GForce OB-1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have to say, this sounds really nice, but my god the CPU use is bonkers. There are some presets that use more than entire tracks I've written using a whole bunch of plugins :o

Makes impOSCar 3 some positively frugal in comparison :lol:
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

I don't get the CPU utilisation comments working great on a very very old overlooked 3700k (11 years out of date)

I don't find impOSCar 3 particularly heavy on the CPU, even with the default patch which is all wavetables. Maybe it's better optimised for Apple silicon, possibly?

For OB-1 - is it just the unison patches that are heavy, as it's using all oscillators at once..?

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:09 am f**k ME DEAD!!! Every second SEQ patch is an awesome bassline from the Halcyon days of EBM. Some of the Textures and Effects patches are just f**king amazing. This thing is an absolute f**king animal! Best 40 quid I've ever spent.
As soon as I head some of those EBM sequences I was sold.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

With whatever patch came up first (Biggu Reibu), all effects off, a four note chord shows 15-17% on the Ableton CPU monitor (M1 Max MBP), which is one core I think. 16 note unison climbs to 32-35%.

Not lightweight but reasonable for me.

Another Oberheim!?! It seems like they are pushing out another plugin every month. At some point I am going to have to say no.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

Rabid wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:43 pm Another Oberheim!?! It seems like they are pushing out another plugin every month. At some point I am going to have to say no.
I said no to the DMX, but my primary instrument is drums. :hihi:

I'm really liking the OB-1. It can sound quite different from their other Oberheim stuff.
If they come out with something else from them, I'm going to have to think long and hard about it.
I'm just about overloaded with GForce Oberheim stuff.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:11 pm Wish gforce would innovate and create something original.
They are: They are creating a catalogue of officially endorsed Oberheim emulations.

still would much rather have an Xpander emulation than all these older & rarer Oberheims...

judging lazily by demos it also is really sounding like "just another synth among the million synths I already have" to me. maybe I'm getting a bit cynical, but it's harder and harder for anything to stand out these days. we're over-saturated. I really don't need 6 different Oberheim synth plugins all made by the same manufacturer.

and to be honest... they really all sound pretty much the same. people like to assert otherwise, but I've yet to actually hear it.

Xpander is a great call.

Wasn't expecting this so soon after the OB-X. Geforce seemed to go quiet for a period of time but on it now and great to see their OB's being endorsed by Oberheim!

While the price (introductory) is great, and the sound is great, this is all feeding into the collecting mentality. Do you really need to collect software synths? Do you really need six different Oberheim synths? I am just as guilty, I have several GForce (not Geforce) Oberheim synths, they're all superior IMO to both Arturia and Cherry Audio but... enough is enough, at least for me anyway.
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:31 am While the price (introductory) is great, and the sound is great, this is all feeding into the collecting mentality. Do you really need to collect software synths? Do you really need six different Oberheim synths? I am just as guilty, I have several GForce (not Geforce) Oberheim synths, they're all superior IMO to both Arturia and Cherry Audio but... enough is enough, at least for me anyway.
This Brother is telling you the Truth. I still do like GForce - Oberheims in general, just choose wisely. :phones:
You can be creative in any right place on Earth, and not only in the wealthiest cities. Bring the world feelings from everywhere, and not only feelings of capitalistic or jail environment.
― Aleksey Vaneev

egbert101 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:31 am While the price (introductory) is great, and the sound is great, this is all feeding into the collecting mentality. Do you really need to collect software synths? Do you really need six different Oberheim synths?
Indeed one doesn't, but the benefit of having a range is that you can pick the one or ones that are most interesting to you.

I think GF are more into preserving Tom's legacy and catalog (and likely sending some of the proceeds his way via official licensing) so that he benefits somewhat from these instruments, but I personally also have enough "Oberheims" in my instrument collection now too. I'd like to see where they go after they move on from Oberheims, to be honest, unless they really are going to tackle some of the later instruments (Xp/M12, M6/M1000, Marion stuff etc) but I'm not sure that's really where their heart is, which seems more firmly set on the earlier stuff.

beely wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:50 am Indeed one doesn't, but the benefit of having a range is that you can pick the one or ones that are most interesting to you.

I think GF are more into preserving Tom's legacy and catalog (and likely sending some of the proceeds his way via official licensing) so that he benefits somewhat from these instruments, but I personally also have enough "Oberheims" in my instrument collection now too. I'd like to see where they go after they move on from Oberheims, to be honest, unless they really are going to tackle some of the later instruments (Xp/M12, M6/M1000, Marion stuff etc) but I'm not sure that's really where their heart is, which seems more firmly set on the earlier stuff.
Part of the reason why I like GForce and other similar companies (u-he, Cherry Audio, Togu Audio Line) is that they're more driven by passion rather than profit. And I hope that never changes but you know, we're all human.
<list your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”