Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JoaquinAce wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 pm If there is one trance sub genre with many sub sub genre's, it is Psytrance. From Goa to Full-on to Progressive to Israeli full-on etc etc, lol. It used to be Goa psytrance long long ago when we were talking full moon parties, but like all other types of dance music it all became sub genre'dized over the years. At least you can't go wrong with the short triple bass after the kick and then use changes in velocity of those triples to give some movement to it.
The term short triple bass is foreign to me. What does that mean? Triplets? A 3 layer bass? 16th notes?

k(b)bb

All 16th notes, k is kick, b is bass, (b) is bass with lower velocity. That's a typical psytrance bass formula
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Btw as far as "Israeli fullon" goes, there are many tracks with vocals in that genre, like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRevO_6Fqi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbs160WlVEk

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 pm k(b)bb

All 16th notes, k is kick, b is bass, (b) is bass with lower velocity. That's a typical psytrance bass formula
So if the kick is all 1/4 notes, falling on 1, 2, 3, 4, then dividing the grid into 16ths, the bass would fall on the following 16th slots through each bar? 2,3,4...6,7,8...10,11,12...14,15,16 with the soft bass falling on 2, 6, 10 and 14? Or does the bass also fall on 1,5,9 and 13 and thus the soft bass falling on those beats?

Maybe playing me an example of what you're talking about would help, though the tempos are so fast I usually can't really follow the bass anyway.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm

So if the kick is all 1/4 notes, falling on 1, 2, 3, 4, then dividing the grid into 16ths, the bass would fall on the following 16th slots through each bar? 2,3,4...6,7,8...10,11,12...14,15,16 with the soft bass falling on 2, 6, 10 and 14?
yes, exactly.

You don't necessary have different velocities, you may use kbbb pattern and add a sidechain or fake sidechain (LFO tool) instead to make the first note of the "bbb" sound a bit softer.

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6njLK5R6vY0

Alernatively, you may use kbBb/kbbB/kbBb/kbbB pattern where b is a bass note, and B is a bass note octave higher, that's more typical for faster tracks (145 bpm and above)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na48LissNrw

Importatly, the actual length of your bass notes must be a bit shorter than 16th.

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:24 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm

So if the kick is all 1/4 notes, falling on 1, 2, 3, 4, then dividing the grid into 16ths, the bass would fall on the following 16th slots through each bar? 2,3,4...6,7,8...10,11,12...14,15,16 with the soft bass falling on 2, 6, 10 and 14?
yes, exactly.

You don't necessary have different velocities, you may use kbbb pattern and add a sidechain or fake sidechain (LFO tool) instead to make the first note of the "bbb" sound a bit softer.

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6njLK5R6vY0

Alernatively, you may use kbBb/kbbB/kbBb/kbbB pattern where b is a bass note, and B is a bass note octave higher, that's more typical for faster tracks (145 bpm and above)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na48LissNrw

Importatly, the actual length of your bass notes must be a bit shorter than 16th.
Thanks. While I have you, what are your go to synths for Trance? I have pretty much everything so nothing you name should be a problem. I'm assuming maybe these?

Serum
Spire
Rapid

Maybe Dune 2, Avenger?

Virus TI (or Viper), Serum, Spire, Rapid, Sylenth, Massive, Diversion, Bazille, Dune2, Lush-101.

Serum, Spire and Rapid should totally suffice actually. Not sure about Dune2, it has somehow softer sound than what you want for (psy)trance, I use it mostly for pads or occasional FM stuff. I don't have Avenger.

Yeah, Serum, Spire and Rapid should totally get you there.
A few good drum samples probably also won't hurt. You can make a lot of the synthy drums yourself, if you want to, but for this kind of stuff it can't hurt to throw in a few real percussion samples as well.

By the way, I really liked the tracks of yours you posted earlier, recursive one :tu:

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:42 pm Virus TI (or Viper), Serum, Spire, Rapid, Sylenth, Massive, Diversion, Bazille, Dune2, Lush-101.

Serum, Spire and Rapid should totally suffice actually. Not sure about Dune2, it has somehow softer sound than what you want for (psy)trance, I use it mostly for pads or occasional FM stuff. I don't have Avenger.
Don't have Viper, Sylenth1, or Diversion, but I do have Thorn and I like some of the harder sounds. It might be usable.

As far as sounds being too "soft" in my trek through Youtube, I have found some Trance with very mellow, even orchestral, sounds. I guess it depends on what you're doing.

I am discovering that Trance has as wide a soundscape as pop music.

Delta Sign wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 pm Yeah, Serum, Spire and Rapid should totally get you there.
A few good drum samples probably also won't hurt. You can make a lot of the synthy drums yourself, if you want to, but for this kind of stuff it can't hurt to throw in a few real percussion samples as well.

By the way, I really liked the tracks of yours you posted earlier, recursive one :tu:
I've got tons of drum producing software (Battery, Stix) and also purchased that huge sample pack from some oddball site that was suggested a while ago. I think I've got like 50,000 drum samples between everything I've bought and downloaded. So that shouldn't be a problem. Picking just the right ones to fit the track, that's going to be the problem.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 am
vurt wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:37 am 3 words.
banco de gaia.
Wow. That's a blast from the past. I wore out my old Banco De Gaia cassette tape back in the 90s. Went to see him live at a Megadog with Steve Hillage's System 7 ... happy days.
manchester by any chance?
if so chances are i hugged you or have you a swizzle lollipop at some point :lol:

system7 did some good trance stuff too.
there you go wags member of gong dropping dance music using a vibrator on a guitar! what s not to love?

I am discovering that Trance has as wide a soundscape as pop music.
Today everything goes. I try new stuff with every track and didn't run out of opions yet.

But there are certain sounds and techniques which work well in trance, others may only serve in supporting or novelty role.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:42 pm Not sure about Dune2, it has somehow softer sound than what you want for (psy)trance
You sure about that? :)

Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm
recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:42 pm Not sure about Dune2, it has somehow softer sound than what you want for (psy)trance
You sure about that? :)
It is certainly possible to make trance and psy with Dune but it wouldn't be my synth of choise for leads (I used it in that project because I couldn't use Spire or Virus :wink: ) For pads and stuff it's ok.

Anyway it's just me and my own preferences, Dune has unison, FM and wavetables so techncially it should be as good for trance as any other synth having all these things (and no way i'm going to have this discussion again :hihi: )

Delta Sign wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 pm By the way, I really liked the tracks of yours you posted earlier, recursive one :tu:
Thanks! :hug:

Return to “Production Techniques”