whose singing voice do you love or hate?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vocaloid

mjudge55 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:28 pm The thing is though if Mazzy Star had sucked hard for the same reasons as the folks they directly influenced then I'd certainly blame them.
Why blame the Beatles for every band and their goddamn grandmother wanting to release their own Sgt Peppers album?? It's pathetic but the Beatles aren't "guilty". They can't control what other bands do.
It just happens they were good and got ripped off by people who are probably technically more proficient but don't have anything to say.
Yea that's a good way to put it. It's what I was trying to say with the "too cool for school" bit.
The bands that "borrowed" come across as "musicians" as opposed to mediums spirit work through to get an idea across.
Like Jim Morrison, I consider him a medium and the lead singer for Maroon 5 a musician.
The latter lacks soul and sounds like a preset in a guitar effects processor.
He probably knows music theory and well golly gosh darnit he just *has* to [sophisticated British accent] sing a pentatonic scale in B minor flat because that's what "musicians" do really [/sophisticated British accent].
Fiona is in between that imo. A musician and medium.
Fiona Apple I do not like
Her last album Fetch the Bolt Cutters is her best work yet. I had a couple people who aren't into Fiona listen to it and admitted they dug it. Which means you'll like it too and become a hardcore Fiona fan and regret ever not wanting to be her dog.

"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Hate Bob Dylan
Love Neil Diamond
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:50 pm
Love Neil Diamond
Now we're talking. :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kry7XC5JIY

Neil Diamond = zzzzzzzz

VOODOO U wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:21 pm Neil Diamond = zzzzzzzz
He always speaks very highly of you.

Does he? I wouldn't know. Everytime he talks I fall asleep.

He's performing a valuable service therein.

VOODOO U wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:59 pmSomething tells me you have fantasies about Morrissey being your french maid and you're in denial.
Marr's songwriting is really good. And as a guitarist I do get a bit pissed off of his ability to flow from one odd chord to the next and make it sound beautiful. What a bastard that Marr is.
Thing is, I don't rate the Smiths at all, with or without Morrissey. I don't hear anything of value in any part of it, Morrissey is just the last straw. They never had a Top 40 single or a Top 20 album in Australia. They're just nobodies here, which is as it should be.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:52 pm
VOODOO U wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:59 pmSomething tells me you have fantasies about Morrissey being your french maid and you're in denial.
Marr's songwriting is really good. And as a guitarist I do get a bit pissed off of his ability to flow from one odd chord to the next and make it sound beautiful. What a bastard that Marr is.
Thing is, I don't rate the Smiths at all, with or without Morrissey. I don't hear anything of value in any part of it, Morrissey is just the last straw. They never had a Top 40 single or a Top 20 album in Australia. They're just nobodies here, which is as it should be.
Yeah, you don't need the Smiths, you have Air Supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWdZEumNRmI

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:36 pm He's performing a valuable service therein.
I wasn't finished. Everytime he talks i fall asleep and then wake up with a full recollection of an operatic saga I dreamt and get to sing and share with the whole world.
BONES wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:52 pm Thing is, I don't rate the Smiths at all, with or without Morrissey. I don't hear anything of value in any part of it, Morrissey is just the last straw. They never had a Top 40 single or a Top 20 album in Australia. They're just nobodies here, which is as it should be.
The Smiths never had a top 40 single in the land down under?? Well shit. I hate them now. I'm gonna burn all their records.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:58 pm

Don't forget Silverchair.

We sent Air Supply across the Pacific so we didn't have to put up with them. Seemed to work a treat. Silverchair's success, of course, was down to one of the band member's fathers being a record company executive. It ain't what you know...
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

And what excuse do you guys have for Crowded House?

VOODOO U wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:07 am
ghettosynth wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:58 pm

Don't forget Silverchair.
Had to look that up because I never heard of them. Thing is, I can't judge them individually because I hated grunge from start to finish, from top to bottom. If all of a sudden the world was completely devoid of all grunge and none of that music ever existed, I can't think of a single song that I would miss, not one.

During that period I stopped listening to radio in the car, at all. To this day I don't. I have one CD in my car, it is a morse code training CD and it's always in the player. I really never listen to it, but it's always funny when someone new gets in the passenger seat and starts futzing with the radio. I say "there's a CD in there, just hit play."

di dah
di dah
di dah
di dah
di dah

di dah
di dah
di dah
di dah
di dah

ROFL for reals. I'm laughing writing this. Then I turn it off and laugh all the way to our destination. The car stereo is for listening to my mixes in the car, in the driveway. Every once in a while I'll put it on AM radio while I'm driving so that I can hear the local muslim station fade in and out with the noise. I'm only assuming that it's muslim because religion is almost all that's left on AM radio and they definitely play music that sounds clearly like muslim prayer music. I can't understand a word that they're saying, but it's a bit like ASMR. The reason they fade in and out is because I took the antenna off a few years back so I didn't have to think about going through the car wash.

My car is a BYOMAH zone, strictly enforced.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”