Autolinks : distracting, really not doing anything useful.

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:01 pm wondering how this might effect using links like this
I tried and the link was wrong, instead of pointing to “this plugin” it sent me to the interwebs....

ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:23 am these autolinks are the purest crap ever invented,
That's being a bit over dramatic don't you think ?
ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:23 amAnd we'll go on complaining and showing how utterly stupid they are until they are removed again.
The complaints have been going on in this thread for 20 days and the links are still there so it looks like we might just have to learn how to ignore them.
ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:23 amI personally am not as fond as you of the KVR database or the user reviews (I find them very biased most of the time and stopped reading them)
Well the auto links point to the KVR database so someone in charge is fond of the database.
ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:23 amYou do not want some demented machine function editing a letter to your mom, do you?
Putting in links to stuff you have absolutely no control over?
You're really reaching there.....
ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:23 amThey are just a total waste of everybody's life time.
It was a test, it failed miserably, now let's take them out again and move on.
Again I think you're being way too over dramatic.

Look I find the auto links just as annoying as everyone else but my point was that in my opinion the only subforum they make sense is the Marketplace forum for the reasons I stated earlier.

So yea I'd like to see them removed from most of the subforums but I'm not going to make that big of a deal about the auto links. I can just ignore them. As long as you don't click on them they really are a non-issue. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thumbsdown went after some time (a feature I personally actually found valuable),
I see no reason why this - which is much worse and totally pointless - shouldn't.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

haven't seen one for ages, you sure it's still there?

AnX wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:08 pm haven't seen one for ages, you sure it's still there?
mobile?

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm
Hink wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:01 pm wondering how this might effect using links like this
I tried and the link was wrong, instead of pointing to “this plugin” it sent me to the interwebs....
yes, I use this style of linking all the time, the autolink might make people not inclined to click on those links...I set it to go to the word "this" out cheekiness :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:14 pm
AnX wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:08 pm haven't seen one for ages, you sure it's still there?
mobile?
as much as I can be with my knees/back

mobile?
... and yes

AnX wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 pm
mobile?
... and yes
they've been switched off for mobiles, as they were bring clicked while scrolling.

AnX wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 pm
mobile?
as much as I can be with my knees/back
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:06 pm Thumbsdown went after some time (a feature I personally actually found valuable),
I see no reason why this - which is much worse and totally pointless - shouldn't.
I just checked and despite nearly three weeks of our complaints the auto links are still there. Perhaps Ben is still experimenting and working out the kinks. We might as well be prepared for them not to go away and again just learn how to ignore them.

In fact look how well they work in this guy's thread in the marketplace:

viewtopic.php?p=8028146
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

^^^^^never saw it as a time saver like that, nice catch :tu:

Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:16 pm So yea I'd like to see them removed from most of the subforums but I'm not going to make that big of a deal about the auto links. I can just ignore them. As long as you don't click on them they really are a non-issue. :shrug:
now there's a concept

I change spellings and upper/lower case to remove them. If any commercial devs want me to advertise their product, they can pay me a fee!

Erisian wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:37 pm I change spellings and upper/lower case to remove them. If any commercial devs want me to advertise their product, they can pay me a fee!
do you wear ant tshirts, or hats or other clothing with company names and logos on them? What about stickers the sell with gear?

You know that we all advertise for products all the time and we pay for the opportunity...how many times do see a store or place selling their own marketing tshirts, or perhaps even a band selling t's at their show? People are constantly paying to advertise for other people, you'll go out of your way not to advertise for someone free when it has no negative impact on you, more the person clicking it and KvR says it was them letting you off the hook...okay but then isn't it easier just to repl*ce one letter with an * :shrug:

Return to “Site Stuff”