koma chromaplane - em synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:31 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:30 am
vurt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:43 am i really like the tuner too :oops:
Yeah, its nice that they provide one, as well as a mechanism for tuning the device itself. Lets hope noone conflates those two things.
indeed!

re the price, i did a search, and it points to the koma page, i saw 99 quid.
not available for purchase, and that may have just been a placeholder price of course? because that does seem a bit too good to be true?
At 99 quid I'd buy two.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Post

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:29 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:44 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:43 am i really like the tuner too :oops:
I feel the exact opposite. The moment I need a tiny screw to tune something, I'm out.
tuner, not tuning.
although, i see why they went that route for the tuning too, they want a completely flat surface, so knobs would have been out of the question, even the patch bay for teh fx is hidden on the side :shrug:
I don’t think it would have been difficult to have something on the side that let you pick preset tunings for different scales and keys. The usual suspects plus a dozen user presets. Something like that would have made this pretty interesting, but as is, a Rise can get me similar results with the flexibility that I like.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Post

i hope a lot of people feel the same as you, then i might actually get one of the first batch :D

Post

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:26 am
pugilistas wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:27 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:44 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:43 am i really like the tuner too :oops:
I feel the exact opposite. The moment I need a tiny screw to tune something, I'm out.
Next thing, they''ll be wanting you to tune strings, or something else suitably evil!
My guitars don’t need to be tuned every time I want to play a new scale.
But I do see guitarists having to tune during performances all the time. :)

I picked up an electric autoharp before I considered that it meant tuning 36 strings. My hands sure got tired.

On this chromaplane you could set it up with dual pentatonic scales, or modal arrangements that would play in some associated keys. Yeah, it's a limitation from Chromaticism, but everything has limitations of some sort.

Post

yup, its just its own thing. if you dont like/need such a thing, then its not going to be for you whatever, if it interests you, you decide if the limitations are something you can work with?

Post

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:28 am yup, its just its own thing. if you dont like/need such a thing, then its not going to be for you whatever, if it interests you, you decide if the limitations are something you can work with?
It’s just that in 2024 it seems a very odd limitation. We’re not talking about a stringed instrument, we’re talking about an electronic instrument.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Post

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:34 pm We’re not talking about a stringed instrument, we’re talking about an electronic instrument.
properly, we're talking about an electromagnetic instrument.

(with so-called 'electric' guitars also being electromagnetic.)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Post

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:34 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:28 am yup, its just its own thing. if you dont like/need such a thing, then its not going to be for you whatever, if it interests you, you decide if the limitations are something you can work with?
It’s just that in 2024 it seems a very odd limitation. We’re not talking about a stringed instrument, we’re talking about an electronic instrument.
so its a limitation you dont want to work with, fair enough.
im not so bothered, its not like ill be tuning it often, cant even remember the last time or where my guitar tuner(s) even are :shrug:

Post

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:49 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:34 pm We’re not talking about a stringed instrument, we’re talking about an electronic instrument.
properly, we're talking about an electromagnetic instrument.

(with so-called 'electric' guitars also being electromagnetic.)
tbf, my acoustics are battery powered :shrug:

Post

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:02 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:34 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:28 am yup, its just its own thing. if you dont like/need such a thing, then its not going to be for you whatever, if it interests you, you decide if the limitations are something you can work with?
It’s just that in 2024 it seems a very odd limitation. We’re not talking about a stringed instrument, we’re talking about an electronic instrument.
so its a limitation you dont want to work with, fair enough.
im not so bothered, its not like ill be tuning it often, cant even remember the last time or where my guitar tuner(s) even are :shrug:
A guitar is different, because you automatically get a wide chromatic range of notes, but in this, it’s more like a piano with a very small range. If you tune it chromatically, you only get a subset of the notes that are in your key, or go 12 tone and get all Sun Ra.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Post

my point was more, i rarely care if something is "in tune" i dont really do "music" i do art, paint with sound. chromaticism, is irrelevant.

Post

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:14 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:02 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:34 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:28 am yup, its just its own thing. if you dont like/need such a thing, then its not going to be for you whatever, if it interests you, you decide if the limitations are something you can work with?
It’s just that in 2024 it seems a very odd limitation. We’re not talking about a stringed instrument, we’re talking about an electronic instrument.
so its a limitation you dont want to work with, fair enough.
im not so bothered, its not like ill be tuning it often, cant even remember the last time or where my guitar tuner(s) even are :shrug:
A guitar is different, because you automatically get a wide chromatic range of notes, but in this, it’s more like a piano with a very small range. If you tune it chromatically, you only get a subset of the notes that are in your key, or go 12 tone and get all Sun Ra.
You say Sun Ra like its a bad thing.... :)
(Saw him once, and turned out he was doing his big band tour, playing Ellington and such. The man was from Saturn.)

Already pondering what particular circle of fifths tunings might work with this.

Post

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:33 am my point was more, i rarely care if something is "in tune" i dont really do "music" i do art, paint with sound. chromaticism, is irrelevant.
That’s fine, and I do that a lot too, but I also need the flexibility to easily pick a scale and use it quickly. What I’m asking for wouldn’t affect you, so I’m not sure why you’re arguing with my opinion. 16 preset scales and 16 user scales and I’d be all over this. As it is, it would mostly gather dust. I can already basically do what it does with my Rise or Linnstrument.

I guess it depends on the price, which I couldn’t find. If it’s a $300ish, it could be a fun little toy, but I would also have to find a spot for it, which is harder to find than money for me. It’s certainly a cool idea. I just think that with a bit more flexibility, it would be a lot more useful to more people.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Post

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:23 am
vurt wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:33 am my point was more, i rarely care if something is "in tune" i dont really do "music" i do art, paint with sound. chromaticism, is irrelevant.
That’s fine, and I do that a lot too, but I also need the flexibility to easily pick a scale and use it quickly. What I’m asking for wouldn’t affect you, so I’m not sure why you’re arguing with my opinion. 16 preset scales and 16 user scales and I’d be all over this. As it is, it would mostly gather dust. I can already basically do what it does with my Rise or Linnstrument.
not "arguing", just offering an alternative opinion, i didnt say you were wrong, just explained where/why my needs might be different :P

it would still need the same method of tuning though, for the 16 user scales. or a different surface area for both knobs and the x/y plane.

yes of course, price is going to be a big factor, if its more than £350 probably less of an impulse, and more a lets hold back type purchase, see if the price drops or firmware updates change it perhaps...
im going to assume, based on the things i own by koma, it wont be too expensive though, so even if its a short term/one trick pony, for me, its good enough.

Post

not sure if anyone mentioned it, but looks like this is going to be a kickstarter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ko ... instrument
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”