Ozone vs Fabfilter for mastering

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to decide whether to shell out for the mastering suite of plugins from Fabfilter which is obviously very expensive or snapping up Ozone advanced while it's on sale. I've used Ozone elements for a while and quite like it- I typically use the Shadpw Hills mastering compressor followed by rhe Ozone chain snd get relatively good results. I've demoed some Fabfilter stuff and really vibe with the GUI and the plugins sound great but they are so expensive! But to my ear, they sound better and aew easier to use than Ozone.

I'm wondering if the learned folks of KVR may be able to offer a comparison between Ozone advanced and Fabfilter, or throw out whatever other suggestions folks may have for a nice mastering chain.

Thanks a bunch 😎

I would suggest buying Ozone, as its a whole "suite" and almost everything you need. Fabfilter is absolutely great tools as well, but very pricey and you only get one plugin, whereas in ozone its almost like the full package. You could look up the youtube channel "Panaromama Mixing and Mastering". This guy is talking a lot about Ozone (and also using Fabfilter), maybe this will help you decide, when you can see how other pros are using these tools.

If you genuinely know what you’re doing: Fabfilter. Else Ozone.

Or don’t get a bundle and select and learn what you need as you need it.

Don't buy a suite, just understand what you need and buy it.

EQs
If you need an eq very likely the digital eq integrated to your daw is more than enough.

COMPS
About compression, it depend what you need to achieve, i'm not even using comps anymore on my masters, but i used pro-c when i needed one cause is fully featured and is good for that purpose. Otherwise if you need something more colorful just to give a touch to your mixes you may consider Mjuc, it's very nice and very cheap too

SATURATION
How many characters i have available? Cause i may even write a book, but let's keep it simple.
There are lots of different tools in the market, and also it depends on your style of music, mixing and mastering. Some doesn't even use saturation on master for various reasons, as artistic choice or to a more technical trying to avoid IMD.
I personally use Saturn2, but it costs, so if you are on a budget you may try Plamen, cause it's similar but way cheper.

CLIPPING
Another book to write here, but for the sake of being in a forum where a tip is what people needs, just check StandardClip, is very good and very cheap too, and that's what i use.

LIMITERS
Most limiter are not just limiters, i tested 50 and the decision to take depends on what you do first. So speaking about real limiters without other hidden processes inside, my pick is Voxengo Elephant, cause it's very versatile and i was even able to settle my own limiter changing parameters in the advanced section, but can be used from newbies too.

Then you may need other tools, it depends on the song, so if there is anything else you have in mind i didn't wrote about, just let me know.

I’d pick fabfilter over ozone (and i did)

but when mastering I generally use variety of tools.

Voxengo is worth looking at - if i only had to master with one vendor i think voxengo gives the most variety.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but when I use Pro-L2 for limiting, I found that it distorts the kick when only the kick is playing, I thought it had to do something with attack/release and oversampling, tried different algorithms too but no luck. When I add too much gain, this almost always happens. When in chorus, where everything is playing at the same time, there is no problem but when you hear the kick and the chords only, for instance, the kick is distorted.

Ozone does not do that, even though the settings are the same.

Any idea how to get rid of it?

Out of the two I’d go for Ozone when mastering. More tools, as good IMO, and much cheaper. Often the Music production bundle can be had for $299, and it comes with a lot more than just Ozone Advanced.

Fabfilter is great but I think Ozone is the better option here.

Ozone limiter > pro-l for sure here.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

swilow11 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:56 pm snapping up Ozone advanced while it's on sale.
Hobbyist here, since I do everything myself I use Ozone usually on the master buss or a separate "mastering" project. I like it, haven't tried Fabfilter but heard good things about them as well.

Just FYI that you can probably get a license for Ozone Advanced for cheaper by buying Izotope's Music Production Suite second hand either here or on Knobcloud, it'll probably cost around $100-$200 and you'll also get Neutron (which I don't use as much personally but is very powerful and has some nifty features for sure) as well as RX Standard (which I do use quite a bit).
quod tu es, ego fui, quod ego sum, tu eris

legendCNCD wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:00 am Ozone limiter > pro-l for sure here.
I don't know Pro L and generally I love fabfilter but Ozone Limiter is just too perfect. I don't see a point to improve something on which I see know default and many quality of life features...

I have pro mb and pro c2 and it is a close call with Ozone product also but the UI is generally more intuitive and responsive on fabfilter.

PebbleInAStream wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:05 am
swilow11 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:56 pm snapping up Ozone advanced while it's on sale.
Hobbyist here, since I do everything myself I use Ozone usually on the master buss or a separate "mastering" project. I like it, haven't tried Fabfilter but heard good things about them as well.

Just FYI that you can probably get a license for Ozone Advanced for cheaper by buying Izotope's Music Production Suite second hand either here or on Knobcloud, it'll probably cost around $100-$200 and you'll also get Neutron (which I don't use as much personally but is very powerful and has some nifty features for sure) as well as RX Standard (which I do use quite a bit).
For mixing, a stupidly simple advantage I see on fabfilter is that it is generally less power hungry.
I do like Neutron 4, presets are good and the UI, while not responsive than fabfilter is still perfectly fine but if you put a mix channel on every tracks it becomes a bit heavy, except if you just use Relay. I don't use much the visual mixer.

Fornicras wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:04 am Any idea how to get rid of it?
higher lookahaed value ?
go up to 5ms and see if that helps...

muki wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:46 am
Fornicras wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:04 am Any idea how to get rid of it?
higher lookahaed value ?
go up to 5ms and see if that helps...
Never used Pro L, but I was gonna suggest he needed to increase latency in some way.
I guess this is how :tu:

Jac459 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:06 am
legendCNCD wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:00 am Ozone limiter > pro-l for sure here.
I don't know Pro L and generally I love fabfilter but Ozone Limiter is just too perfect.
UI is generally more intuitive and responsive on fabfilter.
Yeah, I wish Ozone GUI would be faster, but its passable. Its the sound in the end, also one can now hear what is done to the signal on different processes with the latest Ozone, which is fantastic. The limiter eating peaks sounds are great pokey drums 8) gotta sample them... delta on and record on!

Prrpt rpt prt präp prp :hihi: :help:
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I use this, and it's a lot simpler than it looks. Great sound, amazing control over the final result. Check the new Maor Applebaum presets. Now on sale.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/plug-ins/ ... ng-bundle/
Last edited by standalone on Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Return to “Effects”