2024: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2024)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:13 pm Sooner or later I'd like to get a PTDelay delay from bug brand. I have quite a few delay pedals already so I find this more appealing than a pedal, with it's features. Not super
cheap, but not bad. So long as you can actually get one from him. heh

https://youtu.be/qrzlkRbN28I
The Bugbrand PT delay is great. Really nice when combined with his phaser and filters. The last time I talked to Tom, it sounded like he has help assembling stuff now and keeps more stuff in stock. When I ordered my row of BugBrand modules it was all in stock.

I'd really like to add a DRM2 or Chirper to my Ciat-Lonbarde/Lorre-Mill setup at some point this year.

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:13 pm Sooner or later I'd like to get a PTDelay delay from bug brand. I have quite a few delay pedals already so I find this more appealing than a pedal, with it's features. Not super
cheap, but not bad. So long as you can actually get one from him. heh

https://youtu.be/qrzlkRbN28I
i have a bb pt delay in my bb modular rack. 8)

Speaking of BugBrand, looks like Tom just released a new Weevil module!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-xZWe8jd2M
They are in stock now.
https://www.bugbrand.co.uk/product/weevil-module/

justin3am wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:34 am Speaking of BugBrand, looks like Tom just released a new Weevil module!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-xZWe8jd2M
They are in stock now.
https://www.bugbrand.co.uk/product/weevil-module/
yeah, a fundraiser for jamaica lane studios :tu:

toms a nice guy too, i met him years back.
he was on tour, doing sound for omar soleyman, they did a night in a burlesque bar in manchester. so that was a bit weird, watching a muslim musician, in a bar, where the barmaids were all wearing negliges and basques...
had a good chat with him, while trying to avoid staring at young ladies in underwear (i was still happy in my marriage at that point....)

The Jamaica Street Studio Weevil is also available! It's more like the board-weevils of yore.
https://www.bugbrand.co.uk/product/jss-weevil/

That's a great story! I can only imagine it was an amazing (though slightly awkward) experience. Certainly memorable!

justin3am wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:05 am The Jamaica Street Studio Weevil is also available! It's more like the board-weevils of yore.
https://www.bugbrand.co.uk/product/jss-weevil/
ah cool!
i just skimmed the email earlier.

i love my board weevil, and my weevil module!! even my postcard!
whyterabbyt has one of the earlier ones too, i missed those :cry:

I'm kinda torn between upgrading my computer (and my brain) or just ditching the computer stuff as much as possible.
Drum machine programming is much faster and easier, but mixing makes the high fidelity. And audio costs so much.
Computer parts are relatively cheap in comparison. But my base computer system is not very expandable. I just don't know what to do.
Even if I got a new computer, it'd be cheaper than most audio gear, but the the time and learning curve is a lot.
So i'm just not really sure.

egbert101 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:38 am
mjolnir wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:44 pm i'm getting tired of computer-based DAW stuff so I'm hoping to get some kind of non-networked, non-internet, audio-only type of gear.
I'm not sure yet which. But it'd be nice to have some kind of standalone sampling drum machine again.
Tired of the corporate shills in the software industry? Welcome to the corporate shills of the hardware industry!
wow, that's about right, unfortunately!

foosnark wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:41 pm The Bruxa hype not only has me trying new things with Strega (and messing with Sandman Pro some more, as well as sticking things into Delay+ feedback loops) but... looking at guitar pedals again. I guess that was inevitable.

Keeley Caverns V2 seems interesting but also frustrating. Why are the dry/wet knobs linited to 50%? And that modulated reverb sounds pretty great but I bet it would be much more lush in stereo. But then, it's honestly probably not far off from Raum anyway.

If I do let myself get drawn back into FX pedals, nothing will stop me from grabbing Walrus Slöer (and then probably wondering why don't I just stick to plugins and Eurorack). And Red Panda Tensor again too.
I have many times lusted after fx boxes for a long time, but usually waiting for them to pop up second-hand only to find out that I often prefer ITB fx. I guess I should go fully OTB for some projects to really push the pedals' capacities. Hoarded a few pedals that I should take for some spins soon, like the Collision Devices Black Hole Symmetry, Pro Co Deucetone RAT, Mooer Ocean Device and Boss DD-500... where have I been lately?

Now I'm looking at && Wear & Tear. I love the sound at times and it seems pretty versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_od8g7w_E

Which means I need to go back and check out tape plugins to make sure I'm not going to do something unnecessary.

Also Noise Engineering just announced Gamut Repetitor, which seems like it's their answer to Marbles. A bit simpler than Marbles in some way, but a little more immediate. No slow gradual mutation, but direct control over when it randomizes. And I've always wanted CV control over Length (and/or a reset) on Marbles... hmm.

gaf_thit wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:48 pm I have many times lusted after fx boxes for a long time, but usually waiting for them to pop up second-hand only to find out that I often prefer ITB fx.
I went through a couple of waves of using pedals and felt the same.

Even when they sounded good I felt like they didn't offer a better experience, unlike with Eurorack. When I realized I was using Red Panda Particle strictly via MIDI (awkward as that is) to get better access to its features than the knobs allowed, that was when I gave up on pedals last time.

mjolnir wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:38 pm I'm kinda torn between upgrading my computer (and my brain) or just ditching the computer stuff as much as possible.
Drum machine programming is much faster and easier, but mixing makes the high fidelity. And audio costs so much.
Computer parts are relatively cheap in comparison. But my base computer system is not very expandable. I just don't know what to do.
Even if I got a new computer, it'd be cheaper than most audio gear, but the the time and learning curve is a lot.
I have found a happy place where I do most of my tracking outside of the computer, completely. This only works well for me for electronic stuff. I then take the stems to the computer and do most of the construction and post processing in the box.

Chopping up tracks and managing automation is a pain in hardware, but I find recording to be a pain on the computer. I just turn on my mixer/recorder, hit record, and just jam all afternoon without regard to where things start or stop. I then take those stems and cut them up into tracks/loops, whatever, and do arrangement and processing ITB. What makes this reasonable is having enough tracks so that I can record all of my inputs, my effects outputs, and my main mix outputs all at once. This way I have the live fx if I want them, or not if I don't.

I will say though, that if you're looking to save money, this is not the way.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:19 am
mjolnir wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:38 pm I'm kinda torn between upgrading my computer (and my brain) or just ditching the computer stuff as much as possible.
I have found a happy place where I do most of my tracking outside of the computer, completely. This only works well for me for electronic stuff. I then take the stems to the computer and do most of the construction and post processing in the box.

Chopping up tracks and managing automation is a pain in hardware, but I find recording to be a pain on the computer. I just turn on my mixer/recorder, hit record, and just jam all afternoon without regard to where things start or stop. I then take those stems and cut them up into tracks/loops, whatever, and do arrangement and processing ITB. What makes this reasonable is having enough tracks so that I can record all of my inputs, my effects outputs, and my main mix outputs all at once. This way I have the live fx if I want them, or not if I don't.

I will say though, that if you're looking to save money, this is not the way.
dude, you and i are similar in this psychology.
i just recently decided to jamm in all my riffs in recording mode and freeze them to samples.
then, later on, in REAPER, I get their raw BPM and shift them to more standard BPM's and save the files as WAV again.
then, last step, load them as needed like legos for arranging in REAPER with all the effects.

This technique is what I'm doing instead of using an outboard recorder which I wish I had again.
You are totally right, though. i'm doing it in 2 steps instead of one.

But as long as i play the riffs in OK, it's okay.
I just recently finally found REAPER's MIDI input quantize (righ-click on track record icon).
Also, quantize triplet areas separately than the main areas in 4/4 common time for 6/8 or 12/4 compatibility.

Peace be with you, MIR.

foosnark wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:58 am Now I'm looking at && Wear & Tear. I love the sound at times and it seems pretty versatile.
That IS pretty cool! Hadn't heard of &&. Will be checking them out. :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Anyone tried the Zlosynth Kaseta? Im thinking of picking one up, as a (Cosmos-ish) long tape delay (up to 5 mins it seems), but also because it seems like its a fairly nice euro panel frontend for the Daisy, a lot more controls than the patch.Init() has.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”