Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Hi Markus, will there be an Icarus update for macos, too?

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:45 am Thanks for pointing it out. It is just cosmetical. You can ignore it as it has not effect on the fuctionality. I just forgot to update the string. :ud:
That's cool. Just thought I'd let you know. Awesome synth by the way!

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:06 pm Hi Markus, will there be an Icarus update for macos, too?
v2.0.6 is PC only.
v.2.1 will be PC and Mac. I still got no date for this one, since the VST3 versions of the other products for PC (Gladiator, Electra2, Nemesis, Saurus, etc.) currently have priority.

Icarus is not VST3 native then ? Just a wrapped VST2.4 ? I deleted the 2.4 thinking I had a native VST3 but trying to run it, it tells me I need the VST2.4 version running ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Hi Levzi,

In general you never should delete files after a software installation. The software can crash or stop operating properly.
In your specific case it has no advantage to delete files after an installation of our synths.
The VST2, the VST3 and the AU version of our synthesizers do not waste any discspace and share common resources like images, patches and waveforms. The VST3 version of Icarus requires the Icarus.dll because it contains resources for it. The standalone version also requires Icarus.dll. Sharing resources by dynamically linking to a dll is a common practice in software development. A dll file is also not necessarily a VST plugin:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Link_Library
If your DAW supports VST2 as well a VST3 I recommend that you use the VST2 version, since Steinberg's VST3 format does not offer proper MIDI support. Here is some more info about it:
https://www.tone2.com/comparison%20of%2 ... rmats.html

To fix it:
1) Run the installer. Choose the installation type (Minimal/Recommended/Full)
2) Do not delete anything after the installation

Best Regards,
Markus

Markus Krause wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:33 pm Hi Levzi,

In general you never should delete files after a software installation. The software can crash or stop operating properly.
In your specific case it has no advantage to delete files after an installation of our synths.
The VST2, the VST3 and the AU version of our synthesizers do not waste any discspace and share common resources like images, patches and waveforms. The VST3 version of Icarus requires the Icarus.dll because it contains resources for it. The standalone version also requires Icarus.dll. Sharing resources by dynamically linking to a dll is a common practice in software development. A dll file is also not necessarily a VST plugin:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Link_Library
If your DAW supports VST2 as well a VST3 I recommend that you use the VST2 version, since Steinberg's VST3 format does not offer proper MIDI support. Here is some more info about it:
https://www.tone2.com/comparison%20of%2 ... rmats.html

To fix it:
1) Run the installer. Choose the installation type (Minimal/Recommended/Full)
2) Do not delete anything after the installation

Best Regards,
Markus
But if I just want the VST3 version why do I have to have the VST2.4 installed too ?

If I just want to use VST3 plugins, I don't want to have to install a 2.4 in order to get it to work.

Icarus wouldn't run as VST3 without the 2.4 installed, i've never known this from a VST3 plugin before, so I assume the VST3 is a wrapper of the 2.4 ?

LeVzi wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:08 pm But if I just want the VST3 version why do I have to have the VST2.4 installed too ?

If I just want to use VST3 plugins, I don't want to have to install a 2.4 in order to get it to work.

Icarus wouldn't run as VST3 without the 2.4 installed, i've never known this from a VST3 plugin before, so I assume the VST3 is a wrapper of the 2.4 ?
Just read Markus explanation again, sit down and think, and then read it again, until the reason – hopefully – sinks in. :roll:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:45 pm
LeVzi wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:08 pm But if I just want the VST3 version why do I have to have the VST2.4 installed too ?

Just read Markus explanation again, sit down and think, and then read it again, until the reason – hopefully – sinks in. :roll:
Well it would be better suited to putting the required .dll's in a program data folder away from my VST folder. Would make more sense. I don't install VST2 and 3 versions, besides surely would confuse the host ?

No it does not confuse the host. At least not with Tone2 plugins. VST3 and VST2 have a different plugin-id.
You can install Icarus wherever you want on your harddisc.
In general you do not have to care about anything at all. Simply run the installer. That's all. 'It just works'

Icarus demotrack competition: Win a Tone2 Complete Bundle for $999

We are doing a demo-song contest for Icarus. You can win these prizes:

1st prize: Tone2 Complete Bundle (worth $999; includes all synths, effects and expansions)
2nd prize: A Tone2 synth of your choice (worth up to $189)
3rd prize: An effect of your choice (worth up to $79)
4th prize: A sound-set of your choice (worth up to $59)

How can you take part?

1) Create one or more impressive jingles that use several instances of Icarus. The song style can be any style you want. Make it interesting with some modulation though. External drums or EQs are allowed. Be careful with compressors, limiters or clipping.

2) Save your track(s) as a 96 kHz WAV file (if possible). The file-name should include your name, so that we know which submisson was submitted by whom. Each jingle should be between 30 seconds and 60 seconds length and be submitted as a separate file.

3) Send it to info[a t]tone2[dot]com before March the 1st 2022.

4) We pick the best jingles and present them as demo-tracks on our website.

5) The winners will receive their price by email and will also be nominated in our forum.

Examples:
https://www.tone2.com/overview_ic.html

Further terms:
By submitting a demotrack you grant us the permission to use it for advertizing. The licenses of the prizes are NFR (not for resale).

We are looking forward to your submissions!
Markus & Troels

Word to the wise: if you don't already own Icarus 2, the demo doesn't save your presets between sessions. Meaning you'd have to finish the song in one session AND pray that your DAW or computer doesn't crash or there's a power outage, etc. Will be hard to do the contest unless you like printing tracks.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fact is: Carlos Eduardo Arellano won a synth of choice (worth up to $189) in the Saurus competiton. He did use the demo of Saurus.
Reference:
https://www.tone2.com/competition.html
https://www.tone2.com/mp3download/Tone2 ... 3_Jazz.mp3 1:20

Hi markus where can I find the midcc chart ?
We were chatting about it yesterday

The synths do not have a fixed midi routing. That's why there is no midi CC chart. You can route any midi CC to any knob by using Midi-learn.

1) You need to right-click on the knob
2) Select 'Midi learn->assign Midi CC
3) Move your midi controller

Ok sounds good markus my new novation slmkiii midi controller has something wrong with it , I can't do standard midi learn with it so I need to make templates for it . With midi cc

Return to “Instruments”