as I mentioned in my previos post, than spending money with DED plugins (Dead End Devs).

plexuss wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:06 pm
Caine123 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:31 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:04 pm Far worse than strange transfer fee policies are "no transfer possible" policies from developers like UAD and others. Just sayin'...
yes or DMG, i still dunno how they got such a reputation. bad service, have no good experience with them at all.
Their good reputation came a time when their plugin audio quality was top notch and they had a nice transfer policy. Now, that reputation has tarnished due to lack of support, lack of product refinements, and imposing bone-headed NFR policies.

I dont think very many consider DMG worth the cost these days. There are better more flexible options, as I mentioned in my previos post, than spending money with DED plugins (Dead End Devs).
Not sure where you’re coming from with this, I have and use 3 (2 paid, 1 free) of their products in every project I work on. Clean GUI, extremely efficient CPU usage, and they do what they say on the tin very well, sometimes even more. I honestly can’t think of a compressor more flexible than TrackComp2 at the moment, but, that’s partly because I haven’t felt the need to look elsewhere after purchasing it.

I do agree, however, with the sentiment on NFR, another bad move combined with the transfer fee. Like I said before, I’m not a savvy businessman, but I would assume that more movement of your product equals more eyes and interest on your product, which in turn would encourage more honest customers to come and see and potentially acquire other things you offer, as long as you're doing quality work. Transfer fees and NFR licenses are both obstacles to that movement.

Regardless, I don’t plan on reselling any of my licenses anyway, because, as stated above, they work great for me, weren’t prohibitively expensive, and one of them was cheaper than regular because of the loyalty discount. But if I wanted to I could, at a flat price that doesn’t include numerous arbitrary variables. Win for me I guess?

Edit: edits in bold

SNBeatz wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:38 pm Not sure where you’re coming from with this, ...
I was being highly critical and generalizing so I could be concise. I think this thread needs such posting discipline.

atell wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:49 pm
Currently, if you buy software you are facing three options.

1. You pay for a subscription and can use the software while you are paying.

2. You pay for a maintenance period. You get updates and support as long as you pay and can keep using the software if you stop paying. This is usually limited, often artificially, by lack of support for OS updates. Restarting the maintenance after a break also usually comes with a penalty fee.

3. You pay for updates when they come out. The price for the update depends on the version you’re updating from. The fees are up to the discretion of the software vendor and may change. They usually add a few features and improvements, but they also make sure to only give out compatibility and bug fixes with paid updates. Sometimes you receive a free hot fix, but you can expect to pay for updates regularly.

Well, no, most companies actually use exactly the "new" business model that you're proposing, ie unlimited support for a fixed upfront cost. I have hundreds of plugins and there are very few exceptions to this. The few exceptions make me less interested in buying those plugins (IK have annoyed the f out of me for the last time, I don't buy Waves plugins).

It's fine if you want to add to that a second cost, but don't pretend that it's because your business model is your own invention and never heard of before. It would make much more sense to charge 200 dollars upfront instead of 100 and then an additional hidden 100.

I guide movement, but have no legs of my own.
I ensure a smooth transition, but never leave home.
I can grant access or create a wait,
Depending on the criteria at hand, not fate.
What am I?

... A transfer policy

I exist in the digital realm, a toolbox unseen,
Shaping sounds with a touch, a twist, a dial between.
I can soothe or distort, enhance or deny,
Transforming the aural experience, but making no sound myself.
What am I?

... An audio plugin

Good lord. Six pages of people bitching about license transfers. Poor impulse control is a thing. Self-mastery is also a thing.

I heard through the grapevine that SoundTheory released a new plugin. I'd kind of like to hear about it. I suppose I should lower my expectations and just hit up YouTube.

teilo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:10 am Good lord. Six pages of people bitching about license transfers. Poor impulse control is a thing. Self-mastery is also a thing.

I heard through the grapevine that SoundTheory released a new plugin. I'd kind of like to hear about it. I suppose I should lower my expectations and just hit up YouTube.
Correct. If the tooic of conversation is not interesting to you, go elsewhere. that is generally how it works. but discrediting people because they aren't talking about what you want to talk about is juvenile.

plexuss wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:26 am Correct. If the tooic of conversation is not interesting to you, go elsewhere. that is generally how it works. but discrediting people because they aren't talking about what you want to talk about is juvenile.
So is spending six pages on anything but the topic of the thread, and objecting when one is called out for it.

teilo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:41 am
plexuss wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:26 am Correct. If the tooic of conversation is not interesting to you, go elsewhere. that is generally how it works. but discrediting people because they aren't talking about what you want to talk about is juvenile.
So is spending six pages on anything but the topic of the thread, and objecting when one is called out for it.
You are free to tell us how you made out with the product, how it sounds, etc. Care to contribute or are you just going to complain that the conversation isn't going the way you want?

IMG_8534.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

you guys should move on, they dont give a shit it seems :). why argue, just dont buy their stuff.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I'm brand new to this topic, and there seems to have been some previous discussion around soundtheory licence transfers. So I don't want to mix my query up with that, or to repeat whatever may have already been stated.

My query is instead, specifically regarding this snippet from soundtheory's Support Page about "Non-Perpetual" duration as of 16 June 2024 (just 3 days ago.)

Soundtheory FAQ - From June 16, 2024 all Soundtheory licences will be limited to 25 years.png

Can anyone shed any light about why they are limiting their paid for licenses to only 25 years? And what they mean by "This policy has been introduced so that we comply with EU law regarding our licence transfer policy above."

Why would they need to limit the duration of their licences to comply with EU law? I've never heard about this before. Have other developers introduced such policies, perhaps in their "small print", that I should be looking out for, prior to any future purchase? And what EU laws are requiring such policies?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

How is the Aliasing on this Plugin. :? Also, I dont see any Plugin-Doctor Pics and already searched the whole thread? :shrug:
You can be creative in any right place on Earth, and not only in the wealthiest cities. Bring the world feelings from everywhere, and not only feelings of capitalistic or jail environment.
― Aleksey Vaneev

MrJubbly wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:23 am I'm brand new to this topic, and there seems to have been some previous discussion around soundtheory licence transfers. So I don't want to mix my query up with that, or to repeat whatever may have already been stated.

My query is instead, specifically regarding this snippet from soundtheory's Support Page about "Non-Perpetual" duration as of 16 June 2024 (just 3 days ago.)

Soundtheory FAQ - From June 16, 2024 all Soundtheory licences will be limited to 25 years.png

Can anyone shed any light about why they are limiting their paid for licenses to only 25 years? And what they mean by "This policy has been introduced so that we comply with EU law regarding our licence transfer policy above."

Why would they need to limit the duration of their licences to comply with EU law? I've never heard about this before. Have other developers introduced such policies, perhaps in their "small print", that I should be looking out for, prior to any future purchase? And what EU laws are requiring such policies?
The EU court decision on the matter specifically states that for a piece of software
to fall under the "exhaustion principle" which the decision is based on, it's lic must be permanent and unlimited in time. E.g. presumably, a non permanent lic is not subject to it.

*Of course who's to say why they chose to time limit the lic, I am only pointing out
some obvious logic that might lead to such a decision. Definitely don't take any
legal advice from some guy on the internet. :tu:

*Oh, one other obvious thing this suggests imo, is that allowing lic transfers at all,
would be purely voluntary for them.
Last edited by pekbro on Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Effects”