Kraftur by Soundtheory, a multi band clipper

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:41 am From the dev over at GS about crossovers:

'What you're seeing there is mostly a linear phase response with some deviation at around 15Hz where the internal high pass filter rolls off. There are no negative consequences to this behaviour for mastering'
huh?

phase response is identical regardless if you pick multiband, single band, or DRY.

furthermore zero-latency linear-phase filtering is physically impossible and Kraftur has 0 samples of Latency reported.
and this isn't "mostly linear" - in fact it's far from it.
i don't see any settings anywhere to turn Kraftur into linear-phase either.
Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 22.34.00.jpg

As i said, it's not a problem in on it's own - but it's something i like to have control over when i'm mastering. Linear vs minimal does sound different and depending on the source, sometimes one works better than the other.

quick edit: I glanced over GS thread, apparently devs are either lying or they have no clue what they even released.
That is... concerning.

what i do appreciate is this:
it's the first plugin with HDR colors for GUI.
On my built-in MacBook Pro Display, it makes the clip literally shine from the screen. It's pretty crazy and looks insanely cool. I can't screenshot it and i can't really take a photo of it, but if you have an HDR screen, do try switching between SDR and HDR :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kraftur (pink) vs Pro-MB (red) (in minimal-phase mode, with crossover at 350/3500 (same as kraftur).
promb vs kraftur.jpg
so yeah, 24dB/8ve crossovers + AA filter at 15KHz, all minimal phase.

atell is either lying or doesn't even know what they're selling in GS thread.

(I updated to 1.0.2 and phase response remains the same.)

i don't know about you, but this feels really unprofessional. :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hmm, i cant claim to know much about it,
i own plugin dr, tho i never used it or bothered to try and figure it out.

Anyway, inteteresting... I just posted what
he said for u guys who were discussing it.
Hoping it would clear things up, seems like
thats not the case. :shrug:

So.... what does it sound like ?
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:04 am So.... what does it sound like ?
Irrelevant!
Let's attack the dev furthermore!
Where are the pitchforks?

Like a multiband distortion
martinjuenke wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:12 am Let's attack the dev furthermore!
Hm, considering the dev was extremely condescending towards the guy over at GS that merely pointed out that the filters are minimal phase, don’t you think it’s just a bit justified?

martinjuenke wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:12 am
Irrelevant!
Let's attack the dev furthermore!
There is a huge number of devs that don't get "attacked".

I can't quite figure out the relation here, hmmm.

Also, calling someone out on their bs is "attacking" now?

Ploki wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:01 am
Cool so you've tried it then ?
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:30 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:01 am
Cool so you've tried it then ?
Yes, i did a longish post about it on the previous page.

SoundTheory only releases top-notch plugs that are very musical and useful. I just picked this up and I'm so excited. More clarity, punch, and warmth without the artifacts! I can't wait to try. I tired eyes and ears need tools that make "dialing-in" easier and quicker. Am I correct that this provides a "soft clip?" I'm downloading now . . .

tommyzai wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:00 am SoundTheory only releases top-notch plugs that are very musical and useful. I just picked this up and I'm so excited. More clarity, punch, and warmth without the artifacts! I can't wait to try. I tired eyes and ears need tools that make "dialing-in" easier and quicker. Am I correct that this provides a "soft clip?" I'm downloading now . . .
No, they only released one plugin that SOME people think is very musical and useful. Not much of a track record. And reviews of Krafrur are mixed in the area of usefulness and some questions as to "very musical".
Last edited by plexuss on Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I like it very much though. Surprisingly, I like it more on individual tracks rather than the 2bus. Even without clipping, it does something when you tweak the bands and saturate the mids and high a little. I mostly use it to bring more clarity or to layer the sounds on a track.

This thing can de-harsh the high end quite nicely too. So smooth. And I love the Match function.

Kretch wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:06 am I like it very much though. Surprisingly, I like it more on individual tracks rather than the 2bus. Even without clipping, it does something when you tweak the bands and saturate the mids and high a little. I mostly use it to bring more clarity or to layer the sounds on a track.
I mistakenly gave you a full :tu: but unfortunately I'll have to take ½ of that back, so you only get ½ a :tu: due to the use of '2bus'.
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:10 am
Kretch wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:06 am I like it very much though. Surprisingly, I like it more on individual tracks rather than the 2bus. Even without clipping, it does something when you tweak the bands and saturate the mids and high a little. I mostly use it to bring more clarity or to layer the sounds on a track.
I mistakenly gave you a full :tu: but unfortunately I'll have to take ½ of that back, so you only get ½ a :tu: due to the use of '2bus'.
Hehe. Fair enough.

Return to “Effects”